Thread: In 2020 you still need optical media

Default In 2020 you still need optical media

I'm decommissioning my old 2003 server which started out as Sempron in 2006 and was upgraded with C2D from some HP desktop around 2012.

I decided to build a desktop in smaller case because I need desktops with optical drives to read my old CD-Rs and DVD-Rs and put any useful stuff on NAS. I went through around 50 DVDs and all of the 10-15y old backups which were used rarely could be read.

Since HP BIOS doesn't offer boot from USB I need to find blank CD or DVD (the ones I have are too scratched) in order to burn Linux installer. I'm about to make a tour of local gas stations since it's late.

PXE, for the Children.
    Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

My old laptop also did not support booting from USB apart from some very specific devices (e.g. some usb dvd drives but not mine). However, for some reason a USB Compact Flash reader was perfectly bootable.

Another option could be to set up a PXE network boot. I've managed that before I learned that the USB Compact Flash reader worked. There are some free servers and it suffices to put one on the network (can even be a virtual machine) so you can boot from it. I don't remember which pxe server I used, but it was a long time ago.
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

I think I used Serva: https://www.vercot.com/~serva/download.html , which at the time had a trial version that was time limited (but I needed it once), but now its limitations are even less restrictive for personal use, but it looks like FOG project could be interesting: https://fogproject.org/
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Found it was wrong USB port or key wasn't detected. Happily installed Debian and going through my 100 CD cakes. 80-90% are read error free, these are 10-15y old CDs and DVDs. Mostly Verbatim.

Does anyone need Matrox Parhelia install CD

Super MURCer

Yes still use CDR and DVD disks. Still makes disks for my wife's church.
    paulw

Thread Information