In COVID Quarantine : What to do ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Key data WRT opening up:

the primary risks are associated with high population densities; mass transit, crowded streets, major gatherings such as stadiums, and other features associated with cities and near suburbs.

NYC density = 38,242/km2

Here in MI the outbreak is hot in the tri-county area around Detroit (Wayne, Oakland & Macomb),

density = 1,078/km2

and much less so in smaller cities like Battle Creek

density = 338/km2

Of the 83 counties in MI the vast majority have single-digit deaths, and statewide the Y2Y death count (all causes) for March was DOWN from 8,542 to 5,929 in 2020.

MI density = 67/km2

MI will likely open on a county by county basis, those with low infection & death counts leading the way.

Maybe high density cities aren't such a good idea
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend View Post
      Are you in Sweden? No? Then the Swedish regulations are probably not for you. Common sense also helps out a lot.

Civil disobedience? You mean, gathering in larger numbers in close proximity? That's not civil disobedience, that's simply stupid.

I understand that some feel that we currently do not give enough care to others as, quite often, hospitals postpone other care, some really important and urgent even. But the notion that by relaxing measures and increasing the infection rate haphazardly would allow for more care for others is simply false and contrary to what would happen. Northern-Italy got out of hand. That can happen in Michigan as well.
      obviously my point was that the wide difference in observed policies around Covid-19 is not just based on culture and automatically the best fit for the given challenges in each jurisdiction. Just because politicians have the ability to wield power over others, don't necessarily make them best qualified to do so (in fact, I would often argue for the opposite). Imo it's important to keep an open spirit and play the devil's advocate on whatever policies are proposed, instead of blindly following directives.

btw. northern Italy got out of hand because the disease was not detected until community spread had been going on for many weeks, and because of a very large number of elderly living in multi-generational family homes. I don't see the connection with people not following regulations there.
      Last edited by dZeus; 20 April 2020, 08:04.

Comment

It's fine if policies are challenged. It seems obvious to me that policies can vastly and rightfully differ between locations based on the local circumstances. My I did not (and still don't I think) get your point.

I wonder then: Who is best, or at least better, qualified then the government (and let's stick to democratically elected even if that includes Brazil )? It has to be some definition of a group that would in all cases improve.

I acknowledge that wrt northern-Italy there is no connection to regulations but there is a connection to people not practicing sensible, although for Italy after the fact only, social distancing.
        Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
        [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend View Post
          It's fine if policies are challenged. It seems obvious to me that policies can vastly and rightfully differ between locations based on the local circumstances. My I did not (and still don't I think) get your point.

I wonder then: Who is best, or at least better, qualified then the government (and let's stick to democratically elected even if that includes Brazil )
          >
          The US guidelines are spelled out by the Department of Defense in the DIB-ECIWM (Defense Industrial Base- Essential Critical Infrastructure Workforce Memo)

Most states have followed the DIB-ECIWM, with a few changes for local circumstances.

MI's Governor has not, and her overreaches have pissed off a large number of her constituency.

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 20 April 2020, 11:47.
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
            The protests in MI were because Gov. Gretchen Whitmer's (D) distancing edict had many exclusions which were stupid & contradictory, and some downright wrong.

Ex:

* contrary to the Federal guidelines, she banned landscape & yard services, even for handicappers, the chronically ill and elderly. Even if they pay by phone using plastic, and use distancing.

* you can go to a hypermarket for anything but the Lawn & Garden Dept. to buy seeds or supplies for a garden. It's taped off.

* you can go to a state park, but not your cottage 2 miles away. However, if the cottage next door's owner lives in another state he CAN visit his.

Stupid stuff like that, which some cities & Sheriff's are refusing to enforce.

This goes along with her early miscue; bitching about not getting federal aid when her office hadn't sent in the FEMA disaster declaration request which would trigger it. Took weeks to get the aid. Even the local liberal paper called her out.
            I watched a webinar by leading sport psychologist on how to deal with isolation. He explained in times of crisis leaders have to act in autocratic way. Also there are two types of people. Some see causes for their issues outside themselves, while others look on how they can adapt to bad situation. The first type starts blaming people in authority and others.

Here center-right government is doing well (low number of cases, lockdown not as strict as in Italy, France, UK, helping economy, basic income for self employed, 80% people think government measures are working) but the far left are loosing it and are already planning protests. They would have protested already were it not for epidemic but now that they need to sit at home while right have what they perceive as police state (left government would act similarly as other EU governments).
            Last edited by UtwigMU; 20 April 2020, 15:53.

