I think I killed my CPU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I killed my CPU

So I've been pushing the crap out of my cpu lately and finally settled in on 3.4G for an E6600. I raced a few laps this morning playing TM United, locked my PC(you know, so you have to put a password to get back in) and left for work.

I get home, go to unlock my computer but my monitors won't turn on. Hmmm, I wonder what might have happened. I reset the computer, no monitor, no beeps, nada... I turn off the power supply, wait 2 minutes, turn it back on, still nothing Try one memory stick at a time, also in different slots. Starting to get depressed, so I literally rip apart my computer, put it all back together and still nothing, nada, Kaput!

Anybody have any ideas besides the cpu or mobo. Since this is all brand new parts, I don't have any extra lying around to try out If it was anything other than the mobo or cpu, I'd get something, beeps, BIOS screen, something! But I get nothing. Actually, I get a familiar noise I have gotten used to when I overclock my system to high, which is, the fan on the video card spins at the highest rpm, that is how I know it wont go any further and I have to bring it down a notch.

So before I go blindly replacing parts, I thought I'd check with you guys first. Also, since I bought a retail CPU, you think they will replace it? How does that work? If I overclock, obviously it is not covered under warranty, but will they know? do they care? Thanks!
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

do the jumper thingy to reset bios

try a different PSU

It's not lupus.

I've never had a CPU die or try to return one, but I suspect they will replace it. Just don't mention the overclocking. I don't think they will be able to tell - all that info would just be in the BIOS.
    Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
    Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Does the mobo give any kind of beeps or signal? If the mobo still works and the CPU is dead you should at least get some beeps over the PC speaker. Or a code on the 7 segment display if your mobo features that.

My best guess would be the mobo or PSU is giving you trouble. You have probably already tried it, but you could reset the BIOS as Mehen sugested.
      Main Machine: Intel Q6600@3.33, Abit IP-35 E, 4 x Geil 2048MB PC2-6400-CL4, Asus Geforce 8800GTS 512MB@700/2100, 150GB WD Raptor, Highpoint RR2640, 3x Seagate LP 1.5TB (RAID5), NEC-3500 DVD+/-R(W), Antec SLK3700BQE case, BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 530W

Comment

Don't these CPUs and/or mobos have a shut-down protection mechanism? A good reset (remove battery, short pins for some time) could be all that is needed.

Do you have a volt-meter to check the PSU?
        FT.

Comment

Try clearing the cmos as mentioned incase its stuck at some high clock setting for the CPU. Otherwise, my guess would be the power supply.

Comment

edit : i need to read the 1st post better.

The GPU fan always goes at 100% on boot sequence.
            My 8800GTS and all the other variable speed fan cards i've had have done it.

Turn off PSU. Hold "Insert", switch on PSU and switch on PC until a beep. (works like clear CMOS, or bad Overclock.)

If no beep. Take out memory, gpu, and just leave the CPU, no PCI cards. No HDD's.
            Should beep like mad.
            Then put in GPU, or borrow cheap PCI GPU card. Too see if anything on screen.
            One by one, put things back in until crash.

That is, if any reaction from the first action with just CPU.
            Last edited by Evildead666; 11 July 2007, 09:43.
            PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
            Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
            +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Originally posted by |Mehen| View Post
              do the jumper thingy to reset bios

try a different PSU

It's not lupus.

I've never had a CPU die or try to return one, but I suspect they will replace it. Just don't mention the overclocking. I don't think they will be able to tell - all that info would just be in the BIOS.
              I will try clearing CMOS when I get home. I'd be really surprised if that was it since the Asus P5K recovery mechanisms are setup really well. Better than all motherboards I have used in the past. usually a reset is all that is needed to fix it.

I will try a different PSU probably this weekend(or tomorrow hopefully!). Actually, the same exact PSU I have since my buddy bought the exact same system. He is scared for me to come over and use his PC as a troubleshooting tool

It's not Lupus????
              Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by knirfie View Post
                Does the mobo give any kind of beeps or signal? If the mobo still works and the CPU is dead you should at least get some beeps over the PC speaker. Or a code on the 7 segment display if your mobo features that.

My best guess would be the mobo or PSU is giving you trouble. You have probably already tried it, but you could reset the BIOS as Mehen sugested.
                No beeps but the green LED on the mobo lights up when I flick on the PSU. I thought if your CPU was dead, you'd get no beeps? I have no 7 segment display. gonna try resetting the BIOS tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tone View Post
                  Don't these CPUs and/or mobos have a shut-down protection mechanism? A good reset (remove battery, short pins for some time) could be all that is needed.

Do you have a volt-meter to check the PSU?
                  If my system fails at overclocking, it won't allow me into the system unless I reset and down clocks everything below spec just to make sure it boots. This is why I am thinking dead CPU. I'll either check the PSU with a voltage meter or use my buddies PSU.

Comment

Originally posted by rylan View Post
                    Try clearing the cmos as mentioned in case its stuck at some high clock setting for the CPU. Otherwise, my guess would be the power supply.
                    As I mentioned in the above post, the way Asus works on this mobo is that it clears the high overclock if it fails and underclocks everything so when you reset, it will boot up.

Comment

Originally posted by Evildead666 View Post
                      edit : i need to read the 1st post better.

The GPU fan always goes at 100% on boot sequence.
                      My 8800GTS and all the other variable speed fan cards i've had have done it.
                      Yep, and usually after the first few secodns it slows down, atleast on my setup, but ow it just spins at the highest rpm forever

Turn off PSU. Hold "Insert", switch on PSU and switch on PC until a beep. (works like clear CMOS, or bad Overclock.)
                      Never heard of this one! Tried ti quickly this morning before I left but didn't seem to resolve anything.

If no beep. Take out memory, gpu, and just leave the CPU, no PCI cards. No HDD's.
                      Should beep like mad.
                      Then put in GPU, or borrow cheap PCI GPU card. Too see if anything on screen.
                      One by one, put things back in until crash.

That is, if any reaction from the first action with just CPU.
                      I'll try this, thanks.

BTW, thank you to everyone who replied with suggestions, much appreciated! I'll try all of these things when I get home.

One last thing I thought of is that the mobo led comes on and if I disconnect the video card secondary power connector(6 pin), the video card emits this awful squealing! I guess that is what it is supposed to do without the 6 pin connector?

Thanks everyone! I'll post more as I find out more.

Comment

Do you have any clue how hot was the CPU running at 3.4G?
                        Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Comment

It's not lupus. It's never lupus. Just helping you out in your differential diagnosis.

It's a House reference.
                          Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
                          Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Originally posted by ND66 View Post
                            Do you have any clue how hot was the CPU running at 3.4G?
                            Yep, very cool. 21-23c at idle depending on time of day and 41-47c at load. but it's not the CPU because I just replaced it and still no go I think it's the mobo. Tomorrow I will plug in my buddy's PSU and if still doesn't work after that, I will buy a new mobo to make sure.

Fry's has a great return policy so no money out of my pocket, just frustration and time...

Comment

BTW, I did clear cmos and pull everything out but the cpu and still nothing. Also, the manual says that you only need to clear cmos if something in BIOS(other than overclocking) is keeping the system from booting up. Otherwise just power down the system, power back up and tada! you are back up and going again. This is for bad overclocks only.

Comment

Working...
                              X