X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funemployment

LA Times story....

For the 'funemployed,' unemployment is welcome

These jobless folks, usually singles in their 20s and 30s, find that life without work agrees with them. They're not sending out resumes, but instead lazing at the beach and taking trips abroad.

By Kimi Yoshino
    7:35 PM PDT, June 3, 2009

Michael Van Gorkom was laid off by Yahoo in late April. He didn't panic. He didn't rush off to a therapist. Instead, the 33-year-old Santa Monica resident discovered that being jobless "kind of settled nicely."

Week one: "I thought, 'OK . . . I need to send out resumes, send some e-mails, need to do networking."

Week two: "A little less."

Every week since: "I'm going to go to the beach and enjoy some margaritas."

What most people would call unemployment, Van Gorkom embraced as "funemployment."

While millions of Americans struggle to find work as they face foreclosures and bankruptcy, others have found a silver lining in the economic meltdown. These happily jobless tend to be single and in their 20s and 30s. Some were laid off. Some quit voluntarily, lured by generous buyouts.

Buoyed by severance, savings, unemployment checks or their parents, the funemployed do not spend their days poring over job listings. They travel on the cheap for weeks. They head back to school or volunteer at the neighborhood soup kitchen. And at least till the bank account dries up, they're content living for today.

"I feel like I've been given a gift of time and clarity," said Aubrey Howell, 29, of Franklin, Tenn., who was laid off from her job as a tea shop manager in April. After sleeping in late and visiting family in Florida, she recently mused on Twitter: "Unemployment or funemployment?"

Never heard of funemployment? Here's Urban Dictionary's definition: "The condition of a person who takes advantage of being out of a job to have the time of their life. I spent all day Tuesday at the pool; funemployment rocks!"

It may not have entered our daily lexicon yet, but a small army of social media junkies with a sudden overabundance of time is busy Tweeting: "Funemployment road trip to Portland." "Funemployment is great for catching up on reading!" "Averaging 3 rounds of golf a week plus hockey and bball. who needs work?"

As frivolous as it sounds, funemployment is a statement about American society. Experts say it's both a reflection of the country's cultural narcissism -- and attitudes of entitlement and self-centeredness -- and a backlash against corporate America and its "Dilbert"-like work environment.

"Recession gives people permission to be unemployed," said David Logan, a professor at USC's Marshall School of Business. "Why not make use of the time and go do something fun?"
    >
    >
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

As frivolous as it sounds, funemployment is a statement about American society. Experts say it's both a reflection of the country's cultural narcissism -- and attitudes of entitlement and self-centeredness -- and a backlash against corporate America and its "Dilbert"-like work environment.
    Why the hand wringing I wonder? If they have the money, then more power to them.
    On the other hand, if it's on their parents or credit cards then that could be a problem.

If it's unemployment insurance payments, then I wonder what the plan is when it runs out.

You know, there might be a societal benefit to some people doing retirement when they are young and going back to work, possibly of necessity, when they are older. It might help fill in the employee shortage that will come when the baby boomers are gone.
    Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

Comment

For the record: standard unemplyment benefits were recently extended to a full 2 years, and if the recession deepens (as I expect it too when Obama-flation hits) I'd bet on them being extended further.
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I feel two ways about this. First.. if you're on the unemployment dole and doing this... I'm not ok with it. Either stop taking the checks or get a job.

However, if you can afford to not work, and you can relax, write that book, take a cheap trip.. why not? Why wait until your 70 to enjoy life when you've worked non-stop for 40-50 years and don't know how to relax and enjoy.. and have a hard time getting around.

There is the concept of the mini-retirement where instead of saving it all till the end you might never see break it up throughout life. In Europe a month long vacation every year is normal and expected. Here we just don't do it and burn out at 30. It shouldn't be about the money but doing something constructive with your life AND enjoying it.

I say this as I spend 40-60 hours a week working for a giant company and am often woken at 1am by a server issue. My art often is ignored. Also, if I'm unemployed and worrying about money.. I can't focus enough to make art either. Now if I could find a way to make just enough to get by and then focus only on my art most of the time? Score.

In the end, nothing wrong with this IF you aren't milking the system.
        Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
          For the record: standard unemplyment benefits were recently extended to a full 2 years...
          I don't think unemployment benefits would make a good base for Funemployment in Oklahoma.

Chuck
          秋音的爸爸

Comment

Michigan unemployment benefits average between $81 and $362/week.
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Oklahoma's can go up to $409.
              But there are a lot of strings attached.
              Chuck
              秋音的爸爸

Comment

funemployment was the reason i just spent a month and a half in Florida on vacation crashing at a friends houses.
                www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

No private company here will let you take more than three weeks, even getting three weeks is hard. I have 20 days leave a year in my contract, since last August I've taken 3 days off.

Comment

Here benefits depend on your wage. If no previous employment you can apply for welfare which is 220€ a month. What I like is that the previous right-wing government introduced measures where if one was not actively seeking employment (going weekly to unemployment office, taking free application writing courses, writing job applications and keeping with the program his adviser there set up) or refused job two levels below his education, one ended up without benefits.

Comment

On the subject of social programs - California is in such a muck up from its welfare state excesses The Governator is now actually talking about eliminating welfare and other such programs (link....)

Thing is that with the size of their deficit and the hell that would rain down on the Dems if Obama 'bailed out' a commonly perceived as fiscally irresponsible (and factually correct) California with other states tax moniest. His and support in middle America would evaporate even faster than it already is (see the Rasmussen post).
                      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 8 June 2009, 18:39.
                      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I've been funemployed for over 10 years now and counting! As usual, I'm a trend setter.
                        <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

You Sir, are my Idol.
                          Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                          [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

I'm pretty sure my 11 years as an undergraduate would qualify
                            Chuck
                            秋音的爸爸

Comment

Well Chuck, you apparently did still feel the need to accomplish enough to graduate so it wasn't all fun and games. I don't have any lofty goals right now so I can just do whatever I want at the moment. Love the freedom. Of course, I've got the wife to contend with so I need to pitch in around here to not upset her too much but that doesn't take much of my time. I may seek employment again some day when I get bored but it hasn't happened yet. I do love engineering and wouldn't mind working with some good folks again or just launch something on my own but I just keep too busy having fun.
                              <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Working...
                              X