Thread: Anyone build an SBC?

Default Anyone build an SBC?

I have 2, an Odroid XU4 and a raspberry pi zero.

My odroid is running retropie for retro gaming, runs really smooth. In a standard case, removed the original heatsink and glued on a think passive one. Temps are high but it's very stable.

My raspberry pi is also running retropie, I also glued a heatsink to it so I can overclock it, but ever since I got the odroid up and running, it's been stored away. But I used an old NES controller as a case. But I did use it quite a bit and it overclocks nicely to 1.2Ghz with a heatsink.
    Last edited by ZokesPro; 9th April 2020 at 05:41. Reason: cause I damned well feel like editing, jeez!
    This is the way.

What is an SBC?
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Single Board Computer

cell phones are SBC's
    This is the way.

Haven't exactly built one, but I use several.

Pi Zero W, Pi2, 2x Pi3B, 2x Pi4 2GB, Pine64 2GB, Tinkerboard S, 2x Odroid N2.

I have a Pi3B on the tv upstairs for Kodi (Coreelec), and a Pi4 2GB on my 27" monitor for Kodi too (Libreelec).
    Odroid N2 with Armbian, replaces the Pine64 which was just very slow, and the N2 finally has a recent (>5.x) Kernel, and it has eMMC onboard too, which is way faster than the µSD on the Pine64.

The N2 has only been back up for about 2 days, but is the fastest board yet.
    I'm more limited to the number of video inputs on my screens, and the USB switch, for KB and Mouse.
    HDMI to DVI, to DP and to VGA all occupied, as well as the HDMI port.

Being in lockdown, I have more time to play with them.

Have been meaning to put retropie onto one of them.
    Or Mame.
    PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
    Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
    +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

I seriously DO NOT recommend buying an Odroid N2.
    I have had problems with it in the past, which is why the second one is still in its box.

It has a USB3 problem, and it has to be limited to USB2 speeds, otherwise it requires a full shutdown, and power off, to recuperate, and even then, it only takes a short while to crap out.
    All USB drives disconnect. Makes it pretty useless for production usage.

I'm using the official MATE image from the odroid website, and its going fine so far.
    Just 35MB/s max transfer. I only use it for other purposes, i'm not even sure the audio part works properly.
    It's not being worked on very much, since it's borked in the hardware.

I hope the Pi4 gets better images soon, that should be a stonker in all area's, especially with the huge community behind it.
    PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.

The OS is running off of a SanDisk Extreme 32GB UHS-I microSDXC, I get 76MB/s read and 34MB/s write, but the access time is ten fold that of the mighty eMMC module. Some Apps crash in android 7.1.1. In retropie it works great all around but I don't game with it. I changed the OS to try and get it to work on 720p but it's bizarre the way it works with my tv. So it kinda remains turned off most of the time, not sure what to do with it.
    Last edited by ZokesPro; 15th April 2020 at 19:37. Reason: (on my odroid ux4)
    This is the way.

Quote Originally Posted by ZokesPro View Post
    The OS is running off of a SanDisk Extreme 32GB UHS-I microSDXC, I get 76MB/s read and 34MB/s write, but the access time is ten fold that of the mighty eMMC module. Some Apps crash in android 7.1.1. In retropie it works great all around but I don't game with it. I changed the OS to try and get it to work on 720p but it's bizarre the way it works with my tv. So it kinda remains turned off most of the time, not sure what to do with it.
    TV's, even LCD ones, aren't usually a 'real' 720p.
    Ours requires a 1366x768 signal to display properly, as do most TV's.
    On HDMI, it should just 'work' as the board should detect the native resolution of the TV.
    The problem is that it not being a 'Standard' resolution, a lot of Distributions don't cater for it.

I put together a Raspberry Pi, but made the mistake of getting this very cheap lcd touchscreen (Kedei) that connects on the GPIO. It works fine, but has very low framerate and blocks the GPIO (which actually is the point of the Pi). Also, it needs a customized kernel, so you are limited in what you can upgrade. I got a usb rtl-sdr and used it to make a DAB radio, tv receiver (server) and even an ads-receiver (to track planes). None of the things are in use at the moment, the biggest achievement is my own script that allows you to select the lcd or the hdmi display (because of course you cannot use them both). The downside for me was that with those experiments, it was more messing with Linux and drivers than messing with hardware, so subsequently I got an Arduino with some accessories. Nice toys to play with, but at the moment it is also all sitting in a box as really have too much to do and too little time...

Regarding the Raspberry: now I would get one of those proper HDMI touchscreens, so the GPIOs are still free.
    Regarding the Arduino: a kit with e.g. a car or some robot thing would be nicer than the kit I have which has just sensors and things.
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Super MURCer

Quote Originally Posted by ZokesPro View Post
    Single Board Computer

cell phones are SBC's
    Though you were meaning a Session Boarder Controller as used in VOIP trunking. :-)
    paulw

Quote Originally Posted by paulw View Post
    Though you were meaning a Session Boarder Controller as used in VOIP trunking. :-)
    I'm sure you could use and SBC to make an SbC or an SbC to make an SBC.
    This is the way.

I have a raspberry pi running Pi-Hole as DNS and DHCP server. Super impressed!
    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Thread Information