Which stonks are you buying if any?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which stonks are you buying if any?

I know Doc is probably munching TSLA which is OK. He is probably sorted out and can afford a volatile stock in his portfolio.

I'm not there yet. Was unable to buy anything March - August. Got some Microsoft this month (long term strategy). Rest is conservative dividend stocks.

*stonks
    Last edited by UtwigMU; 9 September 2020, 08:33.

Nikola before the $2 billion GM deal to produce their Badger EV pickup. Timing is everything
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Did you cash out or are you long?

Comment

50/50.

GM will be building the Badger vehicles - some using GMs Ultium million mile battery tech, which sounds different than Tesla's.
        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 10 September 2020, 14:10.
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Mostly equity funds slowly over time worldwide. Had a bit of bad luck as I became more active just prior to Corona so had some losses on individual stocks. Only Dutch companies. Still, all small potatos.
          Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
          [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

I'm down 7% overall in stocks. Mostly because of IBM but I believe IBM will do better long term since RedHat acquisition and Jim Whitehurst getting a role there.

While dividends are 5% with taxes and fees they are not so hot.

I switched my funds to America (FAANGs, BRK... US tech and bluechip) in December and it was correct decision. Reasoning was even if there will be downturn in 2020, America printers go brrrrrrrr and with Trump in power + plunge protection team recovery there will be good.
            Last edited by UtwigMU; 11 September 2020, 02:28.

Comment

I'm about -4% but only because I have been cashing in on optionpremia. On the other hand, without those I would not have the equity portfolio I currently have.
              Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
              [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Tesla will purchase low-carbon nickle for batteries from Canada's Giga Metals.

Tesla Shanghai will expand, feeding Asia (Singapore, Australia, NZ, etc.) and some of Europe. Late 2020 or 2021. This fits with Shanghai's design center working on new, smaller model and an acceleration of Phase 2.

They're also purchasing a second piece of land near the Tesla Berlin site. More expansion.

Giga Austin is well underway, and they're talking about another factory in the Eastern US.
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

So emotions + FOMO + timing were wrong in my MSFT purchase. Also the Tik Tok deal hasn't gone to MS. Lesson don't be emotional. I'll just hold as MS will recover 10% eventually.

The brokerage I have has relatively high fees compared to US apps so it's more suitable to buy 1-2k at once for long term holding. They do all taxes and are helpful with support. Once I hit my short conservative stocks saving goal I'll open Trading 212 or IB account where I will put 5-10% of cash and play with more volatile stocks.

Does anyone have any outlook on Intel (INTC)? It's cheap ATM.

Now it's best to wait for elections.
                  Last edited by UtwigMU; 21 September 2020, 07:06.

Comment

Originally posted by UtwigMU View Post
                    So emotions + FOMO + timing were wrong in my MSFT purchase. Also the Tik Tok deal hasn't gone to MS. Lesson don't be emotional. I'll just hold as MS will recover 10% eventually.

The brokerage I have has relatively high fees compared to US apps so it's more suitable to buy 1-2k and for long term holding. Once I hit my conservative stocks saving goal I'll open Trading 212 or IB account where I will put 5-10% of cash and play with more volatile stocks.

Does anyone have any outlook on Intel (INTC)? It's cheap ATM.
                    INTC is low because of years of struggles getting good yields with new lithographic processes, years of side-channel attacks because of too-aggressive-optimizations with their OoOE implementation, Apple moving away to in-house designed custom processors across their line-up, a lack of viable strategy for mobile/embedded devices and AMD starting to do really well on servers as well as desktops and mobile again (although they seemingly are constraint by fab capacity at this point, so the damage to Intel is somewhat limited). Unless Intel can radically fix at least some of these issues, it'd be a big gamble to expect a higher share price in future imo.

Don't feel too bad about MSFT, it'll probably recover at some point as you stated. I've been taken to the cleaners on my investment in IAG (British Airways, Iberia, etc.), taking a big gamble that Covid would only have a single wave and their fortress balance sheet allowing them to gobble up smaller players. Turns out that Covid was more than a single wave, and that IAG cares more about their fortress balance sheet than shareholder interest.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
                      50/50.

GM will be building the Badger vehicles - some using GMs Ultium million mile battery tech, which sounds different than Tesla's.
                      Cashed out 50% of what was left (+$2.35/share from in point) just before it cratered. Keeping the rest now that their lyin' chair is gone.

Now waiting for Tesla's battery day. Sounding like tabless cells (much lower internal resistance) in a much larger form factor at ~5498 (54x98mm), ~10x the volume of the current cell, and a new pack architecture. Possibly a dry cell at well under $100 kWh. New & faster mfg process. Also, a million mile (long lifetime) battery.
                      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 21 September 2020, 09:09.
                      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I hope you got SPI Energy...

pixar
                        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

CRSR Corsair had IPO yesterday.

Comment

When StarLink IPOs this gives an indication of the frenzy that'll ensue,

The New York Post reports SpaceX private shares have hit $340, for a market capitalization of $58 billion. This after the Washington State militia deployed StarLink for wildfire recovery, and their report of its effectiveness.

Forget Tesla. Shares of Elon Musk’s rocket company are soaring to new heights on growing excitement over its burgeoning satellite business, The Post has learned. Demand for privately held shares of…
                            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

IBM to spin of infrastructure services, stock up 7%. Back to where I got it in January.

Comment

Working...
                              X