No announcement yet.

WTF :2019-nCoV NovaCoronaVirus Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All but 6 border crossings with Italy are closed as of today. My bro is still in Slovenia as he has some work to finish but he will go to italy to be with his family there. I live walking distance to Italian border. Weird to see barricades on crossings that were open for 15 years and no Italian cars at gas stations.

Official number is at 57.

I'm cooking and eating at home, so this is importunity to learn new recipes.
    Last edited by UtwigMU; 11 March 2020, 13:23.

Comment

From a well respected friend and intensivist/A&E consultant who is currently in northern Italy:
      1/ ‘I feel the pressure to give you a quick personal update about what is happening in Italy, and also give some quick direct advice about what you should do.
      2/ First, Lumbardy is the most developed region in Italy and it has a extraordinary good healthcare, I have worked in Italy, UK and Aus and don’t make the mistake to think that what is happening is happening in a 3rd world country.
      3/ The current situation is difficult to imagine and numbers do not explain things at all. Our hospitals are overwhelmed by Covid-19, they are running 200% capacity
      4/ We’ve stopped all routine, all ORs have been converted to ITUs and they are now diverting or not treating all other emergencies like trauma or strokes. There are hundreds of pts with severe resp failure and many of them do not have access to anything above a reservoir mask.
      5/ Patients above 65 or younger with comorbidities are not even assessed by ITU, I am not saying not tubed, I’m saying not assessed and no ITU staff attends when they arrest. Staff are working as much as they can but they are starting to get sick and are emotionally overwhelmed.
      6/ My friends call me in tears because they see people dying in front of them and they con only offer some oxygen. Ortho and pathologists are being given a leaflet and sent to see patients on NIV. PLEASE STOP, READ THIS AGAIN AND THINK.
      7/ We have seen the same pattern in different areas a week apart, and there is no reason that in a few weeks it won’t be the same everywhere, this is the pattern:
      8/ 1)A few positive cases, first mild measures, people are told to avoid ED but still hang out in groups, everyone says not to panick
      2)Some moderate resp failures and a few severe ones that need tube, but regular access to ED is significantly reduced so everything looks great
      9/ 3)Tons of patients with moderate resp failure, that overtime deteriorate to saturate ICUs first, then NIVs, then CPAP hoods, then even O2.
      4)Staff gets sick so it gets difficult to cover for shifts, mortality spikes also from all other causes that can’t be treated properly.
      10/ Everything about how to treat them is online but the only things that will make a difference are: do not be afraid of massively strict measures to keep people safe,
      11/ if governments won’t do this at least keep your family safe, your loved ones with history of cancer or diabetes or any transplant will not be tubed if they need it even if they are young. By safe I mean YOU do not attend them and YOU decide who does and YOU teach them how to.
      12/ Another typical attitude is read and listen to people saying things like this and think “that’s bad dude” and then go out for dinner because you think you’ll be safe.
      13/ We have seen it, you won’t be if you don’t take it seriously. I really hope it won’t be as bad as here but prepare.
      These photos are of ORs being cleared in Bergamo on the 6 March to make more ICU beds. These spaces are all now filled with patients. In Brescia they have run out of ICU beds and are turning doctors rooms and store rooms into ICUs.
      Last edited by UtwigMU; 11 March 2020, 14:39.

Comment

POTUS addressed the nation, and is instituting a 30 day travel ban on Europe. UK is OK, for now, but the situation is fluid and could change.

Also some economic stimulus moves, getting insurance co-pays for CoVid-19 tests cancelled, financial assistance & tax deferments for small businesses and their employees.
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Closing the borders seems like a sensible thing to do... Not sure if not to limit it even more than just to Europeans, but OTOH at the moment that does seem the biggest problem area.

Here in Poland, schools will be closed for 2 weeks (including all lectures at universities and so).

Only just over 30 cases in Poland, but government/press is really informing people, there are border checks (taking temperatures of people) and in response people started panic-shopping. No scenes as in Australia, but large queues in the shops and noticably less people on the street. Also shorter traffic jams, but surprisingly still a lot of people on public transport (I would have expected the reverse: more people in cars, less on public transport).

I'm expecting we'll get permission (or will even be mandated) to work from home any time soon.
          pixar
          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

96 cases, we went from 1 to 96 in 9 days, we're 12th in cases/1M population. New goverment will be sworn in tomorrow and the right wing are much better to handle this. Best thing previous PM did in during his term was that he resigned.

