Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• everyone on edge...?

Hello,

Covid is getting much more omnipresent here, with many people in our surroundings and in our acquaintances' surroundings infected...
    Poland is at the moment experiencing a third wave (actually a second wave, as March 2020 was nothing here, but they call it a "third wave" to match with other countries), new lockdowns have been triggered. The vaccination effort seems to be going well, but still it goes slow.

At the same time, it seems everyone is much more on edge, annoyed by the smallest thing, triggered by yet another stupid comment of someone that you normally would not care about, ... I see this around me, but at the same time feel it myself.

Did you guys notice similar edgy behaviour?
    Any suggestions of ways to switch off from the ever-mounting pressure?
    (I managed to fly on Monday, but that is just a few hours; a series or movie gives short relief but the edgy-ness creeps right back up)
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Not anymore. Fully vaccinated. I feel like a tremendous weight has been lifted from my shoulders. I feel more born-again than my born-again brother. I still mask up where businesses require it. But otherwise the higher the vaccination rate gets, the more I feel like I can go back to pretending existence is normal again.

I feel like I feel again.

Comment

Interesting that you write "not anymore"... At least it means the perspectives are positives. No idea yet when we'll get vaccinated here though...
      pixar

Comment

Everyone seems on edge here, although since it's spring, weather is a bit better and we are slowly coming out of 2nd wave outlook seems positive. We are where schools are reopened and outside tables might open. But we have curfew and most everything closed since October.

I saw people wandering and yelling stuff about satan, I saw people mumbling and then throw random rock at the window. News are full of family violence and murder cases. Example: someone with no crime history strangled his wife and walked into police station. Fortunately I'm too busy to care much and try to keep doing my own stuff. Right now I'm teaching a new IT course so I need to prepare and doing a website for some company on top of my regular job. Haven't been on proper vacation since August 2019 and only do walks instead of proper workouts, spend all my leaves on teaching webinars so it also shows on me. Haven't done any shooting since October.

Daily walks and being busy with my own projects prevents me from being angry at stupid people and I could write pages of rants on what goes on at work.
        Last edited by UtwigMU; 16 March 2021, 13:19.

Comment

No Covid in the wild here in New Zealand only in the isolation hotels where the foreign inbound travelers stay for 14 days.
          paulw

Comment

Michigan has 10m people, 7.3m adults, and 3 million have been vaccinated (mostly the Moderns & Pfizer mRNA vaccines) with about 800,000 doses to be administered and more coming. I tolerated it well, a sore arm and slight fever for 2 days. The state is a staged process of "opening up."

The mRNA tech essentially hijacks the cells ribosomes to create proteins on demand, so it can also be used to create treatments as well as vaccines. In the works now are vaccines for malaria, various cancers including melanoma, HIV, and treatments for diseases like cystic fibrosis.

If these work out someone's getting a Nobel Prize.
            Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 16 March 2021, 20:40.
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

On edge? Not really. Sure, more agitation then pre-Covid but not that much I'd say. Psychologically many seem to suffer but it does not translate in violence, abuse or anything it seems. About 8% of our population had at least one shot and we do health care workers, elderly and vulnerable first so it'll take a while before the genpop gets a turn. The aim is to have all above 18 to have received one shot at least by July 1st. We'll see.

It's not something I do but perhaps meditation?
              Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
              [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Maybe on edge is too strong a word, agitation maybe a bit better. Somehow I managed to avoid this feeling but it is creeping up on me.
                Nothing bad, but I'm aware of it (which is something) and it annoys me - I'm not the meditating type.

Here, we have just over 10% vaccinated (at least the first shot), with a similar strategy regarding priority groups and age. I don't know the timeline, but I do see that it is going.
                pixar

Comment

Personally, even though I didn't go out much, I am getting a bit sick and tired of this whole thing.

But it is a sort of wake-up call. What if we encounter a similar virus that is 10 times as lethal? Or, like e.g. polio, has real long term consequences? As pandemics go, this one may still be relatively mild...
                  Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                  [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Covid accelerated our pre-existing plans to buy a country house. Apartment prices in the city are entirely unreasonable, and it's literally cheaper for us to keep renting (French rental market is heavily regulated and yearly price increases can only be at official inflation rate, while real estate valuations have been going up a multiple of that every year for the past 10 years).

In the countryside there's plenty of room for a garden and neither noisy neighbours above us, nor the usual plethora of city noises at night. The woods are only a stone's throw away in the countryside.

Comment

Having a yard the size of a football field with a stand of trees in the back also helps the noisy neighbor problem.
                      Dr. Mordrid
                      ----------------------------
                      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Doc, that's really comforting. If worst comes to worst we can come to camp in your yard until we pull ourselves by bootstraps.

Comment

Working...
                        X