What are you currently reading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are you currently reading

I've ordered some used books from USA in June and they finally arrived by October.

Currently reading O'Reilly Time Management for System Administrators.

Useful and good principles. Although with GTD and other stuff I know about this topic I noticed I'm already implementing some of the principles.

LOL. So I am a Jack Reacher fan (not the movies). Lee Child is going to let his younger brother write them. Andrew Grant. So I'm like, OK, I'll check him out. Reading the David Trevellyan books.
    Allthough I don't mind reading them, the most remarkable thing about them is that, even though they are supposed to be thrillers, they are really great to fall asleep. Also, whenever I start again, I have no clue what has happened and find that it does not matter. It's really amazing. I fear for Jack Reacher though...

Other than that, started but put on hold for a while, Wealth of Nations (Smith) and Open Society and its Enemies (Popper). Great bedtime reading as well.
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

So what is Popper like?

Comment

Actually, I am at 60% of the book and sofar it was a very interesting read. I also intend to read his The Poverty of Historicism, even though I think the gist of that book will turn out to already have been presented in The Open Society mostly.

Edit (6 hrs later): Popper has some very nice or fun ideas. As an example on Marx's TRPF (Tendency of Rate Of Profit to Fall). Of course, for TRPF to be a useful idea, his Labor Theory of Value needs to apply (and that is rather questionable) and you need a rather perfect market (also very questionable). But assume that that is all true, correct and applies, Marx predicts that the capitalist systems sorta explodes because of TRPF.

Popper then asks, well, even if rates of profit fall, nowhere does Marx show that the rate of profit would ever become negative. Just small. Why would a system that requires positive returns fail if returns will never be negative?

Just one of the critiques of Marxist theory. The real one, that history is not deterministic, is what it is really about.
        Last edited by Umfriend; 7 October 2020, 06:45.
        Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
        [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Read The Dip by Seth Goodin - 1h short read. Very good book to read in these times when you question what to quit and what to continue.

Comment

Working...
          X