China: Long March 9 super-heavy launcher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• China: Long March 9 super-heavy launcher

An expendable super-heavy class launcher...

China pushes ahead with super-heavy-lift Long March 9

HELSINKI — China is pressing ahead with the Long March 9 super heavy launch vehicle for crewed lunar, robotic deep space exploration and space infrastructure.

The massive rocket is in the research and development stage with a test launch planned for around 2030, said Xu Hongliang, secretary-general of the China National Space Administration,*speaking*at the Wenchang International Aerospace Forum Nov. 24.

The event followed the*launch of the Chang’e-5*lunar sample return mission from the Wenchang spaceport that morning local time. The mission was launched by China’s current largest rocket, the 878-metric-ton, 57-meter-long Long March 5.*

In contrast the Long March 9 will be 93 meters long, feature a 10-meter-diameter core, have a mass at liftoff of 4,140 metric tons. It will have four five-meter-diameter side boosters comparable to a Long March 5 first stage. The Long March 9 is designed be capable of lifting 140 tons to LEO or 50 tons to trans lunar injection.

The Long March 9 has long been stated as part of*long term plans*to send Chinese astronauts to the moon and facilitate deep space exploration. However the launcher’s exact role is still not clearly defined as China mulls pathways to*robotic and human exploration*of the moon.
    >
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

This version of the Long March Rocket is designed for maximum throw weights and heights. The Multiple Booster System makes it possible to place multiple Primary Schools, Colleges and (NEW FEATURE!) Universities within the Worker's Paradise within Booster Debris Field and maximized exposure to Dinitrogen Tetroxide and Hydrazine (aka Full Body Exfoliators)...
    Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

I don't think LM9 uses hypergolics, switched to LH2 and RP-1 both with LOX, but with a Saturn 5 size 10 meter core dropping on a village it probably doesn't matter.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
      X