Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SpaceX Starship: Orbital Test Flight (launch: April 17, webcast link)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Super Heavy booster rollout to the orbital launch pad. Fully loaded with 33 Raptor 2 engines, this thing is effing gigantic.

Pressure and static fire engine tests soon. Starship #24 will also be preparing for the first launch.

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 24 June 2022, 06:29.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Starship S24 static fire test

6 engines (3 sea level, 3 vacuum) - standard pack. Lost 30 tiles; test, learn, repeat.

This should be the vehicle for the first orbital test flight. Booster tests upcoming.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

After many bureaucratic delays the launch campaign for Starship has begun. The NASA team should be present for each of the upcoming major events; the wet dress rehearsal, a test firing of all 33 Booster 7 engines, a test firing of Mission 2's Ship 25, and the full orbital launch attempt.

Meanwhile, construction is well along at the Kennedy Space Center LC-39A Starship pad. NASA Artemis program lunar launches will fly from there and LC-39B

+++++++

As soon as Monday, #SpaceX may begin the long-awaited orbital launch testing campaign kicking off with a wet dress rehearsal (WDR). This will include filling #SuperHeavy #B7 and #Starahip S24 completely full of propellant for the first time and simulating the launch countdown.

20230121_232230.jpg
        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 21 January 2023, 21:54.
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Doc, thank God you're back, I thought I will have to take up the mantle of MURC space editor.

I was going to post this video if you wouldn't have come back:

Making the rocket land perfectly is really really hard to achieve, so this makes this even cooler.

Comment

What Utwig said.
            Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
            [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

I was dog sick for a bit with a flu which wasn't in the vaccine this year. I'll spare you the gory details <barf>

Today SpaceX completed a successful wet dress rehearsal: Starshi 24 and its Super Heavy Booster 7 were filled with almost 10 million lbs/4,535 tonnes of propellants and a practice countdown executed by Starship's flight computers.

If they follow past practice next comes a spin-prime test, essentially they start up the booster engine turbo pumps. After that comes a static fire test followed by launch. With a little luck, by the end of February or March

The team from NASA's Artemis Human Lander System program is usually present for major tests like this, and for the launch they are likely to use NASA's WB-57 reconnaissance aircraft to film the in flight events.

There is another Super Heavy and Starship pair being prepared for a quick follow up flight; Booster 9 and Ship 25.
              Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 23 January 2023, 23:12.
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

FAA should be issuing the launch license for the Starship test flight in about 2 weeks. They should be launching sometime in April.
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

A Notice To Airmen (NOTAM) has been issued for the airspace around Starbase and the adjacent Mexican airspace.

Dates: April 10-12
                  Windows: 0800 - 1200 Eastern

These could slip, anything can happen, but the FAA launch license is expected to be granted this week.

This tweet has some video of the vehicle and launch tower, stacked & ready to go... pending some final tests and the arming of the flight safety system.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

"Starship fully stacked at Starbase. Team is working towards a launch rehearsal next week followed by Starship’s first integrated flight test ~week later"
                    Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Starship OFT

No launch permit yet but FAA working docs show,

Date: NET April 17
                      Backups: April 18 - 21
                      Window (all dates): 0800 - 1105 Eastern

And...Starship will grow ~10m longer and have 6 Raptor Vacuum engines instead of 3, 9 engines total. A beast.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

"Starship is ready for launch
                        Awaiting regulatory approval"

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Starship OFT Monday, April 17, 2022

Other opportunities April 18-22

Webcast starts 45 min before launch

Window opens 0800 Eastern

Eric Berger (Ars Technica)
                          SpaceX continues to work toward a Starship launch attempt on April 17, pending an FAA license. (Could come as early as Thursday or Friday). Assuming it does, lots of other factors in play. But launch site weather looks good Monday—70s, sunny, modest winds gusting to 20 mph.
                          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

FAA TFRs* were issued for Monday, April 17 and Tuesday, April 18.

Window: 0800 - 1105 Eastern

* Temporary Flight Restriction, keeping air traffic out of the launch zone & track.
                            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Starship's FAA launch license granted

and,

SpaceX may lease NASAs VAB High Bay 1 for Starship processing.
                              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Starship Orbital Flight Test (OFT)

Date: Monday, April 17
                                Backup dates: April 18 - 22
                                Window:*0800 - 1105 Eastern*(1200 - 1505 UT)
                                Pad: Starbase Pad 1
                                Vehicles: Booster 7, Starship 24
                                Recovery: water landings
                                Mission: the first 3 Starship flights will be basic flight tests, vehicles expended & hoping they don't wreck the pad. After clearing the pad, measuring actual physical & thermal loads, discovering problems which can't be found on the ground.*

Webcast begins ~45 min before liftoff
                                Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                                X