No announcement yet.

Which stonks are you buying if any?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New report on Tesla Energy's US home power storage battery market share (PowerWall 2). The graphic says it all.

Tesla Energy is also big in utility storage, with a big battery array going in at an LA facility. Products: PowerPack, MegaPack.

Tesla Powerpack 2 sales share.jpg
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 9 October 2020, 09:27.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

JPMorgan creates new team to trade shares of pre-IPO giants including SpaceX, Robinhood and Airbnb

JPMorgan Chase thinks it’s found the next hot market for investors: Taking stakes in giant, pre-IPO start-ups from SpaceX to Airbnb.

The investment bank is launching a new team to connect sellers and buyers in the burgeoning market for private company shares, according to Chris Berthe, JPMorgan’s global co-head of cash equities trading. He’s lured Andrew Tuthill, a senior VP from trading platform Forge Global, to head up the new team.

“Many of our clients are looking at this as the next frontier,” Berthe said. “What do you do when markets get so high? You’re going to keep looking at value down the chain, and maybe that means getting involved in companies at earlier stages of their lifecycle.”
      >
      >
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

IBM is down and I'm soon due for my quarterly purchase. Earnings date is on 21. October. I'm wondering whether to put some money into it or wait for elections and do research on another stock to add. My projection is that IBM will be worth more as the Red Hat part is very active and has big growth potential and it should trade closer to ~30 PE instead of 14.

My brokerage is suitable for buy and hold and I get hit with 27.5 capital gains tax if I sell so I need to buy safe long term stocks. (taxes fall by 5% every five years to max 10% after 15 years). I'll open IB account once I hit 10k in my main brokerage account to play with volatile stocks and options.

One of my friends who is in "accredited investor" bracket invested in Airbnb pre-IPO and is down. It's not for the faint of heart. Letting more investors in will make for higher swings in IPO.

MSFT is up to 220 (bought at 217).
        Last edited by UtwigMU; 14 October 2020, 14:09.

Comment

Morgan Stanley is telling clients to watch Boca Chica because of its implications for StarLink deployment.

A StarLink IPO is a few years away, but when it hits...

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 16 October 2020, 02:11.
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

girl-woman-where-did-you-learn-to-do-it-so-good-me-and-intellectual-trackpoint-lenovo-keyboard.jpg

I caved IBM is 50% of my portfolio again.

Comment

IBM revenue down but the cloud/RedHat part is up 19%. Stock fell slightly but less than indexes.

NASA picks Nokia to build network on the Moon
              The wireless network is a vital part of NASA's ambitious plans to build a lunar base by the end of this decade.

Comment

Intel had bad earnings and is down 11% for the brave. Sign of things to come. Narrow election result projected and post election chaos.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
                  Cashed out 50% of what was left (+$2.35/share from in point) just before it cratered. Keeping the rest now that their lyin' chair is gone.

Now waiting for Tesla's battery day. Sounding like tabless cells (much lower internal resistance) in a much larger form factor at ~5498 (54x98mm), ~10x the volume of the current cell, and a new pack architecture. Possibly a dry cell at well under $100 kWh. New & faster mfg process. Also, a million mile (long lifetime) battery.
                  As you know, I've been consistently bashing Tesla here, saying it's a rich person's car sold with government subsidies (carbon credits), and wondering how long they could survive without regular cash infusions.

After seeing some 'full self-driving beta' videos, it does seem that Tesla has developed something very impressive here. While cautiously optimistic, if full self-driving can muster the 2% of edge use cases better than the average driver (the next 12 months will tell us), then Tesla might have something extremely valuable on hand here.

Previously I thought that self-driving vehicles were at least another 5 years away, but perhaps we're much nearer than that. A company that produces full self driving cars has the ability to bankrupt Uber overnight, as they can run a taxi service while incurring only a fraction of the labour costs that Uber does. They could even sell to owners who then have the option to rent out the car as a taxi while they aren't using it.

Comment

Tesla did it by developing their own processors (running at a fraction the power of NVIDIA's etc.), installing a redundant pair in each vehicle, building a massive machine learning supercomputer to train & update the vehicles, and totally redoing their code base.

They're all-in, period.

They're also designing a $25k vehicle, and transitioning away from their skateboard chassis to a structural battery chassis based on the 4680 cells. Each cell container forms part of a honeycomb, and the front & rear components are one-piece castings of a propriatory aluminum alloy.
                    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 24 October 2020, 18:56.
                    Dr. Mordrid

Comment

During their earnings report, Panasonic announced they're developing 4680 tabless battery cells based on what Tesla announced on Battery Day.

Given the chemistry flexibility, low internal resistance and power, there's little doubt Samsung, CATL and LG Chem will follow.
                      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Of*Mississauga,*Ontario and Dallas, Texas.

DALLAS, TX / ACCESSWIRE / November 4, 2020 / ​​​​​​​​Today, Pride Group Enterprises (PGE) is announcing that it has reserved 150 Tesla Electric Semis with the option to increase to 500 trucks.

Pride Group Enterprises Announces Reservations Placed for 150 Tesla Electric Semi Tractors

DALLAS, TX / ACCESSWIRE / November 4, 2020 /*​Today, Pride Group Enterprises (PGE) is announcing that it has reserved 150 Tesla Electric Semis with the option to increase to 500 trucks. Sam Johal, Pride Group Enterprises CEO, announced that the company has placed a deposit to secure the initial units and build slots.
                        >
                        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

ZeroHedge - On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero

TSLA Soars On Inclusion In The S&P 500

Comment

Tesla joins the S&P 500 December 21.

They're up to 461.92 after hours, and bound to go higher given inclusion in the index brings in more institutional investors.

It's also looking like they'll come close to or hit their 500,000 sales target, and the Tesla Austin factory may start installing equipment by New Years. Jezzz...that build is going fast.
                            Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 17 November 2020, 03:51.
                            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Tesla will be added to S&P500 in one gulp, not split up.

And,

Exclusive: LG Chem to double China battery capacity to meet Tesla demand - sources

SEOUL (Reuters) - South Korea’s LG Chem Ltd plans to more than double production capacity of battery cells it makes in China for Tesla Inc electric vehicles (EV) next year, sources said, to keep up with its U.S. client’s growth in the biggest car market.
                              >
                              Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 1 December 2020, 10:14.
                              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

SpaceX's StarLink gets Federal funding for rural internet... and they're planning an IPO "in a few years"

Hit the business press after FCC filings this morning, showing they received about 9.3% of the $9.2 billion program, which had 180 bidders. Geostationary providers like Hughes and ViaSat, not so much - their latencies are too high.

This is a Really. Big. Deal., and the military interest is also high.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                                X