No announcement yet.

experience with Docker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is a music server, https://music-server.net , that uses LMS (Logitech Media Server, for Squeezebox) and specifically offers additional functionality and integration with the native media control blocks generated by the user interface of my home automation system. The problem is that this musicserver it is Linux only and installs through an install-script on Debian. Currently, I run LMS runs on the media computer in the livingroom, which goes to sleep when it is not used and wakes up when a Squeezebox switches on.

I don't want to have another device running, so I thought of running it on Docker on that Windows machine. However, the install script for the media server seems to have quite some issues with the dockerized environment, and I thought a full VM would not be able to wake-up / prevent the host to sleep. Now that I found the port-forwarding option on the Hyper-V switch, I could go for a fully virtualized music server: for the clients, it would still seems as if the Windows computer is the server, so the wake on lan would work.
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Why do you need Windows on media PC?

Comment

It is used for video playback and gaming. Particularly the latter offers more options on Windows.
        It also doubles as music/media server, as I do not see a point in getting another device: an always on raspberry would not consume much less than this computer if it properly goes to sleep and wakes up when needed. My main issue is switching from the standard LMS installation on Windows to the MusicServer I posted, as I would like the additional functionality.

I don't know enought about Docker nor the MusicServer's details to get it to work on Docker, but I may get it to work on a virtual Debian using the portforwarding through the virtual switch as I posted earlier.
        pixar

Comment

Then definitely go Hyper-V or perhaps VMware workstation as for Docker the way people do it is they usually run nginx reverse proxy docker then run all docker images behind that. Wake on LAN would be harder to do that way.

Gaming + Hyper-V is not optimal but for casual gaming it's OK.

Comment

Hyper-V doesn't affect the gaming for me: there is nothing critical on the VMs, so if necessary they can even be paused during gaming. And I don't play very recent games either.

At one point I was thinking of running a RancherOS in the HyperV for Docker, but the number of containers I would use is decreasing due to various limitations, so I may just go to running different VMs rather than a VM with containers.

Initially, I thought it would be nice to dockerize everything (I had plans for containers for TV Server, Media server, LMS, mp3fs, ...), basically anything that offers me a service, as it would easily allow me to change/remove/temporarily disable with minimal effect on the host OS. But as I go along more, it is less and less obvious: the TV server cannot access the tuners (and no way to forward the devices on Windows), the media server has problems with upnp broacast (and host-networking, which would solve it, does not work on Windows) and the music server I want to replace LMS with does not.
            So I already resigned from the TV server (runs on the host), the media server (may try a VM still, or try the RancherOS in a VM as docker host, network can then be set as needed)) and now the music server. It is a bit a disillusion...
            Last edited by VJ; 22 September 2020, 05:31.
            pixar

Comment

Hitler uses Docker

Comment

That was really funny.
                Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Working...
                X