Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD 3800X Asus Tuf B450M-PRO Gaming Vega 64 Liquid Cooling Extravaganza ;)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
    Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
    +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

EK Velocity CPU waterblock has arrived OK.
      haven't got the VRM backplates yet, so waiting for that.

Have also ordered an Asus Xonar AE PCie x1 Soundcard for the Optical out, as this mobo doesn't have one.
      Also an Asus XG-C100C 10G Network card (two actually), and a Netgear GS110MX Switch, with two 10G ports (One for the Nas and one for the PC).

Nas is also going to be migrating too, to another case, Mobo, CPU, and I hope I don't lose any data.
      Have to do a complete backup before I do the switch, just in case.

edit : I have been continually updating the parts list in the first post, so check back there for links.
      Last edited by Evildead666; 5 October 2019, 10:21.
      PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.

Comment

So.

Something turned the liquid a bit blue.
        It seems the Laing Pump Impeller may have been touching somehow.

Possibly when I was tilting it to get the bubbles out of the system.
        Wouldn't have thought it could move though, a very strong magnet.

There was also some blue foam in the reservoir, but that actually looks OK, and isn't the same blue, so it doesn't seem to be that.

Have flushed out the whole system, so it seems clean.
        There was some residue in the CPU Block, which i took apart, but not so much in the GPU Block, which I just flushed out.
        The Rad was flushed too, but that is last before going back to the pump, so wasn't too bad.
        All the tubing is light blue now. Yay.

I've taken the pump apart, and cleaned it.
        That also had the most residue.

Wondering if it could be due to the liquid I used, which was from 2013, so may have gone bad.

Got new liquid, the new EK Velocity CPU block is almost identical to the Supremacy model, the base plate with the fins is the same.
        Probably no difference, but going to change ity anyway.
        I did notice when taking it off that the paste wasn't fully covering the whole CPU heatspreader, and the CPU temps could have been that, as well as the pump/liquid doing something...

So right now, i'm just going to put it all back together again, and hope the pump holds up.
        If it continues to degrade, i'll just have to change it, maybe for a different model.

It only took two or three days to go blue, so shouldn't be long before I know fully...

Cross fingers.

Comment

Well, the Velocity CPU Block isn't exactly the same size as the Supremacy, luckily having already bought all the adapters, I just needed a slightly thicker one from the second VRM to CPU.
          VRM backplates were a right pain in the backside, as the screws weren't meant to go through block + Backplate + two thickness's of thermal pad.
          At least they are helping reduce the board bending

Leak test now.

Comment

No leaks, and CPU temps have hit 58°C just on the boot and stuff.
            Benching on its way...

Comment

So far it hits 75°C max in CPU stress tests.

Its a bit cooler than the Supremacy, but I put better paste coverage this time too.
              No water discoloration yet, this liquid has a good whiff to it, Glycol smell, like car coolant, tho not as strong.
              Running it without the plastic "sponge" used for bubble management.
              After about an hour or two the bubbles calmed down.

Just making sure its stable, and up to date atm...

Xonar installed OK, and C100C 10G card as well.

Not going to be able to test the 10G card fully until the Nas is rebuilt, and working properly.

(Have an LSI SAS-9207-8i PCIe x8 card ready, and an Intel CT GigE card (required for OS, even if not used) and the other C100C.
              Hoping the LTO5 SAS drive will be seen on it, as well as 4 SATA drives on the other connector.

Will be using my other mATX board, the ASRock Z77, with 16GB Ram and a 3570K liquid cooled quad core.
              It will be running at stock, sort of "out to pasture" end of life lol
              RAM will be running as fast as I can get it, ~DDR3-2133/1866)

Comment

After a few crash/reboots (always when i'm not in front of the PC....f-ing definition of Sod's Law.)
                I have got it stable.
                It was obvious it was the GPU, but just how.
                Slapped a little bit more voltage in the P6 and P7 states, and its been looping Heaven at 1440p at Ultra for a good while now.
                I suspect that after a while, the heat loads up and the chips need more voltage to be stable.

A bit of a warm air from the rear exhaust fan. (2x2 input fans thru the rad, 'member)
                A bit worried the PSU isn't getting enough airflow, as I feel a LOT of the air is going through the single 120mm rear exhaust.
                It does seem to be positive airflow thru the PSU this time though (wasn't on last build).

Gonna leave it running for a while, until I think of a benchmark to run other than CoP bench.
                And Heaven and Superposition.

Might set 3D mark on a loop if its not going to crash (yet).

Still, it hasn't caught fire, and I haven't set fire to anything (yet, touch wood).

Comment

Took longer to crash and reboot, so more voltage yay
                  Test again.

edit : Seems to be going well.

Air from PSU is half as fast as from the 120mm exhaust, but twice as hot, at least.
                  Not sure where the airflow is leaving the case.
                  Have tape up top.
                  Maybe below ?
                  Last edited by Evildead666; 12 October 2019, 19:01.

Comment

crashed again.
                    Last try before bed.

Comment

Its stable at stock for the GPU.
                      Will have to take my time with that.
                      Not sure the settings are being applied properly.

Temps are OK, but still what i'd consider high for the CPU (~70°C Max), buit then again i've been used to a quad core for so long....
                      The GPU gets up to 41°C currently, looping Heaven at 1440p at Ultra.
                      61°C hotspot.

Have turned off PBO, as it did little to nothing at all.

No more bubbles at all now, and its pretty quiet, even with the fans at 12V.

Going to leave it going for a few days where it is so I can keep an eye on the liquid colour, and see if it changes over the next few days.
                      Pretty sure it was the expired liquid, but just want to be sure

Comment

So, no blue crap

Seems fine now.
                        Just still running Heaven on a loop to keep it warm and just see if it still crashes.
                        If alls good tomorrow, i'll be able to move it, and get down to doing the Nas next.
                        And Benching the AMD System a lot as well

Winter is coming

Comment

Final system piccies uploading.

Weird thing :
                          The PC crashes when benchmarking, just running Heaven, at all stock, No PBO, No OC on the GPU.

If i set the HWInfo to save to file, and keep the NVMe disk busy, it doesn't crash, even when overclocking the gpu.

So i'm not sure its the GPU or CPU's fault here.

I'm inclined to beleive that the Motherboard might have some part.

Comment

Running Heaven as a test.

the Sound card does make the CPU to GPU tube take a bit more of an angle than before, but its perfectly fine.

oh, and this time, instead of cutting the thermal pads short of the threads on the VRM's, I punched holes thru them for the threads, so the pads now go the full length, front and back.
                            Last edited by Evildead666; 16 October 2019, 10:28.

Comment

I think I'd move the radiator to the top of the case, this way the intakes will bring room temperature air into the case and hot air will be dissipated upwards and out of the case immediately.
                              "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

I had something similar happen on my home server. (set to never sleep)
                                Could not get it stable, so I ran hwinfo to see if fans or heat issues....100% stable while hwinfo is running.

I think its was an idle power state issue, eventually found a stable video driver and it would not crash, next driver update it started crashing again.
                                So my solution is just to run hwinfo at startup whenever I get a twitchy driver (krappy asus 250x video card)

Also the latest ryzens change power states a lot faster than previous cpu's and I don't think most mobo makers have it fully sorted yet.
                                So hwinfo may be a decent stop gap solution if it is a bios issue, but apparently it has enough of a load to effect power states on an idle computer to effect temperatures.
                                I am waiting for another bios update or 2 on my mobo before I upgrade my 1600x to a 3700x.

Comment

Working...
                                X