car buying these days...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would get one.
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

I had to change ignition coils on Polo. Especially during heavy rain or snow and backroad when I'd go over large puddle the car would then pull intermittently to the point I had to once limp in back safe mode.

Comment

Mine just suddenly failed... First one warranted a call to VW assistance, the second one failed just as we were leaving the VW service after replacing the first one and the third one about three years later - luckily we were right near that VW dealer - and that was now about a year ago. There is no telling when the fourth one will go. We did not get a spare one when going to my parents this summer, but breaking down in winter is a tad worse if you have to wait a few hours for a tow truck.

One issue in my plans of going soon to my parents is the further tightening of the restrictions in Germany and Belgium... I may have to wait till they ease a bit.
        pixar
        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Replace coil, AFAIK it was like 200 EUR for all coils and all sparkplugs on the Polo. Then go.

Based on last year - the Covid incidence curves are nearly identical in most of Europe (spikes going up that will subside before Christmas), they will go down and governments might ease off before Christmas.
          Alternate route is Slovakia -> Orbanland > Slovenia > Italy > France. You might also cross with ferries across Baltics. Or you can go Ukraine, Romania, Serbia, Croatia, Slovenia, Italy.
          Hungary seems fine, Slovakia doesn't have many restrictions, here and in Italy everything is fine if you have green pass and in Slovenia you can get tested everywhere for 7 EUR or free.

Once in Belgium you can just chill at your parents where you have permanent/part time residence.
          Last edited by UtwigMU; 21 November 2021, 12:20.

Comment

The main issue could be in Belgium. And those are huge detours... Still, we'll see how it evolves. More and more events are cancelled in Belgium and restrictions are tightened. For sure we will wait till after our third vaccination, which we both should receive in the first half of December. Benefit of going by car is that we do not have to plan if: if the regulations allow for it, we can decide to go the next day.

On the car buying front, we made a testdrive with a VW Golf, and were both very disappointed. I wanted to try a Golf, even though it is in a bit different category. Particularly the poor visibility (you don't get a good feeling about where the car is when you are manoeuvring it) was a downside for both of us. My wife also was rather critical about the engine noise and I really did not like the seat; even though it was VW's top Ergo-active seat, I just could not get comfortable (and getting out was also not that easy: too high side supports - both of us had issue with that). The suspension also felt quite poor, particularly on an uneven road (but nothing close to off-road, just a bit uneven asphalt), where it did not even feel more comfortable or able than our Polo on that same road. Cobblestones must be a disaster. Many reviews comment on bugs in the electronics and the test vehicle was no different: front and side parking sensor were malfunctioning (the salesperson said it just would need an update, but in many user reviews it seems that people wait long for updates that fix malfunctions). Even those electronics aside, it just has too many practical downsides for us, so that one is scratched of our list. I honestly expected it to be better.

Next up probably Mazda...
            Last edited by VJ; 22 November 2021, 04:19.
            pixar

Comment

Slav your car to better fit with the crowd there.

Comment

We went to Toyota... Yaris Cross looks quite big but not exactly what we are looking for (it is more a big city car, but less for highway driving). Corolla was quite low, and a very weird trunk (the rear bumper is very big, so you have to lift things quite a long distance into the car to put it in there), the RAV4 is not Euro 4d, and then there is the C-HR, which we drove.

We both do not like the outside looks of the C-HR, but if the rest is fine we might be able to get over it. But it felt cramped: the center screen gives the impression that it is blocking your view (even though it is not - it is just too much "in your face"), the dashboard generally looks weird. They tried to put all the controls quite high, squashing them together and putting a standing tablet on top. The gear lever is almost below the center console (or it feels like that) - not a big deal at it is an automatic, but trying to describe it a bit. Worse to me, something felt off with the steering wheel: either it was not centered in front of the driver, or it was not parallel (distance driver-left side of the wheel, and driver-right side of the wheel). Seats in the tested car were ok, but not more than that... and those were the higher trim version's. The back of the car is very claustrophobic: the sloping roof and small windows completely put you in the dark. The blindspot is big and a bit disorienting: you see a lot in the outside mirror, but somehow it is difficult to match what (little) you see in the inside mirror with what happens in the outside mirror. There is quite a gap and I guess some distortion. The blindspot detection is quite annoying: it is a nice looking icon in the mirror that lights up, but when looking in the mirror, it is so central and detailed that your eyes focus on the short distance to that icon rather than on the distance. Almost like they consider that: if the light is on, you don't need to see what is there as you won't be able to change lanes. But I would like to see it to plan ahead. It may be something to get used to, but e.g. on the Subaru it was a small light on the edge of the mirror, not obscuring or drawing attention away from the reflected image.