Got VPN working on new corporate router so people can work remotely if needed (by my own initiative without asking management). Fortunately I upgraded router and brought in 100/100 line end of last year. I took initiative to have brief talks with coworkers on how they could work remotely (caddies would probably take workstations home, others could RDP or use apps on laptops), management still has head in arse and thinks everything will be hunky dory by summer.

Need to think of ways to earn extra cash.

I checked - I sent email to my parents warning them s#!t will get real (stock some extra food, avoid crowds) a month ago when there were only 900 cases outside China.
            Last edited by UtwigMU; 12 March 2020, 14:58.

Comment

We stockpile supplies, months worth. Food, necessities, meds, NG/propane generator (NG line + buried propane tank in the back yard), water storage, etc. Old habits from growing up on a farm.
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
                We stockpile supplies, months worth. Food, necessities, meds, NG/propane generator (NG line + buried propane tank in the back yard), water storage, etc. Old habits from growing up on a farm.
                signal-2020-03-12-185351.jpg
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

People who are holes up for 2-3 weeks are still going to use the potty

Michigan cases jump to 12, almost all with a recent travel history.

Positives confirmed in state labs, but private labs also activated.

K-12 schools closed until April 6

Governor asking businesses to support parents who need to stay with kids.
                  Dr. Mordrid

Comment

MI's governor barrs events with over 250 people.

Trump to invoke the Stafford Act, a national emergency. Among other things, it eases emergency funding to the states.
                    Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Massive columns of trucks, wait time 15h at the border because Croatia closed borders for all trucks from Italy , so they are stuck on Slovenian side. Also Romanians stranded because the Croatia doesn't let them pass through (they are returning from Italy to Romania). Anyone entering Croatia is required to take 14 days quarantine and foreigners need to pay 500 EUR for it, also some Japanese stranded here as they don't want to go/pay for Croatian quarantine. Hungary also closed borders. Austria is planning it

141 cases, new government sworn in and went straight to work. People did panic shopping today, half of canned goods were missing from shelves, no potatoes, carrots or onions. (I have reserves already only buy day to day stuff twice a week.)

Talked to some woman who works in shoe company, she said they have some supplies from Italy but no supplies coming in. Once supply shock comes down the chains, the economic impact of this will be massive.
                      Last edited by UtwigMU; 13 March 2020, 16:52.

Comment

Italians singing on balconies during total lockdown (only groceries and pharmacies open with limit how many can enter).

Comment

Poland closed borders for foreigners. This in practice means that if anything happens to my parents or other familiy, I have problems visiting them, as I won't be allowed to return to Poland.

EDIT: apparently, I would be allowed back in based on some documents I have. But I would have to go in a 2 week quarantaine just like Polish returning.

Similar shop lockdown here....
                          Last edited by VJ; 14 March 2020, 10:51.
                          pixar
                          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Well, we're all going to end up in some sort of lockdown, be it voluntary, or forced.

We're stocked up OK here, made sure my parents got a couple of months of Meds when they got back fom the US thursday last week.

The closing of Bars and stuff at midnight last night was a bit of a shock to some, as it was only announced at 7pm yesterday.

I'm still waiting for a reply from my bosses on whether I go to work tomorrow or not.
                            Technically, I can do a large part of my job from home, but contractually, I can't.

Having been off for the last two weeks also means my Work laptop is on my desk, even though I could probably do without it.

If I get no reply, i'll just have to get the train tomorrow morning as usual...not sure where i'm going to be able to get lunch, if everywhere is closed...

Most of Europe is now closing down all non-essential commercial businesses.
                            It looks like it will be for at least 7-30 days. I'm seeing until 15th April here and there.

UK is saying old folks may have to self-quarantine for up to 4 months..yikes.

Good Luck, and Good Health everyone.
                            PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
                            Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
                            +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

In MI home schooling is a big thing, and legal, so long ago the State started offering online education as an official option. Seems that decision was a really good one.
                              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Do you guys have any cooking ideas for stuff that can be warmed and eaten for like 2 days. I'm precooking tomorrow's lunch.

Made goluash last week and though i lacked bayleaves and garlic it was about on the average restaurant level.

Evildead:
                                Depends how long this closure will last. Everyone is saying April but I think April won't be the end of this.

One bottleneck is health system, countries lack ventilators, so they want to slow spread while they beef up the health systems, get extra capacity and stock on masks and gear.
                                Last edited by UtwigMU; 15 March 2020, 16:47.

Comment

Working...
                                X