Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UtwigMU View Post
    One word: gamestonk

As WSB said: We can stay retarded longer than they can stay solvent.
    I think this is a general frustration & counter-strike against predatory short-sellers; those who don't just make the bet but try to manipulate the market to get their preferred result.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

So I'm autistic, doing my own thinking and my own research but my portfolio is overall down 0.5%. OK - first rule is to not loose money
      insurance company recovered to pre corona levels
      pharma up 30% + 5% dividend
      IBM down 10%
      MSFT up 6%

If I were just a follow the crowd sheep and bought AAPL and TSLA i'd do great. I need to rethink being independent thinker. Seems being a sheep is the more successful life strategy.

Comment

Seems that way sometimes, and I definitely didn't get on the Game Stop bandwagon, but I agree something should be done with the predatory activity of some short-sellers. AIUI Japan, France, Spain, Italy and Belgium have taken some measures.
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I'm reading reports of RobinHood users that are not allowed to exercise their GME call options... I'm not sure what's going on exactly behind the scenes, but it sounds like this is going to end very badly for RobinHood (and all its users) very soon.

Comment

Musk was on Clubhouse and asked Teney what happened,

“Spill the beans, man — what happened last week?” Musk asked Tenev during an early Monday morning broadcast on Clubhouse, an audio-streaming app.

Under questioning from billionaire Tesla boss Elon Musk, Tenev broke down how Robinhood restricted trading on several “meme stocks” while under pressure from the National Securities Clearing Corporation, a financial institution that clears and settles stock trades between brokers.

“Spill the beans, man — what happened last week?” Musk asked Tenev during an early Monday morning broadcast on Clubhouse, an audio-streaming app.

“The people demand an answer, and they want to know the details and the truth,” he added.

As Tenev explained, Robinhood has to deposit money with the clearinghouse — commonly known as the NSCC — based on several factors, such as the volatility of trading activity and “concentration intro certain securities.”

At 3:30 a.m. Pacific time on Thursday — the morning after Reddit’s WallStreetBets message board sparked a flurry of trading in GameStop and other “meme stocks” — Robinhood received a request from the NSCC for a roughly $3 billion deposit, a far larger number than normal, according to Tenev.

“Just to give context, Robinhood, up until that point, has raised … around $2 billion in total venture capital up until now,” Tenev said. “So it’s a big number.”

The NSCC eventually lowered the request to $700 million after Robinhood officials outlined a plan to “manage risk” in GameStop and other volatile stocks on Thursday, according to Tenev.

That was why Robinhood temporarily blocked traders from buying new GameStop shares, a move that sparked widespread outrage and several lawsuits. Robinhood has since allowed its customers to buy limited numbers of GameStop shares and options contracts.
            >
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
              Musk was on Clubhouse and asked Teney what happened,

https://nypost.com/2021/02/01/elon-m...gamestop-saga/
              They didn't tell this at first, Webull had similar problems. I heard there were cals to Citadel and Robin Hood from higher ups.

Anyway since it's not worth to buy less than 2k worth of shares in my current account and I'm not willing to drop 2k on meme stock I'm staying out.

I was checking SPY (SP500) on tradingview and it's higher than a year ago pre covid with Trump in office and great economy while economy is objectively not as good. The steepness of curve has increased post covid due to all money printing. So the whole market could correct at some point. I have more cash than stocks.

Comment

I am still, to my liking, somewhat overweight in stock. This is because I refuse to sell stock and rather write call options at prices where I would make a small profit. This works to some extent as long as the stock do not fall to far such that the option premium on a stock is close to zero (I dislike anything below 0.18). One option there is to buy additional stock and write an option at a bit above of purchase price but, of course, if it declines further I face the same issue. Objectively speaking, my strategy is absolutely bonkers. Still, that portfolio that I manage actively is, although a bit heavy in stock, running a good profit (because of the other stock in there).

Should the two stocks rise, even if slowly, then I'll exit parts at pre-set prices though so in a way, if you believe that markets are generally overreacting, it is way to buy low and sell high and make some premium in between.

If you are a saver and suffer from FOMO, then I would suggest putting part of monthly savings into mutual/equity funds (assuming low transaction cost). I think that for most (myself included) the best thing to do is slowly build up a position in trackers or funds (I wish there were funds that acted like trackers but I have not found any).

I really like what is happening with GameStop and AMC but, of course, the enthousiasts are bound to lose money. It would have been better if they had some sort of valuation assuming no shorters and not buy above that. I would not entertain such a thing other than for very small amounts and just for fun.

Funny thing: I've read a few articles in WaPo actually defending the private equity / hedge fund shorters with the idea that shorters have a real function to correct overvalued equity/firms. It is not without merit I believe but, as very often IMHO, people ignore the price setting power some parties have nowadays. In a perfect market, where no participant has any significant effect on price/volume, it makes sense. In real life, not so much. Anyway, that was my ramble for the day.
                Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend View Post
                  >
                  Funny thing: I've read a few articles in WaPo actually defending the private equity / hedge fund shorters with the idea that shorters have a real function to correct overvalued equity/firms. It is not without merit I believe but, as very often IMHO, people ignore the price setting power some parties have nowadays. In a perfect market, where no participant has any significant effect on price/volume, it makes sense. In real life, not so much. Anyway, that was my ramble for the day.
                  Pretty much my feelings. My main beef are the predatory shorters who make the bet (fine) then go in front of every camera etc. evangelizing their position in a naked effort to drive the stock down.

