No announcement yet.

WTF :2019-nCoV NovaCoronaVirus Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detroit's deaths have dropped from 692 April 3 to 453 on April 7.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

• The Wuhan province in China has lifted their lockdown yesterday after 76 days.
      Titanium is the new bling!
      (you heard from me first!)

Comment

• The US trends are down, and R0 is at ~1.1

Estimates presented here are no longer updated as of 31 March 2022. For more information on the rationale behind this move and some reflections on 2 years of global nowcasting and forecasting, please read our related [blog post](https://epiforecasts.io/posts/2022-03-25-rt-reflections/).
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

• I wonder how many people went to churches to celebrate Easter. I would not be surprised by an uptick in infections to be noted in about two weeks time where that has happened.
          Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
          [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

• Originally posted by Umfriend View Post
            I wonder how many people went to churches to celebrate Easter. I would not be surprised by an uptick in infections to be noted in about two weeks time where that has happened.
            We midwesterners are a religious bunch, but during this local TV stations have been broadcasting major denominations services, and the rest have been streaming services including the Islamic Center of America - the largest mosque in the US in Dearborn (they're Shi'a, and the Imam is a Detroit Tigers fan & nice guy). Some still want to "go to church," so they park in the lot and the minister streams the audio from a portable pulpit outdoors.
            Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 13 April 2020, 01:33.
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

• Well, here there have been a few examples of Churches going ahead with their Easter Services.
              Also, someone has appeared next door with Kids , that haven't been here for the last 3 weeks of lockdown...
              Its her brother or cousin or something, with his kid/s (I haven't heard children there in 3 weeks).
              The thing is, she works at a creche, so if she catches anything, she will spread it to the kids she looks after, who are almost all children of essential workers, since the rest of us are in lockdown.
              If the kids spread it to their parents, thats a lot of essential workers that are taken out.
              There are selfish F**ktards everywhere, and they will be the death of us.

Seriously, its looking like idiocracy was a premonition rather than Fiction.

I'm going to check and see if they are still there tomorrow, and call up the Mayor. I have to talk to him about the old lady over the road anyway.
              PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
              Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
              +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

• I'd certainly be on the phone.

At nearby senior apartment buildings they're on Level 4 containment; staff doesn't interact with residents, no one admitted other than mail/package deliveries and visiting medical providers. Residents can leave to shop, go to the Dr., get gas etc.

"Unnecessary" businesses are closed including barbers & hair salons. Grocers, and most of the large markets are open - but only so many are admitted at a time.
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

• I'd certainly be on the phone.

William Beaumont is in Royal Oak MI, NW of Detroit. It and Henry Ford Hospital, both running regional health systems, are doing a crapload of federal studies.

Beaumont Health launches nation’s largest serological testing study for COVID-19 antibodies

Monday, April 13, 2020

New study aims to determine the total population with COVID-19 antibodies across a health system, identify potential convalescent plasma donors, better understand disease transmission and contribute to a scientifically-based methodology for returning people to work
                  >
                  Dr. Mordrid

Comment

• I saw him leave in what seemed to be her car at 17h30 this evening, and haven't heard the kid since.
                    it has got cold and windy though, so they may be inside.

Will check tomorrow, he may just have decided to move and stay for the next 4 weeks of lockdown (11 May is now the proposed 'unlock' date, if all goes well).

Will still mention it to the Mayor, but it will be a big giveaway if he pops round to see them, since we are the only neighbours to them.
                    He could say that some people saw them walking around the village, and going back to their house, having not noticed them in the area before...
                    I was outside having a smoke when they came back from their walk, but they didn't hear or see me, and the wind wasn't blowing in their direction.

On a good note, I've cut back to about 5 smokes a day, and just about every day wait until at least 8pm before the first.

Hoping to give up entirely next week sometime, after the one last pack is done.
                    Will have 3 weeks of lockdown to get over it.
                    Will post with a big smile when it is finally done with.
                    PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.

Comment

• None of us are smokers, and we rarely drink hard liquor. Maybe a beer or wine now and then. Mostly teetotalers.

This "lockdown" hasn't bothered us much except for my wife being a teacher and the schools are closed. Some annoyances like the barber & hair shops being closed, etc.
                      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

• Consequence of the Coronavirus in the USA :

The fastest crossing of the US by car has reportedly been broken by drivers who took advantage of regional lockdowns to break the so-called Cannonball record.

A team of three unnamed drivers made the cross-country trek in 26 hours and 38 minutes, according to previous record holders.

They drove a family-sized white 2019 Audi A8 L sedan at an average speed of over 100mph (160km/h) for nearly 3,000 miles.

The drive was made famous by the 1981 Burt Reynolds movie Cannonball Run. It goes from the Red Ball garage on East 31st St in New York City to The Portofino Hotel in Redondo Beach, California.
                        From the BBC Live Feed at 1.36am : https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-52266235

Comment

• Wiki about the Cannonball Baker Sea-To-Shining-Sea Memorial Trophy Dash

A remarkable effort was made by American racing legend Dan Gurney, winner of the 1967 24 hours of Le Mans. He won the second Cannonball in a Ferrari Daytona. Gurney said, "At no time did we exceed 175 mph [280 km/h]."
                          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 14 April 2020, 05:28.
                          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

• We're out of the worst it seems.
                            1220 infected with +8 cases today and +7 yesterday. Out of 56 dead 31 were 85 or older.

89% dead were older than 65. Reason for this is that virus had spread among elderly care homes early on so they had disproportionately high number of cases in older age groups.

Number of hospitalized is on the decline, number of people in intensive care stable and we were never above intensive care capacity. We have enough PPE, we also gave some to Italy last week and some to Macedonia a week before.

Government is considering opening hardware stores, car washes and some other businesses this week. Non-essential medical procedures can gradually resume.

There is a hypothesis that countries which vaccinated against tuberculosis are more resistant to covid. Dutch are performing a test TB vaccination on their health workers.

The bigger problem is number of unemployed is rising by 1000 per day. Dealing with economic fallout will be harder and will take longer.
                            Last edited by UtwigMU; 14 April 2020, 11:05.

Comment

• I had a TB jab in France, it was just a thing around 11 years old.
                              Both my older brothers had it at school in the UK, it was administered to everyone.
                              Mandatory.

If that was a thing, there would be alot less cases in the UK, which isn't the case.

Comment

• As I understand it, the TB-vaccine is somewhat effective against TB but for a long time and against other things for a short time as it stimulates the immune system while learning to cope with TB. Maybe wrong but that's how I read it.
                                Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                                [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Working...
                                X