My very rough patch (robo-leg coming!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ZokesPro View Post
    When you read the first post in this thread it's rather sad, but you keep reading and your glad the human spirit keeps on.

Keep at it Doc.
    I plan to

I've now lost 24 lbs

Had the first trial fitting of my temporary prosthesis "socket" end mold. It needs some adjusting in a couple of areas, but not much - should have the full training wheel rig shortly. It'll take 1-2 temporaries, but for the final one they're going with a fulll heavy duty sports / outdoor model made of titanium, high strength stainless steel and high test carbon fiber so I'll be able to run. It'll have a natural looking synthetic skin cover over the foot & leg, and be able to use off the shelf footwear (yeah!!)

In the gym I'm up to 200 reps on leg lifters (on back: lift foot 1', holf 5 sec, swing way to side, hold 5, reverse) and have done a lot of 1 legged work on the parallel bars (standing, balancing, pivoting, knee bends, sitting back down etc.) Tons of upper body work has me able to do 15 wheelchair pushups (hands on arm rests, legs out, lift body off seat in sitting position using arms only.)
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 13 October 2012, 23:49.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

As someone who has spent much of this past year in a wheelchair, I'm really sorry to hear this. I now live on the west coast of Australia and as it is essentially a raised beach there is sand everywhere. Getting about was a nightmare until I invested in all-terrain type chair.

It's been a painful six months or so but we can't help the cards we're dealt with in life and having a positive outlook certainly helps. I took the time off work to go backpacking around Europe and hope to be able to look back and see how i've benefited rather than any subsequent disability...It will be a rough road ahead Doc but I'm thinking of you.

All the best mate!
      Attached Files
      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Thanks for the good wishes & thoughts Paddy, and I will be thinking of you too. It really is a tough slog - loads of hard work and training to get mobile again. Hope you progress near as well as I have. Hit the gym

Saw the prostheticist today and he expects my traing leg within a week - delayed a bit by my rapid training progress changing the shape / size of my leg - again. They're also changing the foot on Leg 1.0 to a higher functioning one because of my strength, balance & coordination changes. He says Leg 2.0 will be upgraded as well - mostly carbon fiber & titanium with a few chrome-moly fittings etc.

Might become Robo-Gramps in 2 steps instead of 3-4

Now in the labs is tech for implanting the vertical post of a prosthesis in the residual bone and have it protrude from the skin - no big leg socket at all.
        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 15 October 2012, 17:43.
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
          As someone who has spent much of this past year in a wheelchair, I'm really sorry to hear this. I now live on the west coast of Australia and as it is essentially a raised beach there is sand everywhere. Getting about was a nightmare until I invested in all-terrain type chair.

It's been a painful six months or so but we can't help the cards we're dealt with in life and having a positive outlook certainly helps. I took the time off work to go backpacking around Europe and hope to be able to look back and see how i've benefited rather than any subsequent disability...It will be a rough road ahead Doc but I'm thinking of you.

All the best mate!
          Wow I didn't know.

I'm doing so well, have nice house, wonderful girlfriend, awesome little boy, great dog, in the best mental health I've been since before my parents got divorced when I was 5 and yet you guys are going through some rough patches.

Just glad to see that no one is giving up, I hope that other MURCers have not given up on life. There are a lot of beautiful things and people that make it all worth while.
          Titanium is the new bling!
          (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Originally posted by ZokesPro View Post
            Wow I didn't know.

I'm doing so well, have nice house, wonderful girlfriend, awesome little boy, great dog, in the best mental health I've been since before my parents got divorced when I was 5 and yet you guys are going through some rough patches.

Just glad to see that no one is giving up, I hope that other MURCers have not given up on life. There are a lot of beautiful things and people that make it all worth while.
            Great to hear your life did a 180° for the positive - always good to hear. As for rough patches & handling them, I got my method from my dad - "don't bother crying in your beer, it just ruins a perfectly good brew." A real 'set your goal and all ahead full' type, and it runs in the family.
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
              Great to hear your life did a 180° for the positive - always good to hear. As for rough patches & handling them, I got my method from my dad - "don't bother crying in your beer, it just ruins a perfectly good brew." A real 'set your goal and all ahead full' type, and it runs in the family.
              Couldn't have put that better myself!
              The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Tis definitely better than giving up. And plus there's always a good side to things, if you only fixate on the negative then it'll get you nowhere. I like!
                Titanium is the new bling!
                (you heard from me first!)

Comment

GET! NEW!! LEG!!! TOMORROW!!!!

(The training prosthesis anyhow)
                  Dr. Mordrid

Comment

GET! NEW!! LEG!!! TOMORROW!!!!

(The training prosthesis anyhow)
                    Awesome!
                    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Wow, what an inspiration! Thanks for sharing, we are all pulling for you!
                      "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

I fear you'll still beat me on the 110....

This thread is really amazing. Keep the news coming (good or bad).
                        Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                        [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Problem: residual limb (stump) shrinkage.

They expect the tissues at the end of the residual limb to shrink over time, a good thing as swelling etc. reduce, but because of my exercise regimen it has shrunk far faster than they anticipated.

Result: the socket in the prosthetic limb is too large, and therefore the fit too loose, so it has to be redone over the weekend. Next try Monday afternoon or Tuesday morning.

FWIW - while I had it on I was able to walk, if with a walker for safety.

Felt good
                          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 26 October 2012, 09:15.
                          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Congrats on your progress, keep us updated!

Comment

Keep up the good work!
                              Chuck
                              秋音的爸爸

Comment

Problem: residual limb (stump) shrinkage.

They expect the tissues at the end of the residual limb to shrink over time, a good thing as swelling etc. reduce, but because of my exercise regimen it has shrunk far faster than they anticipated.

Result: the socket in the prosthetic limb is too large, and therefore the fit too loose, so it has to be redone over the weekend. Next try Monday afternoon or Tuesday morning.

FWIW - while I had it on I was able to walk, if with a walker for safety.

Felt good

So what pistol you gonna have installed in there? glock/desert eagle?
                                Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Working...
                                X