Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading question

Hi,

I've been lurking around these boards for a while and thought it was about time I actually registered and posted something!

So here goes.

I currently have a problem with my AGP port. On a cold boot I get 8 beeps from Amibios indicating a Graphical problem. After about 1/2 an hour when my PC warms up it re-boots ok.
    So I tried removing my G400 and slapping in an old Voodoo Banshee to try to track down if the problem was due to my G400 or the AGP slot on my Mobo.
    Well, I got the same problem on the Banshee so I thought Hmm, AGP slot. 'Yipee! an excuse for an upgrade'.

Soo after a bit of shopping around (trying to spend as little as possible) I have settled on a Gigobyte GA-71XE4 MoBo with a 750Mhz Duron and 128Meg of pc133 RAM. (Oh and a soundblaster Value - since my other sound was included in the Mobo)

Soo I'm almost ready to start the upgrade. Now I havn't upgraded anything more than a modem/Gfx card/Ethernet card before and a full Mobo seems to be a fairly big job. So I have a question or two.

Firstly, the Mobo manual says that I should set the CPU speed based on the speed of the CPU via a number of switches on the Mobo. Does anyone know what host clock speed and multiplier a 750Mhz Duran has? I couldn't find anything on the AMD site.

Secondly, Just how important is cooling? My current case only has a PSU fan with its intake pointing forwards. On the AMD site it reccomended a case with a downwards pointing intake so it would draw air from the CPU area and also a second fan in the back of the case - again near to the CPU area with an air intake at the front of the case. I guess I'm a bit worried about overheating with my (in comparison) badly ventilated case. Should I invest in a new one (bearing in mind I'm trying to do this as cheaply as possible)?

And lastly, Will Windows (98) automatically recognize the new mobo and the port settings etc. or will there be anything which I need to do specifically?

Many thanks (in advance) for responding to this long and windy post

Uppity

My advice...

New Mobo = FULL OS REINSTALL.

You aren't obligated to take my advice, but if you don't you'll wish you had.

- Gurm

------------------
    Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    If only life were as easy as you
    I would still get screwed

Comment

CPU clock multiplier = 7.5
      Host clock speed (front side bus) = 100 MHz
      Therefore, CPU clock = 750 MHz

You have an unusual motherboard, in that it uses the Socket A form factor, but it uses the AMD 750 chipset (AMD 751 North Bridge and AMD 756 South Bridge). You will have to install drivers for the board after installing Windows 98. There is an AGP Miniport driver, an IDE Bus Master Driver, and an IRQ Driver for Windows 98 and the 756 South Bridge's Peripheral Bus Controller. The Miniport is *essential.* Both AMD and Intel like screwing up their IDE Busmastering drivers, so you might want to stick with the driver that installs with Windows. (I have no idea about that IRQ driver. Sorry. I just don't remember.)

These drivers probably shipped from your motherboard. AMD keeps the latest and some older versions here:

http://www.amd.com/products/cpg/bin/

I haven't used an "Irongate" motherboard in quite some time, so maybe someone here can help with which driver versions are best. If not, you might want to pick the brains of the folks at AMD Zone's forums. Here's a link:

http://www.amdzone.com/forum/categories.cfm?catid=2

I'm a big believer in the "new motherboard/fresh install of Windows" theory as well.

Good luck and welcome.

Paul
      paulcs@flashcom.net

[This message has been edited by paulcs (edited 10 January 2001).]

Comment

As for cooling, I think most people here will agree that cooling is very important. I believe this to be a good case cooling configuration:

a single fan at the bottom of the front panel (blowing in cool air) and

two fans at the top back (power supply and a case fan blowing out hot air).

Hot air rises. Also, your CPU and videocard generate a lot of heat, and you want exhaust fans at the top of the case blowing the hot air they generate out.

Buying a new case has two benefits if you get a good one. Firstly, you'll improve your cooling situation. Secondly, you'll get a decent, AMD approved power supply. You'll want at least a *300* Watt PSU. Antec and Addtronics cases come with good power supplies and nice cooling options.

I don't think you should cut fiscal corners with your case or power supply. Not with an AMD rig.

Paul
        paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

I have decided to buy a new case too (also for the added reason that I think it will be easier to build)

I'll also go for a full OS reinstall - I was probably due one anyway as my registry has got a little bit screwed over time, and also there is loads of crap on my HD and a bit of corrupt data so I think I'll also go for a full HD format too. Hmm, maybe I should buy a bigger one? (aarrghh, when will it stop?)

Anyhow, I'm hoping to get it all done this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.

It would be nice to see the G400 in action with the help of a faster CPU as opposed to my current P2 350.

------------------
          Uppity
          Uppity

Comment

Working...
          X