Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The FAA has issued flight restrictions

Altitude: from "surface up to unlimited"

Duration: December 4 at 0900 Eastern (1400 UT) to December 6 at 1800 Eastern (2300 UT)

Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

SN-08

Michael Baylor @nextspaceflight
      SpaceX is now targeting Monday for Starship SN8’s test flight from Boca Chica, Texas.

The temporary flight restriction for Friday's attempt has been pulled. A new TFR will have to be published for Monday, which is the next possibility per road closures.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

SN-08

@nextspaceflight
        The FAA website is now showing Temporary Flight Restrictions on Dec. 6, 7, and 8 for Starship SN8's 12.5-kilometer test flight.

No road closures for Sunday yet, but it looks like SpaceX may be trying to pursue that possibility. https://t.co/SRdwv1ADNR

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

SN-08

From the latest FAA NOTAM, they're now going for Sunday.

Date: December 6 (Sunday)
          Window: 1300 - 1900 Eastern

Backup date 1: December 7 (Monday)
          Window: 0900 - 1830 Eastern

Backup date 2: December 8 (Tuesday)
          Window: 0900 - 1800 Eastern
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Weather in the way, again. Sounds like the next attempt is Tuesday.

OTOH, Musk's jet has landed in Brownsville.

I'm suspecting NASA will monitor the mission with one of their WB-57's. There are three stationed at Ellington Field near Houston, and one was used to monitor early Falcon 9 landing tests.
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Dec 6, 2020
              Update: New TFR added for Wednesday. SpaceX now has TFRs for attempts on Tuesday and Wednesday.
              ||
              And add Thursday to that list.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

SN-08

Launch: Tuesday or Wednesday (weather permitting)
                Time: 1000 - 1700 Eastern

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Hello SN-17 and B-1 (Super Heavy #1)

This is getting in-sane o_0

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Starship SN-09 is inaugurating Test Stand B

20201222_194406.jpg

20201222_194608.jpg

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

SpaceX test recap with a few new camera angles

"Next up: SN9"

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Overlook Horizon @OLHZN
                        Dec 23, 2020
                        Replying to @elonmusk
                        It was absolutely amazing! Any major changes needed to keep up the header tank pressure in SN9?
                        |
                        Elon Musk ✓ @elonmusk
                        Minor

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Oh, my...

coming up: two on their pads at once

RGVAerialPhotography @RGVaerialphotos
                          Jan 2, 2021
                          With SN10 nearly complete and repairs being done at the landing pad, do you think this is something we will get to see in the next few weeks?
                          #spacex #starship #Bocachica
                          (2100ft msl, 01/01/2020)

20210102_200803.jpg
                          |
                          Elon Musk ✓ @elonmusk
                          Yes

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Buckle your seat belts,

Starship sea launch platforms 'Phobos' & 'Deimos'

Elon Musk hinted about sea launch platforms for Starship last June,

Elon Musk ✓ @elonmusk
                            SpaceX is building floating, superheavy-class spaceports for Mars, moon & hypersonic travel around Earth

NSF's Michael Baylor (nextspaceflight) discovered twin sea platforms have been bought by "Lone Star Mineral Development LLC," which is either a SpaceX subsidiary or a leasing company. Price: $3.5 million each,

Nailing it down; Lone Star was incorporated just before the sale, and the officer for Lone Star Mineral Development LLC is listed as Bret Johnsen - SpaceX's CFO

In their previous life they were Enesco 8500 and Ensco 8501, identical ultra-deepwater semi-submersibles. Deimos is in Brownsville, Phobos in Galveston.

Ensco 8500
                            ENSCO_8500.jpg

Twitter thread,

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

When are we (Earth) sending 3 or more dudes (or women) to place other than space station, IE equalizing or exceeding Apollo program achievement from 50+ years ago?

Comment

Originally posted by UtwigMU View Post
                                When are we (Earth) sending 3 or more dudes (or women) to place other than space station, IE equalizing or exceeding Apollo program achievement from 50+ years ago?
                                Returning to the Moon has several reasons; economic, scientific, geopolitical, and military.

Economic: a Gateway station in lunar orbit can be a gateway to everywhere else in the solar system. The recently discovered water ice on the lunar surface and other resources can be used to produce fuel etc. for those trips, and some outfits want to do other businesses there - including tourism. ESA is hot on a "lunar village" outpost.

It's also a near-space locale with a significant gravity well, which helps if those people want to stay a while. Microgravity impairs the functioning of the cell's mitochondria causing grief. There are mitigations in the lab, but even 1/6 G helps.

Science: Apollo only landed at a few mid-latitudes and probes have found some very interesting things that need close up examination with M1 eyeballs. There's also the possibility of lunar pole and far side observatories.

Geopolitical: like ISS, cooperation for the lunar Gateway spreads costs and leverages skills worldwide. The US has big, cheap to fly rockets and a growing fleet of spacecraft types. Italy & France make good habitat modules, other parts of Europe and Japan make good instruments. Russia can offer their upcoming Oryel spacecraft (replaces Soyuz) and Angara 5 launcher, etc.

Military: China has made it abundantly clear their military space program sees the Moon as strategic platform, and hints they want cis-lunar space and much of the far side for themselves.

For its part, Russia has been testing space based antisatellite weapons in Geostationary orbit, where most big commsats live, presenting a threat to allied military and commercial satellites.

Russia's actions and China's recent and numerous lunar colonialism statements are a major reason the US pulled the trigger on creating the US Space Force after 40+ years of discussing it. They'll be called "Guardians."

Do not be surprised if the US & allies field numerous space platforms/mini-stations in cis-lunar space, and adds high-speed nuclear powered "Space Guard" spacecraft to go with them. Project DRACO

And no, a change in administration won't change this. Biden's incoming defense people also see the risk of Chinese space colonialism.

Biden’s Defense nominee embraces view of space as a domain of war

WASHINGTON — President-elect Joe Biden’s pick for defense secretary Lloyd Austin told lawmakers Jan. 19 that China is the United States’ “most concerning competitor” and in written testimony identified space as a growing national security concern.

“If confirmed, I will ensure the space domain is carefully considered across the range of upcoming strategic reviews,” Austin said in a statement submitted to the Senate Armed Services Committee.
                                >
                                >
                                “Chinese and Russian space activities present serious and growing threats to U.S. national security interests,” Austin stated. “While Russia is a key adversary, China is the pacing threat.”
                                Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 20 January 2021, 01:13.
                                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                                X