Crew Dragon: Polaris Dawn mission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crew Dragon: Polaris Dawn mission

Polaris Dawn's launch is NET November 2022. This is the first of three launches in the Polaris Project, which will culminate in the first crewed Starship launch.

Shooting for an altitude of ~1400 km, which would break an LEO record of 1368 km held by Gemini 11, 2 crew members will do a spacewalk in SpaceX's new EVA suit. This suit is to evolve into their lunar and Mars suit, and is part of a competition to provide suits to NASA.

All four crew members will wear the suit for launch, re-entry, and during spacewalks.

SpaceX training begins this month for first commercial spacewalk mission

>
    The new suit will look more like SpaceX’s in-cabin pressure suits than the NASA’s older, bulky spacesuits used for excursions outside the International Space Station, Isaacman said.

“You’re adding lots of redundancies in the suit that don’t exist today, since it’s more last line of defense,” [...]
    >
    “You have a new visor, new seals, then mobility joints everywhere for increased mobility and dexterity in the fingers and such. I think, visually, it will be more along the lines of what it currently looks like, but very much like a new suit.”
    >
    Crew Dragon Polaris Dawn spacewalk - 1500.jpg
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 11 May 2022, 09:38.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Still scheduled to launch NET November, 2022

Jared Isaacman @rookisaacman
    Solid med & research training lately. Lots ofcollected & proficiency w/SpaceX

really enhanced med training & sample collection for flight. I did get pressurized in EVA dev suit..no [pics] yet! Hard not to think someday people may wear an evolution of this suit on Mars

Crew Dragon Polaris Dawn spacewalk - 1500.jpg
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
    X