Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canada tops world in vaccinated population!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canada tops world in vaccinated population!!

65%+ vaccinated 1st dose, now that's some healthy competition!
    Titanium is the new bling!
    (you heard from me first!)

We (the Netherlands) are at 49% and 23% fully vaccinated and rising rapidly. Of course, it is not stated whether that is %age of population or eligible (16+) population but who cares, we're getting there. Cases, hospitalisations, although still higher than the UK I think, are al declining rapidly. Moreover, the %age who intends to get vaccinated continues to rise, now at 87%. We're getting there.

I wonder when we'll need a new vaccination, think it'll be this winter or next year?
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend View Post
      We (the Netherlands) are at 49% and 23% fully vaccinated and rising rapidly. Of course, it is not stated whether that is %age of population or eligible (16+) population but who cares, we're getting there. Cases, hospitalisations, although still higher than the UK I think, are al declining rapidly. Moreover, the %age who intends to get vaccinated continues to rise, now at 87%. We're getting there.

I wonder when we'll need a new vaccination, think it'll be this winter or next year?
      The AstraZeneca and Pfizer vaccines show sufficient efficacy (at two shots) to protect against the Delta variant. I'm betting on a booster in spring 2022 to raise effacicity against whatever becomes the variant-of-concern in winter 2021-2022.
      Last edited by dZeus; 16 June 2021, 14:07.

Comment

I read news that Mongolia who have high vaccination rate with Sinopharm have another spike in Covid cases. We'll see how this fall goes in Europe.

Comment

Originally posted by UtwigMU View Post
          I read news that Mongolia who have high vaccination rate with Sinopharm have another spike in Covid cases. We'll see how this fall goes in Europe.
          'Only' just over 50% of their population has been fully vaccinated.
          1. That leaves plenty of unvaccinated or partially vaccinated to have flare-ups of Covid
          2. I'd like to see efficacy data for the Sinopharm vaccin for the prevalent covid variant in Mongolia
          3. Even when fully vaccinated with AstraZeneca or Pfizer you don't necessarily become completely immune to Covid; the idea is that it will reduce symptoms especially reduce the chance of severe complications. And yes, this mean fully vaccinated people can still die of Covid; however, there will be much less fatalities among the fully vaccinated than an otherwise equal population that has not been vaccinated (or previously infected by Covid).
          Last edited by dZeus; 16 June 2021, 14:07.

Comment

MI only has a 55% fully vaccinated rate, mostly with mRNA vaccines from Pfizer & Moderna, but the floor absolutely dropped out of new cases, deaths, etc. Stunning, and they're working on variants at ~60%+ levels.

We are fully opening July 22.
            Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 17 June 2021, 16:08.
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
              MI only has a 55% fully vaccinated rate, mostly with mRNA vaccines from Pfizer & Moderna, but the floor absolutely dropped out of new cases, deaths, etc. Stunning, and they're working on variants at ~60%+ levels.

We are fully opening July 22.
              The same happened by summer 2020 in Europe. I think it's mostly due to favourable weather conditions combined with human behaviour that slows spread (keeping distance, being more outside/ less inside, etc.).

I'm sure vaccination helps, but if there's a pocket of unvaccinated population that has close contacts, there'll be a substantial chance of a flare up, starting with that pocket.
              I think this summer will be a race against the clock to get as many people fully vaccinated as possible before the delta variant becomes predominant.

Comment

Originally posted by dZeus View Post
                The same happened by summer 2020 in Europe. I think it's mostly due to favourable weather conditions combined with human behaviour that slows spread (keeping distance, being more outside/ less inside, etc.).

I'm sure vaccination helps, but if there's a pocket of unvaccinated population that has close contacts, there'll be a substantial chance of a flare up, starting with that pocket.
                I think this summer will be a race against the clock to get as many people fully vaccinated as possible before the delta variant becomes predominant.
                That is my thinking as well. What I find hard to get a feeling for though is how much of the drop in infections is due to the weather given that variants nowadays are more infectious than last year, but maybe R0 is still about the same under summer conditions.
                Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

About 10% of our new cases are the Delta strain and growing, but the Moderna and Pfizer- BioNTech mRNA vaccines are working on Delta at a high 88% rate.

Unfortunately, the CureVac mRNA Phase 2b/3 trial isn't working so well - just 47%. May need recoding, or mods to the proprietary delivery shell molecule they're using.
                  Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 18 June 2021, 17:05.
                  Dr. Mordrid
                  ----------------------------
                  An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
                  X