Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Northbridge and VIA South...Help a Brutha Out...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Northbridge and VIA South...Help a Brutha Out...

OK..to get my mind off my crashed drive and help out a friend, I'm going to help him install W2K on a Classic Athlon 700MHz system. I'm nearly certain that the Northbridge is a AMD (will pop-off the greenie HS and take a look), but the South is certainly a VIA. So how do I do this...? Load the drivers for the North from AMD, and everything from the 4in1 except the AGP GART? All the friggin systems I have put together and I haven't once done a AMD+VIA mix. Clues??

AGP is handled by the northbridge, so you will want to use that, I believe you are looking for the AMD 751.

The PCI and memory, along with the IRQ handler are handled by the southbridge. Best solution is to check with the motherboard manufacturer.

Comment

It's a friggin Compaq. I don't know if they make their own MB's or not. If it is just a run-of-the-mill consumer MB, I can't figure out what it is...BIOS boot screen is no help, as all you get to see is a Compaq splash screen.

Comment

Have you tried searching for info for the specific model number? Compaq definitely makes their own boards, just not all of the time. My mother's K6-2 Compaq has an SiS chipset in it.
        If it is a 751, definitely the AGP patch from AMD. And for VIA you might want the IRQ-miniport. I'd hold off on the IDE drivers though.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Compaq......

URG......

Abort abort...

Eject Eject...

Ok fun apart:

Remember the AMD patch for AGP gfx cards!
          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Ehhh...loaded the AMD patch for AGP...skipped the VIA 4in1 for now. Seems that, with W2k, loading the busmaster drivers can be a big problem. If you load the BM drivers in W2k and THEN change your ATAPI configuration, you can kill Windows. VIA apparently recommends that you UNINSTALL the BM drivers before making any changes to the your ATAPI configuration, reboot, shutdown, make your changes, THEN reinstall the BM drivers. Sheesh...I wish VIA knew how to write software.

Comment

Working...
            X