IMO SEC should rule this as much a violation as other manipulations.
                  Dr. Mordrid

Comment

My serious portfolio is still within +/- 1%. In my brokerage it's optimal to buy 700 EUR worth of local or 2700 foreign stonks in one lot to equalize percentage fee to minimum fee. So I'm buying 2-3k quarterly but I'm not brave enough to YOLO 3k on volatile meme stock.

So I opened another account in IBKR for play and YOLO. My YOLO portfolio: 1 AMD, 1 PLTR
                    Last edited by UtwigMU; 24 February 2021, 12:06.

Comment

My serious portfolio is still within +/- 1%. In my brokerage it's optimal to buy 700 EUR worth of local or 2700 foreign stonks in one lot to equalize percentage fee to minimum fee. So I'm buying 2-3k quarterly but I'm not brave enough to YOLO 3k on volatile meme stock.

So I opened another account in IBKR for play and YOLO. My YOLO portfolio: 1 AMD, 1 PLTR
                      My big oil shares bought in march 2020 are going bonkers currently.
                      Could hold on to XOM at 10% annual dividend (at acquisition price), but with the majority of new cars migrating to electric in the next 15 years, and oil having a bad rep (susceptible to government policies), it might not be a viable long term play.
                      Just about to pull the trigger and sell all my XOM and RDS... I guess I'll see how much further this 'rotation-from-tech-into-commodities' madness continues.

Comment

Originally posted by dZeus View Post
                        My big oil shares bought in march 2020 are going bonkers currently.
                        Could hold on to XOM at 10% annual dividend (at acquisition price), but with the majority of new cars migrating to electric in the next 15 years, and oil having a bad rep (susceptible to government policies), it might not be a viable long term play.
                        Just about to pull the trigger and sell all my XOM and RDS... I guess I'll see how much further this 'rotation-from-tech-into-commodities' madness continues.
                        Good play on the oil, they performed close to MSFT (one of best in 2020) since March without being hot tech stocks. My biggest mistake was not buying anything February - September because I had only 2-3 months of cash reserves which nearly ran out. Had that happened I'd be forced to sell at 30% loss. I doubled my cash reserves now but this is painful seeing those cool new toys and money burning hole in your pocket.

For those looking for play Fisker (FSR) with Apple rumors and Foxconn in talks of making their cars is the new hotness.

In my serious portfolio I picked more SALR. Management disclosed buying shares January, they acquired another company and are publishing preliminary results Friday. SALR is Pharma wholesaler and retailer with 6% dividend yield and good growth. I went in last year this time expecting good results due to Corona and I got it right.
                        Last edited by UtwigMU; 24 February 2021, 15:30.

Comment

Good play on the oil, they performed close to MSFT (one of best in 2020) since March without being hot tech stocks. My biggest mistake was not buying anything February - September because I had only 2-3 months of cash reserves which nearly ran out. Had that happened I'd be forced to sell at 30% loss. I doubled my cash reserves now but this is painful seeing those cool new toys and money burning hole in your pocket.

For those looking for play Fisker (FSR) with Apple rumors and Foxconn in talks of making their cars is the new hotness.

In my serious portfolio I picked more SALR. Management disclosed buying shares January, they acquired another company and are publishing preliminary results Friday. SALR is Pharma wholesaler and retailer with 6% dividend yield and good growth. I went in last year this time expecting good results due to Corona and I got it right.
                          It seems that almost everybody who bought in March 2020 should be up by massive percentages by now. Oil was lagging for a long time, but the recent Texas freeze episode seems to have renewed interest in commodities again. If anything, I don't believe the current valuations for oil are tenable, as airlines are still not flying much, and many countries are still battling with Covid ; The EU has a very slow vaccination ramp-up, leaving plenty of room for renewed outbreaks. Here in France we're already seeing new hotspots in the north-west, south-east and near the German border.
                          While liquidating existing positions is easy, I have no idea where to shift the proceedings into... maybe keep them in cash for a while? Overall the valuations seem absolutely crazy right now.
                          Last edited by dZeus; 25 February 2021, 00:37.

Comment

Yeah, relative to March 2020, it is hard to find losers I guess. Reminds me of Buffets' duck in a pond analogy.

My main issue with the current oil price is that it is, AFAIK, still subject to production limitation. Now I am both a terrible market timer and stock picker but if you do liquidate, you might want to look into spreading out investing over time in diversified funds. I am currently rather passive, mostly writing calls on stock I own and I am seeking to divest as prices of the 2 stocks I own in excess of what I want actually rise. Investing monthly small amounts in funds addresses FOMO.
                            Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                            [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Cash, maybe dividend aristocrats to park gains.

EDIT: Also BRK-B is a good idea to put gains into when you don't know what to do with them.
                              Last edited by UtwigMU; 26 February 2021, 07:38.

Comment

With markets down, NVDA is very cheap today. I know we're pro Matrox here but they are not publicly traded.

While Arm deal seems dead in the water, the 3000 series did great. Also there is mining asic announced and because of mining boom there are/were no GPUs between 100 and 800 EUR in stock anywhere. This is why I'm bullish on nVidia.

When gold goes up people buy mining stocks, when BTC and ETH go up, you should buy nVidia.
                                Last edited by UtwigMU; 26 February 2021, 07:28.

Comment

Working...
                                X