No announcement yet.

WTF :2019-nCoV NovaCoronaVirus Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EU has done nothing except for stimulus package during this crisis. Russia, Cuba, Albania sent doctors to Italy. Germany has flown some patients to Germany. No EU response, no help, no materials. EU might not survive Corona.

Today all Italian mayors came out wearing Italian tricolore band giving a speech to commemorate victims.
    Last edited by UtwigMU; 31 March 2020, 08:32.

Comment

• Originally posted by UtwigMU View Post
      I filed and digitally signed online form with state issued security certificate (they also support facebook, google, sms), attached scan of rent contract. 3h later I get called that they need one more paper from landlord, which I can email directly to person responsible and after that my temporary residence will be changed.

How does this work in your countries?
      Residency is a shared State and Federal function. Both use the birth certificate, which is usually issued by the County or Parish (regional govt. between City & State).

State: drivers license, state ID (non-drivers, etc.), vehicle registration, voter registration, National Guard (militia, reserve military)

Federal: Passports, Social Security Administration (senior citizen or disability benefits, Medicare health insurance), active military.

Children via birth certificate for school registration. Utility bills, etc. can also be used for commercial proof of residency.

If your state hasn't moved services online (Michigan largely has) moving can be a pain in the ass.
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 31 March 2020, 14:14.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

• Masks and gloves became mandatory in shops, post offices and gas stations. If you don't have a mask, you can use cloth or scarf. I visited 3 nearby pharmacies and none of them have masks but I managed to buy some gloves. Despite that most people in shop had surgical or FFP95 mask.

The logic is that countries such as Korea, Singapore with mandatory masks have lower spread.

Comment

• I'm a woodworker so in the shop there are cases of soft masks, respirator masks & refills for spraying finishes, and innumerable face shield refills for when I'm using the saws, shaper, power planer or lathe.

Never thought I'd need them for this, and some of my N95 masks are going to the local trauma center.
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

• Mayor Duggan isn't just a hack politician; he's the former CEO of the Detroit Medical Center.

Detroit*— Henry Ford Health System is heading up the first large-scale study in the country to find out if a drug commonly used to treat lupus can prevent COVID-19.

Doctors from the Detroit-based health system joined Thursday with Mayor Mike Duggan to make the announcement on a clinical trial planned for hydroxychloroquine and put out a call to first responders to volunteer. Consideration of the study has been underway for about 10 days, officials said.

The five-hospital system is close to getting Food and Drug Administration approval and is going to start enrolling participants next week, officials said.

"In a matter of four to eight weeks, we will have a really good idea of whether this works," Duggan said. "We will be fighting coronavirus for months to come. We need tools to fight back."
            >
            Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 2 April 2020, 18:33.
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

• Every time I open my top cabinet door open in my workshop these past couple of weeks, what falls out? A P95 mask. I never thought I had one lying around, what an odd coincidence.
              Titanium is the new bling!
              (you heard from me first!)

Comment

• Here is report from google on mobility changes by country:
                Italy retail -88%, grocery -85%, parks -90%
                Slovenia retail -88%, grocery -92%, parks -43%
                USA -47 -22 -19
                UK -85 -46 -52
                France -88 -72 -82

See how your community moved differently due to COVID-19

Updates: Every trip now feels like during wartime. I went to work thinking what will I say if i get pulled over. At work I printed several papers to keep with me in the car. Also got some surgical masks and some washable masks.

Health system now has enough masks for couple of weeks. We've been flying some of them in with our only light military transport aircraft. Land transports can get confiscated by countries.

Some friends will get hit hard economically by this. Get in touch with friends and small businesses you frequented and ask if they need help.
                Last edited by UtwigMU; 3 April 2020, 14:41.

