No announcement yet.

Best father's day combo gift ever (imo)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best father's day combo gift ever (imo)

A Traxxas TRX-6 Flatbed Hauler and a Traxxas Toyota GR Supra

Last edited by ZokesPro; 17 June 2022, 09:55. Reason: espescially the hauler
    Titanium is the new bling!
    (you heard from me first!)

Originally posted by ZokesPro View Post
    A Traxxas TRX-6 Flatbed Hauler and a Traxxas Toyota GR Supra

https://traxxas.com/products/landing/toyota-supra/
    Great gift. I still have my RC truck that I got when I was 10.

Comment

My gift: a new custom leather waistband holster for my SIG's compact frame option. Already had holsters for the sub-compact and full size configurations.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

ITW holster?

What is the SIG model?

Comment

Ah, you guys know about guns. So I may be traveling to the US next year, late spring. We may be in Colorado Springs for a couple of days. Me and my (24yo) kid want to shoot. They want to shoot a revolver, I want to shoot a gun and a sniper rifle, try 500 yards or so (I'll be a complete failure of course). We are rather light, I weigh about 65Kg, they about 55-60Kg. I assume some revolvers/guns are simply to big to realistically use? So what kind of models should I think about, you know, not to much recoil to blow us back?

Also, what kind of enterprise should I look for to give instructions and provide the weapons and ammo on range? I am guessing we could be busy for like 6 hours? I've seen gun ranges and gun clubs but is there a specific name to the kind of establishment I should look for?
          Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
          [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend View Post
            Ah, you guys know about guns. So I may be traveling to the US next year, late spring. We may be in Colorado Springs for a couple of days. Me and my (24yo) kid want to shoot. They want to shoot a revolver, I want to shoot a gun and a sniper rifle, try 500 yards or so (I'll be a complete failure of course). We are rather light, I weigh about 65Kg, they about 55-60Kg. I assume some revolvers/guns are simply to big to realistically use? So what kind of models should I think about, you know, not to much recoil to blow us back?

Also, what kind of enterprise should I look for to give instructions and provide the weapons and ammo on range? I am guessing we could be busy for like 6 hours? I've seen gun ranges and gun clubs but is there a specific name to the kind of establishment I should look for?
            Recoil (Rifles or Pistols): For what is commonly-available to citizens in the USA I'll say this: Don't worry about Recoil. Shooting even the most powerful handguns and rifles requires nothing more than a proper grip. For handguns, a firm grip, like for example a holding a .5kg hammer when hammering nails, is about the only amount of "Strength" needed. More is better, but the "Strength" requirement is quite low; I've seen 1.4 Meter tall women handle full power .44/.50 Magnum loads with a fair degree of ease. Rifles are even easier: setting the stock firmly into the crotch of the shoulder is all that is necessary even for Big Game rifles. One Caveat: shooting a rifle from a rested position such as off a bench or prone lying on the ground will result in a little more felt recoil because your body can't act as a recoil carriage and move with the recoil. In the case of benched (hunched forward over the rifle, or prone), your shoulder take all of the recoil energy directly. Some Benchrest configurations avoid this by keeping the upper body completely upright, will result in a similar recoil experience to standing freehand (Less felt recoil than prone or hunched forward).

In Colorado Springs, https://magnumshootingcenter.com/ is probably where you want to go for a "one stop shop" for everything you might want to try. Also, they are one of the few ranges in the USA which offer Machine Gun Rentals (Not cheap, fully Instructor supervised).
            Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Kewl, good to know.

On Magnum, the thing is, as far as I can tell they are fully indoors and I would think that that precludes sniper rifles (the range would not be over 100 yards, less than that?). But I could drop them a line for sure. Not interested in Machine Guns, LOL. Just handgun and sniper rifle. The latter is probably ludicrous but he, it is a holiday and we may have a day of fun.

