No announcement yet.

In COVID Quarantine : What to do ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seven Midwestern states (MI, OH, WI, MN, IL, IN, KY) are coordinating a phased reopening, with some loosening in May-ish if their curves continue to bend down. Very much driven by the data and federal guidelines.

All told there are 17 states planning ohase-ins.
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 18 April 2020, 09:35.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Saw the protests outside the Governors House in Indiana today. Mass show of people arm to arm bitching about the delayed reopening for at least another two weeks. Wish there was a virus for that kind of problem
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

The protests in MI were because Gov. Gretchen Whitmer's (D) distancing edict had many exclusions which were stupid & contradictory, and some downright wrong.

Ex:

* contrary to the Federal guidelines, she banned landscape & yard services, even for handicappers, the chronically ill and elderly. Even if they pay by phone using plastic, and use distancing.

* you can go to a hypermarket for anything but the Lawn & Garden Dept. to buy seeds or supplies for a garden. It's taped off.

* you can go to a state park, but not your cottage 2 miles away. However, if the cottage next door's owner lives in another state he CAN visit his.

Stupid stuff like that, which some cities & Sheriff's are refusing to enforce.

This goes along with her early miscue; bitching about not getting federal aid when her office hadn't sent in the FEMA disaster declaration request which would trigger it. Took weeks to get the aid. Even the local liberal paper called her out.
        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 19 April 2020, 00:13.
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

In Belgium, I think they were champion regarding inconsistent rules: funerals can have 15 people (but for dispersing the ashes only person can be present), weddings can have only 5 people. You cannot make non-essentials movements yet you can (and should) go out for exercise but not too far from home ("not too far" is not defined). And for exercise you can walk or bicycle, but no skateboard. Bicycle is allowed motorcycle not. Many such confusing and idiotic things...

But still, a mass protest in the time of pandemic is not really the smartest way to show grievances...
          pixar
          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Whitmer may have made mistakes but some of those protesters are stupid, perhaps criminally so. How will they feel about accountability of the demonstrations cause a new spike in spreads?
            Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
            [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

The VAST majority followed the plan; staying in their cars & honking.

As usual, a few percent who were idiots made the news, and the news media made it seem they were the majority.
              Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 19 April 2020, 06:11.
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend View Post
                Whitmer may have made mistakes but some of those protesters are stupid, perhaps criminally so. How will they feel about accountability of the demonstrations cause a new spike in spreads?
                I don't think this thing will go away until enough people have had it to reach herd immunity. It's hard to control the optimal rate of spread, especially since any effects will take about 14+ days to show up in terms of ICU needs.

Since politicians, media and health care sector seem to emphasize prevention of highly visible deaths (Covid-19) over all other misery caused by the lockdown (deaths of non-Covid patients that cannot be treated right now, suffering from job losses/temporary unemployment, etc.), perhaps it is not such a bad idea if people spread the virus a bit faster than what otherwise would have happened in these conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
                  The VAST majority followed the plan; staying in their cars & honking.

As usual, a few percent who were idiots made the news, and the news media made it seem they were the majority.
                  I have not seen that in the media. That is why I mentioned "some".
                  Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                  [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Originally posted by dZeus View Post
                    I don't think this thing will go away until enough people have had it to reach herd immunity. It's hard to control the optimal rate of spread, especially since any effects will take about 14+ days to show up in terms of ICU needs.

Since politicians, media and health care sector seem to emphasize prevention of highly visible deaths (Covid-19) over all other misery caused by the lockdown (deaths of non-Covid patients that cannot be treated right now, suffering from job losses/temporary unemployment, etc.), perhaps it is not such a bad idea if people spread the virus a bit faster than what otherwise would have happened in these conditions.
                    It seems to me that if it is hard to control the optimal rate of spread if people adheare to regulations, it becomes much harder when they don't. Surely we can agree that avoiding job-loss comes at a tremendeous cost, not only in Coid-19 deaths but also others due to depression ('everyone is dying'), failure for other care (health care is swamped) etc.

I guess it is hard to compare but in the Netherlands for instance, hospitals are resuming non-Covid care and operations.

Comment

Meanwhile, 288,361 have digitally signed a Change.org "Recall Gov. Whitmer" petition.

WHEN a formal recall effort happens they'll have those contacts as a head start. It only takes 200,000 to force a recall election.
                      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I find it amazing how quite a few people get upset of, in the grander scheme of things, rather trivial matters. You can't buy seeds for your garden for a few weeks: REVOLT!

Comment

Originally posted by dZeus View Post

As I understand it, we still don't know if 'Herd Immunity' is even possible.
                          No Vaccines currently exist for any of the Human-transmissible coronavirus's, we are not even sure we can make one.
                          We don't know how effective any antibodies our body's may make, or how long they stay around.

Too many unknowns, and the risk just isn't worth it.
                          You only need to make the wrong decision once.
                          PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
                          Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
                          +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Originally posted by Greebe View Post
                            Jumper off the GPIO to the HAT and add one of these HS's... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Want real high end audio on a Pi? https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/grou...o-kit-buy.html
                            I'm going to look into a 90° angle adapter for the GPIO, so i can place the DAC+ card vertically.
                            The heatsinks I have are plenty big, its just the one I have now heats the DAC+ card up a lot, without the fan (that i unplug at night because its too noisy).
                            PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
                            Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
                            +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend View Post
                              It seems to me that if it is hard to control the optimal rate of spread if people adheare to regulations, it becomes much harder when they don't. Surely we can agree that avoiding job-loss comes at a tremendeous cost, not only in Coid-19 deaths but also others due to depression ('everyone is dying'), failure for other care (health care is swamped) etc.

I guess it is hard to compare but in the Netherlands for instance, hospitals are resuming non-Covid care and operations.
                              Doubt that it is just a matter of adhering vs. not adhering. First of all, adhere to which regulations exactly? The Swedish? Dutch? American (which state)?

There's a lot of variation between these countries or even at state level.

I do think that politicians will prefer to have fewer Covid-19 deaths today, even if the net effect on society is detrimental vs. a sonewhat more elevated infection rate.

Civil disobedience and local protests may serve as a healthy counterbalance.

Comment

Are you in Sweden? No? Then the Swedish regulations are probably not for you. Common sense also helps out a lot.

Civil disobedience? You mean, gathering in larger numbers in close proximity? That's not civil disobedience, that's simply stupid.

I understand that some feel that we currently do not give enough care to others as, quite often, hospitals postpone other care, some really important and urgent even. But the notion that by relaxing measures and increasing the infection rate haphazardly would allow for more care for others is simply false and contrary to what would happen. Northern-Italy got out of hand. That can happen in Michigan as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X