Comment

• So we typically have our groceries delivered home. Obviously, supermarkets providing that service are spread thin right now and I am amazed at how much they accomplish. Funny thing is, I now find myself doing groceries for a few others who have (very) good reasons to stay inside. So I isolated myself as much as possible and now expose myself for others, LOL.
                  Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                  [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

• Originally posted by Umfriend View Post
                    So we typically have our groceries delivered home. Obviously, supermarkets providing that service are spread thin right now and I am amazed at how much they accomplish. Funny thing is, I now find myself doing groceries for a few others who have (very) good reasons to stay inside. So I isolated myself as much as possible and now expose myself for others, LOL.
                    Yeah, me too.
                    Before going to the shops (as little as possible) I go and see the elderly neighbours and see if they need anything.
                    Usually its just fresh bread, but whatever they need i'll get.
                    I'd rather be the one going shopping, than letting them go out and catch something.
                    I'm overly careful, and I prefer it that way.

On another note, this lockdown has done good for my health, ironically.
                    I've lost weight (good loss) and cut down my smoking a LOT.
                    I'm trying to have a smoke as late as I can, and today, it was at 8pm.
                    Frankly didn't enjoy it. Hope to be a quitter in a week.
                    My alcohol intake has reduced a lot too.
                    Sleeping better than ever, lol.

Make the most of a bad situation.

I have had a call from my Boss, and i'm basically still employed, with almost full pay.
                    France has made it so no-one should lose their job, the state will take up the slack.
                    We'll pay for it in taxes, but that it what they should be used for, in this situation.

My Boss ays we're officially 'out of work' until end of April, even though the official Govt word is 15th April.
                    We all know thats going to be pushed back, maybe another month, or more.

They are saying there could be a 'progessive, tiered' opening of some areas, but Ile-de-France is one of the worst hit areas, and it won't be opened that soon.
                    Open up too soon, and it'll just come back with a second wave.

On yet another note, I had to stop my Dad (75) from climbing a flimsy ladder, and using a chainsaw to cut a few branches.
                    Not the time to be arse-ing around, and getting sent to hospital ER.
                    Going to have to find something else for him to do.
                    We would be working on the Passat, but I have an allmost full fuel tank to empty (2 year old + fuel), and we have nothing big enough to empty it in to.
                    Going to see if I can order something online...

Stay Safe everyone, its not over by a long shot.
                    PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
                    Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
                    +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

• Went grocery shopping Friday wearing a 3M HEPA respirator from my shop.

Mostly for fresh veggies etc. and to get some antihistamines for my f***ing allergies.

Governor shut down the schools for the year, issued a no unnecessary travel order, and the US Army Corps of Engineers is busy turning event centers & hotels into ICUs.

Henry Ford Hospital (the big one from RoboCop) is running a big trial on using hydrochloroquine to treat CoVid-19. Should get results in 6-8 weeks.

Ford Motor is converting a factory to build ventilators.
                      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 4 April 2020, 23:52.
                      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post

Ford Motor is converting a factory to build ventilators.
                        By the time this is operational, the peak has long passed. Perhaps good for bringing back production capability on your own soil. Same for any vaccines (although it won't hurt to vaccinate the 70+ cohorts).

It might be a good time to start investing into local production for pharmaceuticals and medical supplies in general. Being dependant on China is just insane...

Comment

• Originally posted by dZeus View Post
                          By the time this is operational, the peak has long passed. Perhaps good for bringing back production capability on your own soil. Same for any vaccines (although it won't hurt to vaccinate the 70+ cohorts).
                          >
                          Some researchers see signs of a short-lived immunity, so reinfection is possible. Best be prepared for round 2.

Meanwhile, the Henry Ford Hospital HCQ trials have begun. Should get some results in a few weeks.

Michigan should peak about April 12-15.

NYC is f***ed.
                          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
                            Some researchers see signs of a short-lived immunity, so reinfection is possible. Best be prepared for round 2.

Meanwhile, the Henry Ford Hospital HCQ trials have begun. Should get some results in a few weeks.

Michigan should peak about April 12-15.

NYC is f***ed.
                            Yeah, I'm unfortunately I'm getting word of reinfection as well.
                            Titanium is the new bling!
                            (you heard from me first!)

Comment

• Coming soon to a town near you COVID-20
                              paulw

Comment

• Elaborating,

Detroit's Henry Ford Hospital system had treated about 800 patients with HCQ in March with some success, so the new FDA trials are an outgrowth of that experience.

Now one of the William Beaumont hospitals has done less extensive tests, and in an editorial one of their docs reported promising results.
                                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                                X