The more basic version of the seats - which they had in the showroom - were quite uncomfortable. Generally, all those cars were very dark inside... and weirdly proportioned. I bumped my head getting into the back of the Corolla, my wife bumped hers getting into the C-HR... So while we would put it above the VW, we are both not too convinced. The navigation system (we don't want to use Android Auto or Apple Carplay) is an online system with an included four-year subscription. Not clear what happens after four years. The offline navigation is a more expensive option.

We could not find a parking-spot near the Mazda/Nissan dealer, but may try tomorrow at a different Mazda dealer. Depending on the weather: 20cm snow is forecasted.
                Last edited by VJ; 26 November 2021, 13:15.
                pixar

Comment

Thanx for the info on the info. My wife wants to trade in her 2 year old Mazda 2 LTD for a Toyota Yaris ZR hybrid. There is a about a 12 month wait for the ZR here at present but they do have a Ruby Red color coming that is a canceled order. Went to have a look at one today but it was out so will have another look on Monday. She wants to go back to Toyota again because there is no Mazda dealer here where we live and its a 45 minute trip to the nearest Mazda dealer for servicing etc and there's only so much you can do in a smallish town to kill 4 hours while the car is serviced. I have a Mazda CX5 but I'll keep that as the current batch of RAV 4 you buy here have no hybrid or if you can get one it may take 12 months with all the vehicle shortages. The ideal RAV 4 I'd like is the RAV 4 Prime Plug in hybrid but that seems US only at present.

VJ . Good luck in your looking.
                  paulw

Comment

I liked the CH-R on the outside but once I saw that screen inside I know I would never get one. I don't want a TV in my car. Also not that life of LCD screens is 5-7 years and it will cost 500-1000 EUR to replace once it dies.

Also the CVT - one coworker had a Corolla. As a little kid you learn cars go wrooom, mhooowroom, mhowrooom...

CVT goes zzhhhzzzzrrrrrrrrrrrzzzzzrrrrzzzz. It's just wrong.

Mazda is a lot more sane by putting stuff related to driving and their center screen is smaller. Also they have robotic 6 speed gearbox instead of that CVT crap.
                    Last edited by UtwigMU; 27 November 2021, 18:43.

Comment

Originally posted by paulw View Post
                      Thanx for the info on the info.
                      Just bear in mind that these are just our opinions. We have a bit weird requirements: good in city, silent on highway, comfortable; mainly for two people. I don't care about "sportiveness" or big luggage space. Would be interesting if it could move 4 people in comfort and move stuff.

Originally posted by UtwigMU View Post
                      I liked the CH-R on the outside but once I saw that screen inside I know I would never get one. I don't want a TV in my car. Also not that life of LCD screens is 5-7 years and it will cost 500-1000 EUR to replace once it dies.
                      Also the CVT - one coworker had a Corolla. As a little kid you learn cars go wrooom, mhooowroom, mhowrooom...
                      CVT goes zzhhhzzzzrrrrrrrrrrrzzzzzrrrrzzzz. It's just wrong.

Mazda is a lot more sane by putting stuff related to driving and their center screen is smaller. Also they have robotic 6 speed gearbox instead of that CVT crap.
                      I'm not too conviced on the issues with the lcd (my 8" Kenwood navigation has 12 years, car always parked outside, and is going strong), but I get your point. Still, no escaping lcd's in cars now.

