Dune

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dune

Watched this. 6.5/10 Watchable if you like sci-fi. They hired writer from Prometheus and it shows, although this one is watchable while Prometheus wasn't. Visuals are great, cast is OK. The problem is pacing and introduction. Events just take place without a set up and world-building. Then journey starts and gets absurd pacing where one epic event follows another. Less Marry Sue than Star Wars but still a kid is the chosen one, can pilot through storms, after long walk through desert and having witnessed closed ones killed can defeat a local wielding local weapon for the first time. A bit of last Samurai moment and movie ends.

This was the first of 2 films, the second covering the wars on Arrakis.

Agree with the scoring; stream not so much theater.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Dune II game remains one of my all time favorites

Comment

That game was awesome!!!!

I watched Dune in the version where Sting plays the Harkonnen youngster. That movie was so bad, I decided to read the book (can't be worse, may well be better). And it was, great book. Don't think I'll try this cinematic experiment.
        Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
        [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

If you want to relive the game: http://www.opendune.org/
          (you need the datafiles though)
          Last edited by VJ; 24 October 2021, 22:25.
          pixar
          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

I tried opendune which crashed my Linux machine. But Xmas holiday or two ago I did all the Harkonnen and Atreides on DosBox.

Comment

Working...
            X