So with respect to the handgun, what would be, I donnow, typical guns one would start with? I mean, I assume something 9mm with a clip but other than that, no clue. No need for IR target seeker or anything, just run of the mill, perhaps a type popular with law enforcement or somesuch. And for a revolver, S&W .45? Really no clue (I should probably ask such a gun range for advice).
              Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
              [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

I don't know about USA but you can check locally. When I was at local gunshop I saw two Dutch sport shooters shopping (that gunshop ships worldwide but only items that require no permit like belts, timers, holsters, ...). The most popular revolver is 357 Magnum and 357 Magnum revolvers can also shoot 38 special. 38 special is shorter but since it's a revolver, you can shoot shorter less powerful ammo. For target, you want 4" or longer gun barrel as longer barrel reduces recoil, has longer time of charge acting on projectile, which results in faster speed and more projectile stability and it's easier to aim due to greater distance between sights. The shorter or snub-nose (2-3") revolvers are typically used for self defense as they are more concealable and revolver is more reliable than handgun, lower probability of stop.

The heavier and longer the hand-gun, the less recoil and easier to reacquire target.
                For 9mm, the most popular handgun currently is a Glock. The 17 model is larger and should be better for the range, smaller ones are meant for carry. It's reliable and has striker action (every shot is the same as oposed to dual action where first shot cocks the hammer and is different than subsequent shots where action cocks the hammer).

Also try 1911. It is still very popular in competition. Unlike Glock and other strikers, it's a dual action, so subsequent shots require less trigger pull and are more precise. Many makers make 1911 ranging from affordable to competition and collector models.

For revolvers Americans rule, they make the best stuff: Colt or Smith&Wesson. There are some other butique companies specializing in competition or specialty revolvers.

The trickiest part of shooting is actually the trigger pull. Because you anticipate shot, you flinch slightly and during trigger pull move gun off target. The trigger needs to be pulled lightly and the shot should surprise you.

You can actually own black powder weapons (this was used up until about 1870 when cartridges and repeating rifles came in popularity with US civil war) in most of Europe without permit and there is Italian company Uberti who make replicas of all popular Wild West revolvers ranging from black powder to late Colt cartridge model.

They are owned by Beretta, which is very old Italian family business who made guns for Venetian republic in 1600s.

The 357 Magnum and 38 special became popular in early 1900s. Larger calibers became popular after WW2 - IE Dirty Harry 44 Magnum was introduced in 1955 and they were popular until 1980s, 1990s when semi-auto pistols started to become more popular with police.

I don't know about Netherlands but entire EU has gun laws harmonized with EU directives, so they should be similar. Here anyone can come to the range and shoot with instructor. If you have a permit, you can shoot without instructor and bring your own gun and ammo. You can shoot revolvers at indoor ranges, which typically have up to 25m stages and typically allow for all handgun ammunition and 22 Long Rifle. .22 long rifle is what you see at Olympics, biathlon and is less powerful than typical handgun ammo. You generally don't need hearing aid for .22 LR and recoil is comparable to air gun. This is what kids start shooting with in their teens. Typical handgun/revolver range is 5-10m, this is must fun as you will mostly hit target when you start. For rifles you use smaller targets at 20-25m. Try going to local range in NL once before the trip so they show you basics, If not NL, then Germany or France. US range will be more fun this way.

For 500m you want outdoor range and those are usually in rural areas, typically operated by hunting societies and also some military ranges are open to civilians. Unlike indoor ranges which are typically open on workdays, you need to come to an organized event because they typically don't operate every day. You don't need to start with large calibre sniper rifle: You can get a very decent Ruger (US), Ceska Zbrojovka or Sako (Finland) 22LR rifle for 500-1000 EUR (less used) and with more expensive ammo and scope you can shoot up to 500m. Advantage is: low recoil, very cheap ammo, not loud, light, beginner friendly. Also good for hunting small game. There are many different semi-auto replicas of military-like rifles made in 22LR.

Typically a range has set of handguns and rifles which they lend out to guests and usually they have cool models. In Slovenia going to range costs 20-50 EUR, biggest part of that is ammo. Recently the price of ammo has gone up. If you go, take at least 100 rounds as 50 runs out very quickly. You will also need hearing protection and glasses - only if you don't wear them and those can be borrowed at the range.

An outdoor range might have steel targets which are very fun to shoot as you get immediate feedback. There are also dynamic steel targets like Texas star which are a lot of fun.

For sniper Mauser is most popular in Europe (what Germans had in WW1 and WW2), in USA 30 06 and 300 Winchester Magnum are most popular.

