Duron slower than Athlon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duron slower than Athlon?

Just for a laugh, pop over to Anandtech and look at their AMD article and see if it makes any sense to you.

According to them the Duron as we all know is an Athlon with on-die L2 cache. The amount of L2 cache is still unconfirmed but guaranteed to be less than the Athlon. They provide a nice performance graph with Duron, (incorrectly labelled), Athlon, Celeron & P!!!. The 600Mhz Duron is marginally slower than the Celeron of the same speed but quite a bit slower than a 500Mhz Athlon!

When Intel released the Celeron's with on-die cache they performed close to PII's of the same clock speed due to the cache, although smaller, running at twice the speed. The Duron will have less cache running at twice, or more, the speed of the Athlon's but it also runs at the same FSB speed which the Celeron's don't so I would expect performance to be equal.

Am I gettting things wrong or are Anandtech speaking out of their arses or have AMD done something else to the Duron's to reduce performance in the same way Intel has with the Celeron II's?
    When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Anandtech usually doesn't know what he's doing. He doesn't seem to give enough information there about what he's using for testing, anyways.

I won't say he's right or wrong, I'm just going to throw out his report.

Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Robs 100% right, Anand (the spoiled brat) leaves out and or doesn't double check his handiwork/ verify any real problems he may encounter. Now I need to buy more salt.
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

LOL

Comment

The more I read on Anandtech the more dubious I am of the information there but I thought I would run it past you guys in case it was me that was missing something.
          When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

I read somewhere that the Duron has 64k of L2 Cache. If that were true then I could see where it might be slower than the Celeron. I hope it has 128kb, cause I can't see it slower than a Celeron with the same amount of L2 Cache
            [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
            Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
            Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
            Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
            Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

It might only have 64kB of L2 cache. That would make it cheaper to make. However, it has 128kB of L1 cache, vs. the Celeron's 32kB of L1.
              That's part of what makes an Athlon so fast. It does a lot of OOO and prediction to support its deep pipeline, so it needs a pretty large L1 to keep the fetches efficient.
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I believe the Duron uses 128K L1 paired to a 64K L2, which gives it greater total cache than Celeron, and I also believe that the Duron's cache is more asociative than Celeron's, whether that will help or not....

Don't forget Duron has a sizable advantage on the bus side of things. Celeron's 66MHz bus is downright pitiful.

Check out http://www.jc-news.com/pc/

------------------
                ABIT BF6, Pentium III SL35D 450MHz -> 630MHz, 192MB PC100 SDRAM @ 140MHz, Toshiba 6X DVD, Quantum Fireball Plus KA, Quantum Fireball ST,
                Matrox Millenium G400 DH @ 160/200, Creative SBLive Value, 3Com Fast Etherlink XL PCI
                Supermicro SC701A ATX 300watt TurboCool PC Power & Cooling PS, Panasonic Panasync S17
                Last edited by dneal; 20 May 2022, 08:55.

Comment

Doesn't matter too much to me, if it's cheap enough, I'm getting one as an interim system.
                  (Duron that is)

[This message has been edited by DentyCracker (edited 05 May 2000).]
                  [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                  Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                  Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                  Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                  Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Duron will be faster than a Celeron,may be faster than the classic Athlon(Classic?it's less than a year old!)
                    Anand benchmarks are dubious,I believe the sysmark 2000 he used heavily favors sse instruction.
                    All we can do is wait for the real world benchmarks,should be real soon!
                    Let's hope Greebe reads this and is ready to figure out how to overclock these!
                    Feed the rich and get poor or feed the poor and get rich!

Comment

Working...
                    X