External Modem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• External Modem

Looking at getting an external Courier V modem so I can be ISA-less and free up that 6th PCI slot. So what do you need besides an external modem, cable and enabled serial port? Just one IRQ needed?

------------------
    ASUS P3B-F * P III 500 * 256MB ECC RAM * Two Cheetah LVD's * Barracuda UW * DiamondMAX IDE * Plextor Ultraplex 40max/Plexwriter 12/4/32 * Hitachi IDE DVD * 2940U2W * SB Live * 3Com 905B-TX NIC * 3Com Courier V. * Hollywood + * Win 98SE, Win 2000 *

MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
    Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
    512MB regular Crucial PC2100
    Matrox P
    X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
    LianLiPC70

It just takes the IRQ of your serial port you have it plugged into.

Rags

Comment

Thank you Rags.
      Matrox P
      LianLiPC70

Comment

I've got an external USR Courier V.everything modem, and it is rock solid. If I'm not mistaken, though, internally the serial ports are on an ISA bus.

The modem has a 25 pin serial connector, and virtually all ATX mobo's these days have the 9 pin serial connector, so you will need a 25-9 serial cable. (or is it 9-25?)

Yup, just one IRQ.

Comment

Hi Thundrchez, thanks for the input. The internal ISA Courier is great too, but I want to use my 6th PCI slot so I can get something out of PCI slot 1 so the MAX is all by itself.
          Matrox P
          LianLiPC70

Comment

Hi SComp,

Be careful what you put in slot 6, cards in slot 5 and slot 6 HAVE to be PCI 2.1 compliant fully, and the card in slot 6 has to be capable of working as a PCI slave device. I think you can find more about this on the ASUS website.

Rags

Comment

Hi Rags, appreciate that advice. The P3B-F, or any MB with 6 PCI slots, is new territory for me. This upgrade has been a bit frustrating for me.

I have a Domex PCI SCSI card for my UMAX 2400S Scanner that I want to try there. With the P2B-LS, I had the scanner connected to the wide external case connector (using a 68 to 50 pin adapter that terminated the high byte, of course).

Well the first scan always gave me streaks with the LS, whether the scanner bulb had never went to sleep or not. UMAX felt it had something to do with SCSI ID's "bleeding over." Well what do I know, had to take their word for it, so I stuck a Domex ISA SCSI card in there and lo and behold no streaks on first scan.

Now I have a Domex PCI SCSI card in slot 1 on the P3B-F for the scanner, shares an IRQ with MAX, but seems to cause no trouble. But we are back to that first scan is awful again. So if the PCI card won't work in slot 6, back to the ISA card.

------------------
              ASUS P3B-F * P III 500 * 256MB ECC RAM * Two Cheetah LVD's * Barracuda UW * DiamondMAX IDE * Plextor Ultraplex 40max/Plexwriter 12/4/32 * Hitachi IDE DVD * 2940U2W * SB Live * 3Com 905B-TX NIC * 3Com Courier V. * Hollywood + * Win 98SE, Win 2000 *

[This message has been edited by SCompRacer (edited 20 April 2000).]
              Matrox P
              LianLiPC70

Comment

Working...
              X