movie suggestions/comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• movie suggestions/comments

Let's perhaps start with a movie thread, to suggest things to watch during the isolation. These are my opinions on some of the movies I watched recently.

Knives out: very nice whodunit, nicely acted, good story with nice twists and well made.
    The grand budapest hotel: unique atmosphere, great movie
    Jojo rabbit: interesting movie, but may not appeal to everyone

Spiderman far from home: very entertaining, I liked the villain (origin + concept)
    Jumanji: next level: very entertaining; it helps to have seen the first movie though, but I like how they rebooted Jumanji as a computer game. The characters are well chosen and the sequel is more of the same, but that is good.

Thor Ragnarok, Avengers infinity war/endgame: somehow it all went a bit too far for me. Especially the Avengers movies are IMO full of plotholes and unlikely choices/events to the point that it bothered me.

Joker: nice movie, but I think it should not have been in the batman universe. It is a great drama on how a person with psychological problems spirals down, but one would not expect such a heavy movie/topic in the batman universe.
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

I like the idea. However, I am more into series. I find the 2hrs sit for a movie somewhat tiring and prefer the 5hr+ bingefests with series consisting of .5 to 1hr episodes .

Seriously undervalues is the Sense8 series. It was a shame it did not get to run a full 5 seasons or so but at least the Wachowskis were able to turn out a 2.5hr finale. Also on Netflix, La Foret (French), Undercover (Belgian, really good).
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Not a big fan of series, they tend to stop when the concept has been beaten to death rather than stopping at the height of the series. As I don't know when this switchover point happens (it's usually gradual), I usually feel disillusioned after a while.

Anyway, here we go:
      - Baron Noir (french political drama, comparable to Yes Prime Minister where comedy has been replaced by drama and suspense).
      - The Expanse (scifi; first 2 seasons are best imo)

Films:
      - Au Poste ! (If you like French/Belgian comedy)

On my list to watch:
      - Fauda
      - Twin Peaks the Return
      - Le diner des cons
      Last edited by dZeus; 5 April 2020, 13:39.

Comment

We also like series...

Good Omens is very good (but British sense of humor, you like it or you don't). We have started The Expanse and Westworld (first season so far very good, albeit a bit confusing as it is not always clear which scene plays in which time). Then off course Doctor Who, the stories got a bit weaker but we feel that the later episodes again improved. And now we are watching Doc Martin, simple British comedy about a London surgeon who becomes general practitioner in Cornwall...
        pixar
        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Originally posted by dZeus View Post
          Not a big fan of series, they tend to stop when the concept has been beaten to death rather than stopping at the height of the series. As I don't know when this switchover point happens (it's usually gradual), I usually feel disillusioned after a while.
          Yeah, that happens quite a bit. However, there are series that started out with a plan where they stick to it. I thought of some others that I wish I hadn't seen yet so I could watch them now:
          - Au Service de la France (rather drole, French, there is a great scene where they speak with the CIA about JFK).
          - Atypical
          - The Kominsky Method
          Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
          [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend View Post
            Yeah, that happens quite a bit. However, there are series that started out with a plan where they stick to it. I thought of some others that I wish I hadn't seen yet so I could watch them now:
            - Au Service de la France (rather drole, French, there is a great scene where they speak with the CIA about JFK).
            - Atypical
            - The Kominsky Method
            yup have watched and fully endorse 'Au service de la France'.
            Will check the others..

Comment

Come to think of it, there are some others as well:
              - The Bridge (the Swedish/Danish version), but I guess all have seen that one already.
              - The Killing, the US version, the first two seasons.
              - Broadchurch
              - Line Of Duty. Netflix, over here, offers seasons 3 and 4. DO find seasons 1 and 2 first. Season 1 is great and season 2 will be hard to watch when you've seesn season 3 because you already know to much. Every season is a story with an overarching story on top. Recommandable.

Easy and for a bit of fun: Grace & Frankie. Except for the season before last, that one was bad.

I rewatched (which I hardly ever do) Yes Minister and Yes, Prime Minister over the past two months. Classic and very funny still.

Comment

I want to watch the Mandalorian, Mr.Robot was pretty cool.
                Titanium is the new bling!
                (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Just watched 'Le diner de cons', absolutely hilarious
                  Last edited by dZeus; 9 April 2020, 14:21.

Comment

Originally posted by dZeus View Post
                    Just watched 'Le diner de cons', absolutely hilarious
                    Gonna try it soon. Have you ever seen Le Prenom? The first half is, uhm, I don't know, I couldn't stop laughing and enjoyed it so much. The rest is, well, pretty standard.

I only have Netflix and I do like to try out non-US stuff. I am amazed (and jealous) at what the Belgians manage to churn out, We, the Dutch, are so far behind in like everything. Whether it is story writing, acting, camerawork combined with sound, they make us look like amateurs. One great example is Undercover which even has a few Dutch actors playing big roles and there they do amazingly well.

Comment

Excellent thread !
                      I've been spending over an hour at night sometimes deciding what to watch...

Mini-Series :
                      The Lost Room, if you haven't seen it. 3 Parts of 1h30.

Films :
                      Superbad (laughed a lot last night)
                      Dikkenek, Belgian film iirc, very funny.
                      Dobermann (Mathieu Cassovitz and Monica Belluci, Tcheky Karyo, Violent, funny, extreme, loud techno music sometimes)
                      Tag (2018)
                      Stand by Me (1986)
                      The Stag (2013)
                      Space Station 76 (2014)
                      Severance (2006)
                      Run all night (2015 Liam Neeson getting payback (again)
                      Rollerball (1975) not the crap remake.
                      Pump up the volume (1990) a young Christian Slater
                      For Yakuza fans, the 'Outrage' trilogy, with Takeshi Kitano
                      Battle Royale, also Takeshi Kitano
                      Bad Words
                      O Brother, where art thou ?

Series:
                      Mr Robot
                      Rick and Morty

Otherwise, i've watched lately (in no paticular order) :
                      The 'Saw' series of films
                      Final Destination Series of films
                      (I'm a bit of a horror buff, and it sure takes your mind off Coronavirus...)

I've broken out the box of DVD's and Blurays in the garage lol

Hoping I don't have to break out the VHS player, not sure I have a screen that will plug in to....
                      PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
                      Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
                      +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

C'est arrivé près de chez vous (Man Eats Dog) also Belgian iirc.
                        Pinot, Simple Flic (or just about any film with Gérard Jugnot)

The French Connection I and II

Halloween Film series
                        PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend View Post
                          Gonna try it soon. Have you ever seen Le Prenom? The first half is, uhm, I don't know, I couldn't stop laughing and enjoyed it so much. The rest is, well, pretty standard.
                          Just watched Le Prenom, not bad and like Au Poste ! and Le diner de cons it looks like an adapted theater play.

Btw do you know Le père Noel est un ordure ?

Comment

The 'Cinémathèque Française' is showing a selection of rare films that have been restored in the last 20 years.

HENRI, la plateforme VOD de la Cinémathèque française, vous fait découvrir gratuitement en ligne des films rares issus de ses collections.

There is only a handful of films to watch for now, but more will be added, day by day.
                            Its free streaming.

Comment

I seem to be going all nostalgic, went thru a huge list of films, and have decided on the original Tron.

Also to add to the list,
                              The Black Hole, by Disney.
                              One of the first films with computer graphics incorporated.

Comment

Working...
                              X