Which stonks are you buying if any?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by UtwigMU View Post
    Most mutual funds here and other financial products are terrible. Cousin retired, had life insurance with saving, many times it didn't make profit. One company I worked for was paying me meagre sum in state bond pension fund. I had to wait 10 years to withdraw money. After 10 years minus exit fees the result was 10% (in 10 years, not annualized, this is less than 1% annually). Another mutual fund I have performed badly but I have reduced insurance part and changed fund to America (investing in stocks like AAPL, BRK-B) because never bet against America. Despite my intervention it took me 12 years to break even. Since it's not a lot of money I'll let it run it's course. Meanwhile I'm pwning SP500 by managing my portfolio myself for 3d consecutive year - mostly blue chips.
    Mutual funds here, are quite decent nowadays and many of them are run by the big names (Fidelity, Blackrock etc). I would rather have tracker funds but so far OI have not found a way to invest in trackers by monthly instalments.
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

• Elon is savage genius:
      puts state funded media label on BBC. They complain, offers them interview. Gets on the front page. In interview he destroys the reporter. Asks him if he likes BBC at the end.

Entire interview:

Comment

• Originally posted by UtwigMU View Post
        Meanwhile I'm pwning SP500 by managing my portfolio myself for 3d consecutive year - mostly blue chips.
        Do you adjust for Beta, i.e., calculate Alpha vs SP500?
        Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
        [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

• A lot of my portfolio is low beta, stuff like IBM and MSFT.

Comment

• So, no? I do not BTW, where's the fun in that?

But seriously, IBM, MSFT are like 0.9ish. Intel, AMD, NVDA are way above 1.

Comment

• both IBM and MSFT holdings individually are more than AMD, NVDA, INTC combined.

Comment

• Listened to IBM conference call: Red Hat up 11%, revenue up 4% >50% recurring revenue, cash up but also debt up.
                SALR report came out also - good, will pay dividends next week and will acquire own shares on the market - gross yield on my first share is now 10%

Mainframe also up, growth expected in digital transformations for which every company seems to be sucking EU funds, automation and AI.

Since IBM ownership Red Hat revenue quadrupled.

IBM up 2% in premarket, higher than my basis cost.
                Last edited by UtwigMU; 19 April 2023, 15:21.

Comment

• Currently speculating on AMG, ARC, PHI and PLT (100-200 shares each, not big or anything). Q1 numbers out over next 2 weeks so option premia are nice right now.

Comment

• Picked up more Tesla shares, just in time for Ford to announce their vehicles will start using Tesla's North American Charging Standard (NACS).

Initially, Ford EV owners will get an NACS -> CCS adapter so they can use Tesla Superchargers through the Ford app. Starting in 2025, new Ford EVs will be equipped with NACS sockets.

Much of this is because Tesla is flooring the pedal as regards Supercharger rollout, but CCS is deploying at a much slower rate. Ratio is roughly 2:1. Tesla also has an advantage with a 97% up time, while CCS chargers have been suffering issues; up time is around 72.5%, and many have buggy software.

Other automakers and charge point operators have been given access to the Tesla NACS, and some operators have already announced they will be providing service for NACS vehicles.

It'll be interesting to see what GM, Stellantis, and US built imports do.
                    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 30 May 2023, 20:46.
                    Dr. Mordrid
                    ----------------------------
                    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

• How did you do in 2023?

I didn't invest much, paid off loan and saved some cash as I expect that correction will come. In spring I was expecting a correction already around November so I took some profit by selling some NVDA and some AMD. I could have waited longer.
                      Overall portfolio YoY up 50%

I regret not picking up local insurance company after it got corrected (stable dividend stock) during floods and not picking up some BRK-B in October.
                      Last edited by UtwigMU; 2 January 2024, 01:33.

Comment

• Tesla was in a dip last New Years, so bought. Up 102% for 2023.
                        Dr. Mordrid
                        ----------------------------
                        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

• Nice!

Comment

• Not sure actually, I think I did OK but I need the accounting to be sure. Same stocks although ARC is inactive now because they cost a lot and CSM / Corbion is active now. Oh, and restarted FUR, laddering to the third lot of 100.

Comment

Working...
                            X