No announcement yet.

In COVID Quarantine : What to do ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, you've made tons of cool stuff. I can't make much out of metal, I'm very restricted on space. I haven't made a true bow yet, or at least nothing without cheap elastics. I might look into it when my son gets older, that's something I miss doing. I think my dad still has my bow laying around.

So you made a bat'leh? Tell me more! That would be a very cool martial arts weapon, there are lots of techniques from many different weapons I can use with a bat'leh. What did you make yours out of? Beautiful damascus steel? Sublime titanium? Real Vibranium? Boring refrigerator box cardboard covered if aluminium tape with hockey tape around the handles? (that's probably how MY prototype would look at least)

Dilliante: Can you 3D print stuff out of titanium? Like a pair of sai, or a bat'leh? You can't keep an edge but god dammit I love that metal for some reason. If I had a titanium 3D printer, I'd 3d print all my rc parts for my RC8.2e, I'd make my own skateboard trucks, utensils, chopsticks, door handles, railings, many watches and necklace, earrings...no wait, she already has a pair. ; )
    Titanium is the new bling!
    (you heard from me first!)

Comment

At work we have a metal 3D printer, but they are in an entirely different league. They use laser-sintering ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiUUZxp7bLQ ): the source material is powder, this is spread over a surface and then a laser goes over what is to be printed, the whole bed lowers (one layer height), power is added, leveled and the process repeats.
      The source material is ridiculously expensive (look at thousands of dollars per kg, depending on which metal you want).

There is a Belgian brand of glasses that sells 3D printed titanium glasses: https://hoet.be/en/couture-brillen/impressie-collectie .
      pixar
      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

SpaceX uses both laser sintering and electron beam melting, with alloys from titanium blends to a custom Inconel superalloy for the SuperDraco launch abort engines. They can even vary metal characteristics from one region of a part to another.

Amazing tech.
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
          At work we have a metal 3D printer, but they are in an entirely different league. They use laser-sintering ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiUUZxp7bLQ ): the source material is powder, this is spread over a surface and then a laser goes over what is to be printed, the whole bed lowers (one layer height), power is added, leveled and the process repeats.
          The source material is ridiculously expensive (look at thousands of dollars per kg, depending on which metal you want).

There is a Belgian brand of glasses that sells 3D printed titanium glasses: https://hoet.be/en/couture-brillen/impressie-collectie .
          My current glasses are broken, can't be fixed. A nice pair of titanium ones would do the trick.à

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
          SpaceX uses both laser sintering and electron beam melting, with alloys from titanium blends to a custom Inconel superalloy for the SuperDraco launch abort engines. They can even vary metal characteristics from one region of a part to another.

Amazing tech.
          Never heard of, interesting!

Comment

Originally posted by ZokesPro View Post
            My current glasses are broken, can't be fixed. A nice pair of titanium ones would do the trick.à

Never heard of, interesting!
            About 35-40% of the Raptor engine is printed; multi-staged turbopumps, injectors, valves, preburners, etc. with much of the rest using explosive hydroforming; chambers (inner & outer walls), actively cooled nozzle, etc. Propriatory alloys.

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 11 May 2020, 00:16.
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

It seems easier to print something then to machine it, especially if the alloy is hard to work with to begin with.

But nothing beats a hand forged items. You can make an item perfectly using a 3D printer fine. But it's way more satisfying making something with your hands.
              Last edited by ZokesPro; 11 May 2020, 10:12.

Comment

Originally posted by ZokesPro View Post
                It seems easier to print something then to machine it, especially if the alloy is hard to work with to begin with.
                Inconel alloys do a good job of destroying tools.

But nothing beats a hand forged items. You can make an item perfectly using a 3D printer fine. But it's way more satisfying making something with your hands.
                Yeah, my father and I hammered a bunch of iron on our farm. Even thermite welded a cracked tractor engine block.
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                X