US Midwest derecho

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Midwest derecho

Derechos are large, fast moving shelf cloud storms hitting several states with straight line winds of >50 mph (80 kph). In 1980 one hit us with peak winds of 150 mph (241.4 kph). No power for 2 weeks, roof damage, and moved our 24 foot above ground pool 2 feet off its foundation in under 10 minutes.

On August 10 this one hit the Midwest with 112 mph (161 kph) winds, causing 4 deaths and widespread damage.

August 10 NOAA optical satellite animgif with lightning sensor overlay.

NOAA stock image
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 14 August 2020, 11:33.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
    Derechos are large, fast moving shelf cloud storms hitting several states with straight line winds of >50 mph (80 kph). In 1980 one hit us with peak winds of 150 mph (241.4 kph). No power for 2 weeks, roof damage, and moved our 24 foot above ground pool 2 feet off its foundation in under 10 minutes.

On August 10 this one hit the Midwest with 112 mph (161 kph) winds, causing 4 deaths and widespread damage.

August 10 NOAA optical satellite animgif with lightning sensor overlay.

NOAA stock image
    That image looks menacing. We too had more powerful hailstorms than usually this year, several people lost roofs and many cars were smashed, fortunately I moved far away from where this took place.

2020 is not over yet.

Comment

Oh my... over here it;s just been hot this week.
      Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
      [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Originally posted by UtwigMU View Post
        That image looks menacing. We too had more powerful hailstorms than usually this year, several people lost roofs and many cars were smashed, fortunately I moved far away from where this took place.

2020 is not over yet.
        Derecho events are not that unusual in the US, they're standard equipment. Roughly 60 since 2000, and they move FAST.
        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 14 August 2020, 23:01.
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
        X