We drove the Mazda CX-30. Ok, it was great. A bit of a cramped feeling inside (lower edge of the windows is quite high) but not disturbing (perhaps a bit more in the back). But the finishing, looks, comfort, ... superb. My wife loved the headup display, my brain just filtered it out , perhaps I need more time to get used to it.
                      Compared to the Subaru: in general a bit less space on the back and more difficult entry, slightly more enclosed/cramped feeling, a bit worse visibility (mainly to the back, but not as problematic as the C-HR) but it is still a candidate. It is cheaper than the Subaru - even in four wheel drive - and drives well. Should also be cheaper in maintenance (we asked costs). Fuel usage on paper is less, but some comparison reviews claim the CX-30 uses more than on paper while the XV uses less, putting them rather close.
                      According to reviews, the CX-30 has slightly higher highway noise (we did not get to test at highway speeds) and actually a worse gearbox (the CVT in Subaru's are apparently the best CVTs out there, while the Mazda has a rather primitive automatic gearbox). The CX-30 four wheel drive is not intended for off-roading (according to the Mazda user manual) but to provide stability and improved handling on normal roads. But it is not a permanent four wheel drive so a bit more limited (not sure if we would go for four wheel drive, but just listing the differences).
                      I did not have that zzhhhzzzzrrrrrrrrrrrzzzzzrrrrzzzz feeling you describe with the Subaru, the CH-R had it somewhat. But I don't care about noise: I want it to be quiet, so if the noise is not obtrusive, I don't care how it sounds like. The CH-R also had quite an annoying buzzing sound which lasted for 5-10 seconds, every half a minute or minute.
                      The smaller screen on the Mazda is compensated by a central driver screen: the speedometer is digital (its outline is fixed, but it can display other info) and the optional HUD. So there is more display real-estate than first meets the eye.

We also drove a Kia XCeed. It is a lower category of car (at a much lower price), but we had the opportunity. It is not a bad car. Not really what we are looking for, but I honestly can say that it drove ok, not too loud, quite good visibility. It had quite a weird engine noise, a low frequency woooo even at low speeds.

We also went to the DS Automobiles showroom: I wanted to see the DS4 upclose. On photos it looks nice and stylish, but in reality it looked kitchy and lacking style.
                      Last edited by VJ; 28 November 2021, 14:37.
                      pixar

Comment

Noting wrong with the Mazda CX type of auto trans. Some of the best around. We have late model CX5 and Mazda 2. The only CVT that I have owned are Toyotas and they seem fine but where I live CVT has rather a bad name for unreliability .
                        paulw

Comment

One of my classmates became a startup multi-millionaire. He owns two Mazdas, MX-5 (Miata/Roadster) for when he comes here and CX-5 in his current country of residence. He doesn't own other cars. He has enough money to buy any car.

Comment

The automatic gearbox of the CX-30 felt fine, but reviewers seem to comment it is a bit old-fashioned compared to many other manufacturers (DCT, DSG, 7-8 gear, ...). Doesn't mean it is bad though.
                            It is weird: the CX-30 is very nice and everything seems to say it is the smarter buy over the Subaru (cheaper in maintenance, more features, denser dealer network, ...) but I'm somehow still drawn to the Subaru: its large glass sections, thin pillars and amazing around visibility is so refreshing compared to many current cars that almost enclose you in a bunker (I'm exaggerating of course). While the Subaru's interior looks less streamlined, it gives a bigger feeling of space (and has more space for back seat passengers). The front seats in both are very good.

Many reviews really have a problems choosing the "better" of the two as they are quite different despite being similar in size, and it comes down to what you want.

We don't need the off-road (and if we want the better handling of a 4WD, the Mazda's system would suffice for us). More space on the back would be nice though, but the features on the Mazda are also tempting: it feels generally more modern than the Subaru, even though there is not that much difference when you look at the functionality; it is more how everything is packaged and presented... (Features that the Mazda would have that are not on the Subaru are basically 360° camera, head up display, heated steering wheel, electric trunk opening and traffic-jam driving assistance; the Subaru has the better 4WD and suspension but has less need for the 360 camera, its use of 3 displays seems equivalent in functionality to the hud - just less futuristic, ...). So it are rather minor things that would be missing.