I weighed less than 70kg in the army and had no problem shooting AK and hitting targets up to 400m and was above average with no prior experience.
                Last edited by UtwigMU; 29 June 2022, 14:43.

Comment

Many thanks. So we're not going to a range in NL (or EU), we'd like to do this is part of our USA trip. Fun and giggles even though, you know, at a range you'd have to act responsibly. Not looking to buy anything, it'll have to be rentals at the range.

So a smaller Glock would be a 19? I think I'll go for that one (assuming they have it of course). For the sniper rifle, the M24 I like, mainly as it is the primary sniper rifle used by the US Army and I'd like to try "common" guns.

Comment

Do you need to have your own ear protection? Or is it better to have your own (better quality/fit)?
                    pixar
                    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Good & relevant question. I am hoping to rent it all.

Comment

You typically get earmuffs at the range. Wearing earmuffs worn by many other people is subjective. You can get a bag of earplugs for like 5-10 EUR but it's a hassle to take in and out often. I got 3M Earmuffs for like 30 EUR, the same kind guys on factory floor used at previous job. If you want to get fancy, you can get active earmuffs for 100-200 EUR, so you hear conversation and orders.

Earplugs come handy for other uses as well.
                        Last edited by UtwigMU; 30 June 2022, 13:54.

Comment

Once I went with a friend to Nemo 33 in Bruxelles. Since I dived before my experience was way better and I got all the way down to the 33m depth. Had I never dived before I could still be snorkeling around.

Comment

Originally posted by UtwigMU View Post
                            Once I went with a friend to Nemo 33 in Bruxelles. Since I dived before my experience was way better and I got all the way down to the 33m depth. Had I never dived before I could still be snorkeling around.
                            You can have a blast diving in Lake Huron, either the
                            Canadian or the US side. Tons of shipwrecks play with, especially around Tobermory. Most are shallow, the water clear. Just don't be surprised if you come around the bow of a wreck and come nose to nose with a muskellunge.
                            Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 30 June 2022, 15:35.
                            Dr. Mordrid
                            ----------------------------
                            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

You know, the flatbed RC can haul all your firearm needs, plus with the fun of driving an RC! Hehe.

Funny how I started this thread as an RC thread and it ended up with guns. LOL

Speaking of which.... My fav weapon of all times (that I own, aside from all the kobudo weapons, but not a gun) is my Cheness Cutlery 9260 Silicon Steel katana, the "Tenchi" with synthetic ray skin.
                              Bought one back in 2014 when the the exchange rate was almost at parity.
                              The pandemic killed the company off and they have barely anything left, oh well.
                              I do regret not buying the 1045 folded steel when they first came out but I opted for the more performant model a few years later.
                              Although it is far from traditional, (through hardened blade, synthetic ray skin, non folded 9260 alloy steel) I do love it very much.
                              It was hand forged and hand made with traditional fitting, traditional tsuka and tsuba and everything else but that's where the traditional part stops.
                              The blade is made with pure modern alloy steel, but not folded and not differentially hardened.
                              It has a modern feel to it, and I'm a modern type of guy so I like it a lot.
                              It was made to cut more than just human flesh, for tatami mats and competition cutting at a low cost, solid but no bling. (btw, titanium is the new bling, you heard it from me first)
                              It's my zombie apocalypse weapon along with my skeleton key (a steel crowbar) for delicate lock picking and gentle windows opening and such.

But don't get me wrong.
                              Owning a real authentic katana made in it's truest fashion by the best Japanese forge would be swell and all, but it would also be locked up and I would never actually touch it.
                              As for this one well.... don't tell the wife but while cutting a bottle outside, I kind of hit the metal fence pole at full force and kind of dented it bad enough that she'd yell at me!
                              As for the blade, there was some light dulling where it made contact but I needed my glasses to actually know where it hit cause I polished that baby to the point where it's so sharp I can slice an atom into Julian fries!
                              Okay, maybe not but I did cut myself about 16 times while getting it that sharp and sometimes I would shave thick flakes of skin off the tip of fingers by accident.

Sorry bro's I don't own a gun nor do I handle them, so a katana is the best story your gonna get from me.
                              Titanium is the new bling!
                              (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Working...
                              X