No announcement yet.

WTF :2019-nCoV NovaCoronaVirus Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I the only one who remembers that initially the hope was that vaccinated people would not get seriously ill? I am sure there are sterilizing vaccines out there but I couldn't acually name one.
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

• No, the idea is that vaccinated people "cannot catch or spread" Covid, so they can go in restaurants, theatres, airports, soccer matches without the need for 48h or newer test.

Iceland is 80% vaxed and they have more cases than in October 2020, less deaths though.
      Iceland Coronavirus update with statistics and graphs: total and new cases, deaths per day, mortality and recovery rates, current active cases, recoveries, trends and timeline.

Israel is 80% vaxed, they have same amount of cases as close to peak in January 2021.
      Israel Coronavirus update with statistics and graphs: total and new cases, deaths per day, mortality and recovery rates, current active cases, recoveries, trends and timeline.

Large percentage to majority of hospitalized are vaccinated.
      Reports coming out of Israel claim hospitals are being filled with vaccinated people, 95 percent of whom are suffering serious illness being fully vaccinated.
      Last edited by UtwigMU; 18 August 2021, 10:18.

Comment

• Yeah well, I think the idea was that R for vaccinated people would simply be low enough. With a variant that is 3 times as infectious, that remains to be seen. No spreading at all is less likely if you don't get ill before becoming infectious I would think (as the immune system is no yet fully activated then?). Sure, that seems to work for many other illnesses (measles, smallpox etc) but there people tend to not become infectious so soon after exposure. I fear we'll just have to live with it and I expect any restrictions will be lifted eventually for vaccinated people.
        Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
        [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

• Good article in The Washington Post about how NIH director Collins and Fauci undercut the rules restricting gain of function research (which led to Fauci's group funding it at the Wuhan lab.)

A science in the shadows
          >
          >
          The Post identified at least 18 projects that won funding from 2012 to 2020 that appeared to include gain-of-function experiments. Reporters examined research summaries in the database, along with articles published in scientific journals, and conducted interviews with experts.

Funding from NIH for the 18 projects totaled about $48.8 million and unfolded at 13 institutions. Eight were approved after the review committee’s power was weakened in 2017.

From 2017 to 2020, no more than “three or four” projects were forwarded to the review committee, said Robert Kadlec, who oversaw the panel and served as the Trump administration’s assistant HHS secretary for preparedness and response.

“They were grading their own homework,” Kadlec said.

Kadlec, a physician who earlier had held biodefense roles with the Pentagon, the White House and the Senate, said that the high-risk research has not been adequately vetted.
          >
          “If you’re going to ask society to take on a higher-than-normal level of risk, then I think there’s got to be more openness,” said Michael J. Imperiale, a University of Michigan virologist who served from 2005 to 2012 on the biosecurity board and who now is editor in chief of mBio, a journal of the American Society for Microbiology.

Skeptics of gain-of-function research question whether it is worth the risk.
          >
          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 26 August 2021, 18:32.
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

• I'm wondering why doesn't this ring any bells:
            Fact: virus is man-made in Wuhan lab
            Fact: virus was leaked, occham's razor points to incompetence rather than malice

Now remember what happened to Saddam because of his nonexistent WMDs or when some Russian officials get sanctioned for building a gas pipeline. Covid affected far greater number of people than any other disaster in past 30 years yet there is no outcry, sanctions

Comment

• I've been critical of Fauci because of his muddled, often contradictory, messaging. This alone has caused some vaccine resistance, then the other stuff broke...
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

• Originally posted by UtwigMU View Post
                Fact: virus is man-made in Wuhan lab
                Fact: virus was leaked, occham's razor points to incompetence rather than malice
                These are "facts"?

Comment

• Look up covid patient zero.

Comment

• OK, first hit: https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202108/1232649.shtml Not sure how that helps.

Comment

• Originally posted by Umfriend View Post
                      OK, first hit: https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202108/1232649.shtml Not sure how that helps.
                      Global Times is published by the ChiCom's party propaganda rag, The People's Daily.
                      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

• I realized that. Just saying that looking up stuff nowadays gets you to all kinds of nonsense. I'm sure there is decent info out there, I just wonder where.

Comment

• This won't help vaccination rates ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

CDC study estimates over 80% of Americans are protected from COVID-19

About 83 percent of the U.S. population ages 16 and up has some degree of immunity to the coronavirus from vaccination or prior infection, a new Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) study estimates.

Based on antibody levels in about 1.4 million patients' blood samples, CDC researchers estimated that 20 percent of Americans have immunity from prior infection - though the number varies by age and other demographics. The other 60 per cent have received a shot which confers similar immunity.

Experts previously cited 70 to 80 percent protection as a goal for herd immunity, but now many say we need more vaccinations and boosters to protect against the super-contagious Indian 'Delta' variant.

Still, the study indicates that the U.S. has had a lot more Covid cases than those that have been officially reported - possibly more than double the official count.
                          >
                          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

• We have 43% vaccinated and 13% officially infected, more likely 25% based on 4000 deaths. So around half or more people have some kind of immunity but compared to this time last year we have more infections.

Now government made it mandatory to have test/recovered/vaccinated to dine outside.

Comment

• Here the states which had low vaccination rates are picking up steam, now mostly among the top tier. Likely a combination of Delta, Pfizer-BioNTech's full FDA approval, and Moderna's pending full approval. Approval status; emergency release vs full approval, has been one of the major factors in vaccine resistance.
                              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

• In the Netherlands, about 75% [of all 12yo and older] have been fully vaccinated but the 12-18yo subsection at 34% is still rising (they were last in line and many are still waiting for the 2nd shot). Unfortunately, positive tests and hospitalizations have been stable for over a month now (instead of declining). I fear we're going to have a terrible winter.

Comment

Working...
                                X