Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nikkei Tesla Model 3 teardown: 6 years ahead of Toyota, VW...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nikkei Tesla Model 3 teardown: 6 years ahead of Toyota, VW...

Closed today at $858.48, $882 aftermarket (2000 Eastern)

"Battery Day" in April, where new battery & power train advances are expected after acquiring 3 battery tech companies.

Hints of a Texas Gigafactory, possibly for batteries, Cybertruck & Semi. Also possible: a smaller Cybertruck or van and a Cybercar.

Tesla teardown finds electronics 6 years ahead of Toyota and VW

Self-driving AI sends shivers through traditional supply chains

Musk is hinting a Texas Gigafactory, echoing a recent hint by Trump of a new factory. Likely for the Cybertruck, Semi, but possibly a smaller Cybertruck. Visiting analysts have also mentioned a CyberCar.

TOKYO -- Toyota Motor and Volkswagen each sell 10 million cars, give or take, every year. Tesla delivered about 367,500 in 2019. But when it comes to electronics technology, Elon Musk's scrappy company is far ahead of the industry giants.

This is the takeaway from Nikkei Business Publications' teardown of the Model 3, the most affordable car in the U.S. automaker's all-electric lineup, starting at about $33,000.

What stands out most is Tesla's integrated central control unit, or "full self-driving computer." Also known as Hardware 3, this little piece of tech is the company's biggest weapon in the burgeoning EV market. It could end the auto industry supply chain as we know it.
    >
    Most parts inside the Model 3 do not bear the name of a supplier. Instead, many have the Tesla logo, including the substrates inside the ECUs. This suggests the company maintains tight control over the development of almost all key technologies in the car.
    >
    From software to electric drive systems, Tesla is steadily bringing more development tasks in-house. If this strategy succeeds, competitors will have little choice but to follow suit, upending their old business models and supply chains as they try to overcome Tesla's head start.
    >
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 18 February 2020, 20:12.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

You should head on to r/wallstreetbets (if not for following their advice, for pure amusement).

My strategy is:
    rainy day reserve
    conservative long term investments

After I can play in meme stocks like TSLA with money I'm OK loosing.

Comment

My strategy too. TSLA is in the Growth stock/fund folder.
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I'm not sure it is such a fair comparison...
        1. Other manufacturers don't claim to offer the same level of autonomous driving, so there is no need for such advanced processing unit for self-driving.
        2. The price of the electric VW and other here in Europe is well below the cheapest Tesla: according to https://ev-database.org/ , the cheapest Tesla 3 (265 km range) starts at 43500 euro, whereas e.g. the cheapest VW ID (275 km range) starts at 30000 euro...
        (just my 2c )
        pixar
        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

It's also the integration of vehicle controls, infotainment, etc. into that box with one firmware that's remotely upgradeable - often weekly. A recent OTA upgrade caused a 5% power increase. Unlock battery reserves during natural disasters? Sure. Fine tune or do a remote brake recall repair? Been there, done that.

And this will move to cheaper, Tesla vehicles down the line.
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
          X