Crow intelligence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crow intelligence

New research finds that crows can ponder the content of their own minds, a manifestation of higher intelligence long believed the sole province of humans and a few other higher mammals.

Brainiacs, not birdbrains: Crows possess higher intelligence long thought a primarily human attribute

Whether crows, ravens, and other “corvids” are making multipart tools like hooked sticks to reach grubs, solving geometry puzzles made famous by Aesop, or nudging a clueless hedgehog across a highway before it becomes roadkill, they have long impressed scientists with their intelligence and creativity.

Now the birds can add one more feather to their brainiac claims: Research unveiled on Thursday in Science finds that crows know what they know and can ponder the content of their own minds, a manifestation of higher intelligence and analytical thought long believed the sole province of humans and a few other higher mammals.
    >
    “Together, the two papers show that intelligence/consciousness are grounded in connectivity and activity patterns of neurons” in the most neuron-dense part of the bird brain, called the pallium, neurobiologist Suzana Herculano-Houzel of Vanderbilt University, who wrote an analysis of the studies for Science, told STAT. “Brains can appear diverse, and at the same time share profound similarities. The extent to which similar properties present themselves might be simply a matter of scale: how many neurons are available to work.”
    >
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 3 October 2020, 02:30.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Read translation of this in the local news, very interesting.

Comment

Yeah, it puts the Heckle and Jeckle cartoons in a different light.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

And at a young age: fourmonthold ravens may be as smart as adult apes!
        pixar
        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Working...
        X