No announcement yet.

WTF :2019-nCoV NovaCoronaVirus Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michigan's daily death counts are now less than half of April's, and we're starting to open up. Restaurants & bars open with reduced seating, loosening Stay at Home, kiddie pools & day camps open, retail can reopen with appropriate separation & masks, jobs which cannot be done remotely can reopen with spacing & masks, and most gatherings of up to 100 are good with separation & masks (weddings, graduations etc.).

But...Gov Whitmer's still stuck on stupid WRT placing convalescing CoVid-19 patients in adult care facilities. I guess NY State losing ~5,000 from this stupid policy before reversing it wasn't enough to get through her thick skull.

How many has MI lost from this policy? Dunno, Whitmer won't release the statistics. The state should have released & sent the numbers to the Feds last week.
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 1 June 2020, 18:04.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

• There are quite a bit of graphs but unfortunately I can't find data in Excel/csv or somesuch format... In the Netherlands we had over 100 deaths per day since March 30th until April 19th (and April 21st through 23rd). Since May 7th we've had less than 50 a day, hovering around 20 and still declining since May 13th. We're loosening up as well. Retail was never actually closed, restaurants and bars are open since yesterday. It's mostly work at home if you can, keep 1.5mtr distance and use masks (almost any) where 1.5mtr isn't feasible as advice and mandatory in all public transport which now runs at 40% capacity (but occupancy is far less I think).

We're also seeing a lower total death rate than normal, similar to the latest harder flu season. Of the tests performed, the positive rate is declining from 25% to below 5%. Since June 1st, it is easier to get tested (there are hardly any restrictions anymore and I hope our capacity of about, I think, 30K tests a day is sufficient) and I expect the test-rate to decline further.

We had a George Floyd / anti-racism protest yesterday. A few hundred were expected, turnout was in the thousand, social distancing impossible. I wonder what we'll see in three weeks time. Many were wearing face-masks of some kind so who knows, perhaps it turns out not to bad.

Edit: Although most victims of Covid-19 are elderly (97% older than 60), about 31% of IC-patients were/are younger than 60.
      Last edited by Umfriend; 1 June 2020, 23:12.
      Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
      [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

• Detroit is seeing both far right (neo-nazis) and far left (ANTIFA, etc.) outside agitators hijack the legit protests to do random violence.

These agitators not only brought boxes of bricks but uprooted railroad spikes, which they threw at cops in an attempt to provoke them. Also M80 fireworks, which are quite powerful.

Detroit's Chief James Craig, who is widely respected throughout the region, and Mayor Mike Duggan have frequent contact with the legit local activists and have a long-term good relationship with them. They and the County Prosecutor will knock cop heads if necessary, but these outsider terrorist-wannabe's are in for a real shock if they push it.

ANTIFA is really cruising for a bruising, having been called out as a domestic terror group under Obama and now being looked at for addition to the Homeland Security terrorist group list.

Mayor Duggan & Chief Craig
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

• We only have peaceful for now weekly leftist protests against government. (government ended most all restrictions, so the only reason to protest is center-right in power).

Comment

• Governor Whitmer is opening up the state, under pressure from the US Department of Justice

Seems BOTH of the US Attorneys assigned to Michigan, and the DoJ Civil Rights Division, intervened in a lawsuit against Whitmer by retailers & businesses claiming they "identified what appear to be arbitrary distinctions among business and activities in the state of Michigan that lack a rational basis."

Oops.

Then there's her policy of putting CoVid-19 positive patients into nursing homes with those negatives most likely to die from it.

PROFOUNDLY STUPID

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 3 June 2020, 02:37.
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

• Are you in Michigan strapped like in Idaho?

Comment

• Strapped as in short of money?

It's blown a ~$3 billion hole in our budget, which by state law must be balanced.

Result: govt employee layoffs, reduced state school funding (most school funding comes from city & county property taxes), etc.

Schools closed early for this school year anyhow, so kids have been home schooling using the state K-12 online academy. Universities have also moved online, mostly on Zoom and other group platforms.
                Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 5 June 2020, 02:15.
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

• ARs strapped to the chest.

Slovenia's (2M) Corona relief budget is around 5 billion €.
                  Last edited by UtwigMU; 5 June 2020, 05:39.

Comment

• Originally posted by UtwigMU View Post
                    >
                    ARs strapped to the chest.
                    >
                    We don't play games here either, so the (very proper IMHO) protests in this small city (50k) were very peaceful.

Michigan is an Open Carry state; carry what you got. Pistol on the hip + long arm in your hands? Go for it. An ankle backup holster? Sure. Do you see hot chicks in McDonalds with a pistol in a waistband holster? Yup.

We are also Stand Your Ground, and have a Fleeing Felon Rule (if you're doing a citizen's felony arrest and they run, shoot 'em). Come upon a sexual assault? Shoot 'em..
                    Dr. Mordrid

Comment

• Heard this joke on factory floor today:
                      Corona screwed me over.
                      - How so?
                      I can't go to Maldives this year. Until this year I couldn't go because of money, now I can't go because of corona.

Comment

• Lol!
                        Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

• Here in New Zealand there are no known cases of Coronavirus and life has returned to normal as of midnite except there's no international travel yet. The cost of this is that the economy is trashed with thousands loosing their jobs. I suspect here and around the world lots of companies are using this as an excuse to restructure and get rid of jobs. We had 22 so called deaths but because there was no cancer testing done during the lock down there could be an additional 400 cancer related deaths. Social distancing (AKA Social engineering) has ended and all sports have returned to normal.
                          paulw

Comment

• Here in Poland, life is returning to normal, but still with some restrictions, social distancing and contact tracing. However, the number of cases is still growing at the same steady rate. The reopening of shops and restaurants is thus rather economically driven than epidemiologically driven as nothing really has changed. So we'll have to see how that plays out.

In Belgium, the number of cases are dropping and the country is slowly reopening, taking into account the drop in cases before easing further.

Either way: our wedding is partly postponed as international travel from Belgium to Poland is far from certain so impossible to plan. We'll have the ceremony this year (without my family present) and then the wedding party next year... We have decided to self-isolate, as to minimize the chances that we would be put in quarantine due to contact tracing (be somewhere where a confirmed infected person was): it would be a shame if we would be in official quarantine on the wedding day.
                            pixar
                            Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

• So in the Netherlands, we never really had a lockdown and many restrictions have been lifted (restaurants/bars are open subject to 1.5mtrs, ourtdoor sports (1.5mtr), gyms open 1st of July). We started opening up on May 11th with further steps on 1st of June, 1st of July and 1st of September. So far, no increase in infections has been observer. As testing has become widely available since June 1st, the positive-rate(?) dropped to 2.1%, furthering the decline since early April (but at that time, testing was heavily biased towards likely suspects).
                              Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                              [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
                                We don't play games here either, so the (very proper IMHO) protests in this small city (50k) were very peaceful.

Michigan is an Open Carry state; carry what you got. Pistol on the hip + long arm in your hands? Go for it. An ankle backup holster? Sure. Do you see hot chicks in McDonalds with a pistol in a waistband holster? Yup.

We are also Stand Your Ground, and have a Fleeing Felon Rule (if you're doing a citizen's felony arrest and they run, shoot 'em). Come upon a sexual assault? Shoot 'em..
                                What about traditional Okinawa weapons? Can you carry those around?
                                Titanium is the new bling!
                                (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Working...
                                X