Which stonks are you buying if any?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UtwigMU View Post
    With markets down, NVDA is very cheap today. I know we're pro Matrox here but they are not publicly traded.

While Arm deal seems dead in the water, the 3000 series did great. Also there is mining asic announced and because of mining boom there are/were no GPUs between 100 and 800 EUR in stock anywhere. This is why I'm bullish on nVidia.

When gold goes up people buy mining stocks, when BTC and ETH go up, you should buy nVidia.
    as my job is in tech, I'd rather look for investments in different areas.
    Today I pulled the trigger on GE, but looking at the current P/E and price history I should have entered at least 3-4 months ago. However, I believe they have a good future due to their exposure in the energy sector (gas turbines and renewables).

Comment

Originally posted by dZeus View Post
      as my job is in tech, I'd rather look for investments in different areas.
      Now that, IMHO, is a very wise consideration.
      Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
      [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

I invest in what I know. So I'm tech heavy.

Comment

And there is a lot to say for that. However, consider this: You are in tech, that is where you make your money. If tech goes well, chances are you'll do well. Your know-how, expertise, experience, education etc. represent real value. The quantum of that value may well correlate with the general fortunes of the tech sector. So investing in that exposes you to tech-sector-risk twice, sorta.

Now I don't mind if people use a part of their savings to play around a bit, pick certain stock for whatever reason (or, god forbid, crypto). But diversification is really powerful in helping getting a good risk/return profile. That is why I would advise anyone (who still needs to work to get food on the table) to consider diversifying and take into account where their regular income comes from.
          Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
          [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Most of my money comes from food & beverage where I work. I do a tech job in non-tech sector (for how long remains to be seen). Also 50% of my portfolio is not tech, it's pharma and insurance.

Comment

Tech is related to all industries but most investments go in tech part.

I did dollar cost averaging calculations from 2000 until now

AAPL = 2.44M (because they did well throughout the period)
              NVDA = 1.06M
              AMD = 300k
              MSFT = 226k (because they did well only recently)
              MA = 196k
              QQQ = 158k
              MCD = 152k
              SPY = 84k
              V = 91k
              INTC = 80k
              BRK-B = 77k
              PEP = 68k
              KO = 58k
              HP = 35k but they were at 85k in 2014

3% interest = 35k
              0% interest = 25k

As you can see Berkshire doesn't outperform Visa or McDonalds or S&P. Reason is Buffet stayed away from tech. Doing something like dollar cost averaging in EQQQ is diversified and gives results. Nasdaq of today has mostly serious b2b and b2c companies, while in 1999 it had hype.
              Last edited by UtwigMU; 27 February 2021, 03:18.

Comment

However, that analysis suffers from survivorship bias. But yeah, Buffet, I think, is more of a value rather than growth investor. Until 2018 (pre some sort of GAAP accounting rule change he did not like) he did typically outperform S&P 500 though.

Comment

Tesla Q4 results

This is with 1) the auto industry chip shortage still ongoing, and 2) only ~2,000 deliveries of Models S & Y due to a major upgrading of both.

S/X production has already re-started, and by year's end the German factory should be producing Models 3 and Y with the new 4680 battery packs. The Austin factory may start in Q4, and test production of the Cybertruck should begin in Fremont, CA before moving to Austin, TX.

Tesla Deliveries Smashed Expectations. The Stock Should Rise Monday.

Tesla delivered a great bit of news Friday. The electric vehicle pioneer posted a healthy quarterly increase in deliveries, a number more than double 2020’s first-quarter total.
                  >
                  Tesla delivered about 185,000 vehicles*in the first quarter, compared with 181,000 in the fourth-quarter of 2020 and about 88,000 vehicles in the first quarter of 2020. Year-over-year growth is more than 100%.
                  >
                  The result keeps Tesla on track to deliver the Wall Street consensus of roughly 800,000 vehicles in 2021, up about 60% year over year. ...
                  >
                  Dr. Mordrid
                  ----------------------------
                  An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I got 20 Euro cents in nett dividends from 2 nVidia stocks I'm holding.

I have created a meme portfolio in IBKR account: AMD, PLTR, NOK But so far I'm not doing well with my rapid growth strategy there. There is significant Russian buildup and Ukraine has declared they will "liberate" Crimea now that they have Biden backing. Should this happen, stonks will go down.

Comment

I have had a quick look at US-stocks but it's just to hard for me. I have rather irrational requirements. One being that a single stock is not more than around EUR 30 because I trade in 100s as I do options around them as well. Unfortunately, I can only trade liquid options in Amsterdam, the other European exchanges, I think, are rather illiquid. Need to check, maybe something about my broker.

Comment

Go for Palantir, it's around $24 now. It's hard to trade options in Europe. My brokerage does not have them. For ibkr you need to state you have 50k in liquid net worth.

Comment

I will have a look at PLTR. I am more into engineering, renewables but mostly by accident.

Hmmm, PLTR hasn't paid dividends yet which I do not really like. And I am not sure if my broker allows me to trade options. I think they should but I'd have to check.

Comment

My favorite stock SI:SALR went from 700 to 1060 EUR in a year. They doubled profit in 2020. They also increased dividend to 55 EUR. I have single digit holding. It's still trading at around 11 P/E.

nVidia is up 18%.
                            Last edited by UtwigMU; 16 April 2021, 08:09.

Comment

Nice. Wouldn't u prefer them to do like a 1:50 split?

Comment

No because splits affect quality of stock holders. One of my friends owns like 1% of the company and he's a Warren Buffet type value long term investor.
                                I buy stocks quarterly because it's optimal to buy at least 2.7k foreign or .7k local stocks the way minimum fees stand.
                                Last edited by UtwigMU; 16 April 2021, 12:35.

Comment

Working...
                                X