Comment

Isolation is a thing all of you know me by. I have lived in isolation the entire time while being on the MURC for >25 years or so now caring for my son... and for the better part of my life early on, a very complicated WTF situation. It's not fun and bare more than a few scars from it. You must let go of what is considered a common time scale for everything and what you cannot change,.. today, it may be awhile. Use this time to better yourself and to dig a little deeper into whom you are as a person. I TECH, I READ, I FEED my squirrels and they hunt me down for nuts. Not kidding they dig up rocks and put them in the trees... ammo! Neighbor kid 3 year old had to be taught not to just walk into my home because of this failure to stand up when it mattered, now an epidemic. Fifth bloom on a little tea rose we replanted twice now will have it's 6th and third bloom at the same time in another day. Butterflies flit about between my neighbors yard and mine. I love kids, critters and the Earth, but the raccoons playing on the roof lastnight tested me. They think my custom made antenna is a ladder to a tree branch overhanging the roof. Adults generally suck, corrupted by their trivial desires and lazy ignorance or exploitive nature. Yet there are those whom stand above and they give me hope. Some of them are here and I call them friends whether they know it or not

P.S. I have a ladder to the roof up, they don't use that. No it's gotta be Tree, Antenna, Roof or Roof, Antenna, Tree in that order
              P.P.S. Currently I'm doing, speaker/acoustic design, upgrades to several 3D printers I have now, Pi4b kinda things. Bought a new chair yesterday so I can sit here without back and neck pain and leg and foot pain from pinched nerbs. More 3D printer things and OMG SO MANY BABY YODA's
              P.P.P.S. Ask Dilitante
              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

What people call a lockdown, is bascially what my Holidays have been like every year, for the past 10-15 years.
                I'm mentally prepared for this, and am actually seeing this as a prolonged holiday (sorry for those having a hard time, especially with kids, or those stuck in apartments).

In fact, i haven't been this healthy in a long, long time.

I do need a new chair though, i've been using a wooden dinner chair since my comfy swivel/lean back chair broke.
                Almost got all the parts I need to start work on one of the cars. It's always that one piece you can't start without that arrives last...
                PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
                Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
                +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

In COVID Quarantine : What to do ? Answer: practice martial arts! Goes with what Greebe says. (I do miss physio therapy though as my back isn't in great shape)

Speaking of martial arts, I've noticed that since the quanratine started is how many of my neighbors used to practice martial arts! My house is kinda small so I mostly practice outside. One of my neighbors the other say saw me practice a kobudo kata and later came back outside to see me with a gift. She gave me a pair of sai! She said this was her favorite weapon but stopped practicing and gave them to me knowing I'd put them to good use. And I have! I'm learning the kihon, and basic manipulation of the sai. They are awesome, super heavy but awesome. What an honor to recieve such a gift!
                  Titanium is the new bling!
                  (you heard from me first!)

Comment

I took karate lessons ages ago. After about seven lessons they stripped me of my white belt: wasn't good enough.
                    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

I don't buy it. :P

Comment

With the youngest son and grandson not in college (closed) we've been chatting with them over Duo, the most we've chatted with them since they started school and chasing co-eds.
                        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Greebe View Post
                          P.P.S. Currently I'm doing, speaker/acoustic design, upgrades to several 3D printers I have now, Pi4b kinda things. Bought a new chair yesterday so I can sit here without back and neck pain and leg and foot pain from pinched nerbs. More 3D printer things and OMG SO MANY BABY YODA's
                          P.P.P.S. Ask Dilitante
                          Ayup, and here is one of his creations 8Þ

244.jpg
                          Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

I've made even more kobudo training tools from exotic wood.
                            Last edited by ZokesPro; 21 May 2020, 21:40.

Comment

Big archery & primitive weapons family.

We've made boomerangs of several types, ditto atlatls, boleadoras, and several types of wooden bow, including longbows, and a few crossbows. I've made than a few muzzle loading rifles.

With my grandson, we made a few puukko style hunting knives and gave them as gifts. A big hit because of the utility of the puukko design. Also made myself a bat'leth
                              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I HEARD THAT! Have neck/back pains from sitting in a dinner table chair for some years now. Three years ago discovered this room floods so corner desk had to be raised and ensued the pain. Desktop far above normal, not ergo at all. Anywho that turned into three years of procrastination. Just got a new one, https://www.officedepot.com/a/produc...ngs-High-Back/ for $254 with 7% tax. Never put the wheels supplied on it. That honor went to larger Seddox roller blade style wheels purchased a year earlier... see what I mean, procrastination, but my neck thanks me now
                                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X