No announcement yet.

Which stonks are you buying if any?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Based Elon unbanned Trump from Twitter. Trump has too big ego to not tweet. Trump tweeting is good for stonks.

Comment

• I've been saying for weeks that Twitter will be sold for less than 5bln. Maybe sooner, maybe less.
      Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
      [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

• Originally posted by Umfriend View Post
        I've been saying for weeks that Twitter will be sold for less than 5bln. Maybe sooner, maybe less.
        I'm still hoping that the Twitter-mess is really due to bad assessment/management, and not because Musk actively tries to force some market manipulation or even collapse some banks...
        pixar
        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

• Originally posted by VJ View Post
          I'm still hoping that the Twitter-mess is really due to bad assessment/management, and not because Musk actively tries to force some market manipulation or even collapse some banks...
          With 44bln at stake? I don't see how that could collapse any bank. I wouldn't think banks funded even 50% of the deal and still using a group of banks. Moreover, they may have required security, say over Tesla stock or something.
          Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
          [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

With 44bln at stake? I don't see how that could collapse any bank. I wouldn't think banks funded even 50% of the deal and still using a group of banks. Moreover, they may have required security, say over Tesla stock or something.
            Collapsing banks is indeed too big a word...Major banks committed 12.5bln, but that was in April and things have changed. Banks are not making other investments due to the losses they will incur on this one.

Musk is no stranger to market manipulation (for which he used tweets, so it is puzzling to me why he would destroy the chicken with the golden eggs)...
            pixar

Comment

• 12.5bln, likely split among at least 5 banks and they'll be a senior creditor. Not a biggie. Edit: Also, I really don't think banks are more hesitant due to expected losses on this specific exposure. I wouldn't say there is a flight to safety but banks and institutional and large investors of all kinds are indeed more careful now then they were up to, say, a year ago.

I worked on a transaction that closed this year. When we started last year we expected to pay a credit margin of 30-40 bps. It turned out to be 70 and it trades at 90.

And yeah, it'd be great if he hyped Doge again, I got 75 of those and need to get rich fast.
              Last edited by Umfriend; 2 December 2022, 06:45.

Comment

• New Tesla gigafactory near Monterrey Mexico will be built on a 4,2 00 acre site. Tesla Semi truck, cars, parts, batteries, etc. Massive.

A $10 billion facility, and they'll have a private lane at the Tex-Mex border crossing.

Tesla Mexico 1280.jpg
                Dr. Mordrid
                ----------------------------
                An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

• Meanwhile, Musk suggested Twitter to be valued at less than US$ 20bln (https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...than-half-paid) which I assume implies close to 20 bln. He's only off by some 15 bln now.

Comment

Meanwhile, Musk suggested Twitter to be valued at less than US$ 20bln (https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...than-half-paid) which I assume implies close to 20 bln. He's only off by some 15 bln now.
                    Another way to look at it is that he's using it as an ad agency for Tesla and his other companies. Tesla has no communications department, hasn't for years, but other auto companies spend north of $3 billion a year on this. Amortizing Twitter over 10 years...

If he does eventually get it to make a profit it's sauce on the goose.
                    Dr. Mordrid
                    ----------------------------
                    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
                      Another way to look at it is that he's using it as an ad agency for Tesla and his other companies. Tesla has no communications department, hasn't for years, but other auto companies spend north of $3 billion a year on this. Amortizing Twitter over 10 years...

Would run into 4.5bln a year in depreciation. I don;t know how important Musk himself is to Tesla but if he is, I'm not sure running Twitter alongside is optimal for Tesla. Sure, most people need a hobby but this may not be the one. It may come but I don't see Twitter stimulating sales for Tesla. Not even sure they need advertising actually, do they? They will at some point, but currently?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post

Yeah... but he could use twitter for that purposes without causing such a drop in value... So while it may result in a smaller loss in practice, I'm not buying that it is planned.

Tesla was heavily criticized for moving production to Mexico, and then moreso for moving to a region that is already suffering from water shortage... Not saying it is not a good move from economic point of view, but not a move without its issues.
                        pixar

Comment

• Twitter was unprofitable before Elon bought it.
                          Jack Dorsey agreed something needs to be done as he helped to lower the price by keeping a share and rolling his stock in Twitter ownership.
                          Elon bought Twitter not because of profit but because all social media and tech companies have been taken over by far left and started engaging in censorship of centrists and conservatives and boosting leftist sources.
                          I believe Elon really believed that something needed to be done.
                          He took a huge hit on Twitter and Tesla fell out of favor with predominantly leftist media and took a huge stock hit.

I have huge respect for him. He could have continued to support and play along with leftist establishment like Gates, Bezos and Buffet but instead decided to put his money where his mouth is and use his wealth to achieve a cause he believes in and was ready to take a hit. OK Gates believes in vaccinating everyone and is putting his money there but I don't think it's a good cause and Gates never held the good for MS users and humanity as a priority.
                          Last edited by UtwigMU; 2 April 2023, 14:24.

Comment

• Originally posted by UtwigMU View Post
                            Elon bought Twitter not because of profit but because all social media and tech companies have been taken over by far left and started engaging in censorship of centrists and conservatives and boosting leftist sources.
                            I understand words like "[far] left", "centrist" and "conservative" may be subject to some inflation but, wow.
                            Would you consider Erdogan, Orban, Putin, Díaz Canel as left?

Comment

• Erdogan religious populist, Putin conservative, Diaz I have no Idea who he is.

What was considered left of center or liberal 20 years ago during George W Bush administration:
                              - free speech
                              - no political censorship
                              - no wars for MLC/oil/empire
                              - other side should have free speech
                              - equality of rights but not outcome
                              - no unpersoning, no punishment for criticizing government (Patriot act...)

is now considered a far right view by leftist establishment in USA.

JK Rowling and Martina Navratilova are now enemies of the left.
                              Last edited by UtwigMU; 3 April 2023, 09:02.

Comment

• Originally posted by UtwigMU View Post
                                Erdogan religious populist, Putin conservative, Diaz I have no Idea who he is.
                                Díaz is the president of Cuba. So aside from him, we can agree we would classify the others as right?
                                What was considered left of center or liberal 20 years ago during George W Bush administration:
                                - free speech
                                - no political censorship
                                - other side should have free speech
                                I just don't see how the action of a private company can be construed as limiting free speech / censorship. If you don't like their moderation policies then use some other platform. Hell, a few were created for that purpose (Troth Sential, Parler or Gab for instance) but the public, apparently, is fine with the policies of FB, former Twitter or whatnot. I don't see the issue with a private company adjusting its product to maximize their userbase.
                                - no wars for MLC/oil/empire
                                Where is the left arguing for war?
                                - equality of rights but not outcome
                                This is absurd. Sure, Communists are included in the "left" so the left has some "members" that may demand equality of outcome (although that can be debated). But seriously, most of the Democrats are in fact capitalists. What is true, I think, is that a lot of research uses outcome-analysis to argue that equality of opportunity does not hold. Hardly anyone on the left is arguing that, for instance, education should not affect income.
                                - no unpersoning, no punishment for criticizing government (Patriot act...)

is now considered a far right view by leftist establishment in USA.

JK Rowling and Martina Navratilova are now enemies of the left.
                                Sorry. They spoke out, loads of people disagreed. No one is going to prison (or arguing they should). Bunch of snowflakes? FCOL.

Comment

Working...
                                X