Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• old hardware question: db25 scsi cable as serial cable

Hello,

Blast from the past... I would like to connect two devices using a serial cable, both have a DB9 connector.

It just happens that I do not have a DB9-DB9 serial cable , but I do have a DB25 SCSI cable (from a scanner) and I also have 2 DB9-DB25 serial port adapters. Really, don't ask me how I end up with that combination of cables .

So the question: can I connect it as follows: DB9-DB25 adapter <> DB25 scsi cable <> DB25-DB9 adapter...?

The pinouts I think should line up correctly (I believe the DB25 scsi cable is just a straight pin connection), but are there other electrical properties of the cables I should consider?

Not sure if it plays a part, but I just need a 9600 baud connection speed.

Thanks!

Jörg

PS: in case you are wondering why: to integrate an home cinema amplifier in a home automation system, the amplifier is an older model that only has an rs232 port for external control.
    Last edited by VJ; 23 February 2020, 05:04.
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Originally posted by VJ View Post
    Hello,

Blast from the past... I would like to connect two devices using a serial cable, both have a DB9 connector.

It just happens that I do not have a DB9-DB9 serial cable , but I do have a DB25 SCSI cable (from a scanner) and I also have 2 DB9-DB25 serial port adapters. Really, don't ask me how I end up with that combination of cables .

So the question: can I connect it as follows: DB9-DB25 adapter <> DB25 scsi cable <> DB25-DB9 adapter...?

The pinouts I think should line up correctly (I believe the DB25 scsi cable is just a straight pin connection), but are there other electrical properties of the cables I should consider?

Not sure if it plays a part, but I just need a 9600 baud connection speed.

Thanks!

Jörg

PS: in case you are wondering why: to integrate an home cinema amplifier in a home automation system, the amplifier is an older model that only has an rs232 port for external control.
    I think it should work, thought 25-pin SCSI cable is on the large side. I used to have mini 50 to large 50 and then 50 to 25 adapter for my Umax Astra. On the inside I had SCSI CD burner and CD ROM

I think 25-pin SCSI cables can be used in place of parallel connectors.

Comment

Thanks.
      Yes, it is quite a thick, long and stiff cable... quite stupid considering I have to bridge approx. 20 cm. But it would allow me to test the configuration. I'm currently using a usb-rs232 adapter, but got me a simple bracket that uses the mainboard's internal serial port (ironically: to have it take up less physical space ). Either in the end I'll get a short DB9 cable, or a couple of db9-RS45 adapters to use utp cable of the length I need.
      pixar

Comment

First off WOW lol

You should be fine. PM me when you get a chance VJ
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I found a DB9 cable at my girlfriend's place, but it is a 3m cable... so even more stupid to bridge the 20cm, so I guess it will depend which cable I can position better (may actually be the scsi one for now)...

Probably on my next order for electronics stuff I will add some simple db9 plugs for wiring: I will need serial ports for a number of things (amplifier, projector, router) and that would allow me any cable length I want.

PS: PM sent
          pixar

Comment

Working...
          X