Most of the time it is just the two of us in the car, so either is fine space wise for most of the time, but we are expecting to take my wife's parents on occasion... Hence the consideration of rear space (plenty of inlaws-jokes here, next you guys will suggest the MX-5 just for that reason ).

We'll for sure check the Mazda again next weekend (we'll be close to the dealer anyway).
                            Last edited by VJ; 29 November 2021, 07:23.
                            pixar

Comment

Second test drive with the CX-30 and second test drive with the XV... (at highway speeds)

The visibility around the car in the CX-30 is not so good:, both the high, long nose and the small rear window are limiting. The rear view mirrors are positioned quite far back (to avoid a bigger blindspot behind the A-pillar), but neither my wife nor me are driving in a reclined position (we prefer the seat rather straight), which positions those mirrors almost next to you (a bit exaggerated, but too far back for comfort). Quite tiresome to look in the mirrors e.g. on the highway (and the blind spot monitor is a small indicator at the far end of the mirror - it is also a very delicate indication on the head-up display). Maybe something to get used to... may be one of those small annoyances that you keep carrying on forever. Not sure. The space in the back is also limited (while sitting, my shin was touching the - soft - bottom edge of the seat in front, and it was not even that far back).

The XV has much more space in the back, I could even see the tip of my shoes. The mirrors are positioned less back than on the CX-30 and the car seems to better fit with a straight driving position. Visibility around is amazing: the car is quite a bit bigger than our Polo, but you immediately feel comfortable with the dimensions and have no problem estimating where the car is and parking it, even on a first try. This confidence in manoeuvring is nice... The image on the reverse camera includes the bumper, so you can really estimate it well, and the sensors are only triggering when it gets really close (not full red when there is 50cm, like on my parents' Opel). The CX-30 was not as bad as the Opel, but more conservative than the XV. The XV is more expensive, but we are seriously considering going for it. It seems to have less of those potential annoyances. It has a bit less electronics features, but as we don't have them now, the lack of those would not be something we would be missing. Waiting now for the salesperson to check if the one model that is immediately available is really available (there is a reservation on it in the system; it is the only such one in Poland)... Similarly, we are in the reservation queue for a CX-30 (it costs nothing the add yourself to the queue). Our hope is that the XV will be available, if not we would have to wait till April... Not clear what we would do if the XV is not there and the CX-30 would be immediately available though... I think I would try to get a higher discount from a higher trim version; several of those are available...

A bit surprised that neither has a nice prepared place to store the fire-extinguisher and the first-aid-kit... They are mandatory, but the have them lying around loose in the car is quite stupid. In my parents' Volvo, it was mounted below the passenger seat (in a bracket screwed to the seat-rails), but the Mazda salesperson recommends not do this: they had a client who mounted it there, but due to a crash the fire-extingisher disconnected and crushed the ankles of the passenger (otherwise the crash would not have been such an issue). In the XV it might fit next to the tire repair kit, but that is not certain.

edit: Interesting article on electric driving. It is in Dutch, but it is something we were expecting to happen in the future, and it is already happening. Electric driving is more expensive than petrol IF you do not have solar panels from which you can charge at home.

It is mainly due to the fact that the electricity price rose more than the fuel price. It still depends a bit on the car, as the differences are close. I also checked it on A Better Routerplanner ( https://abetterrouteplanner.com ) and e.g. the cost of charging an electric car on the trajectory from Poland to Belgium is higher than the fuelcost would be... In addition some electric cars have 30% less range than indicated by the manufacturer (modern petrol-car specifications are said to be closer to reality).
                              Last edited by VJ; 6 December 2021, 07:09.
                              pixar

Comment

Wait for electricity prices until Germans shutdown all their nuclear plants.

Comment

Working...
                                X