No announcement yet.

WTF :2019-nCoV NovaCoronaVirus Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm pretty sure that's what they were hoping.
    Its a really convoluted way of trying to fight it though, and has very little chance of doing anything apart from weaken the recipient for a short while, and innoculating against TB.
    PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
    Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
    +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

• On another note, the neighbours are back with kids this weekend, and a friend who is helping do some work digging by their front gate.

My Parents didn't want me to call the Mayoir last weekend, and the French media seem to have info that the Govt doesn't want to be overloaded with people grassing up neighbours etc...

They are both trying to either stay indoors (its really sunny) or keep away from that side of the garden, because they are just the other side of the hedge.
      PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.

Comment

• Car repair shops, hardware stores open this week also golf, tennis and boules are allowed. Commuting buses organized by businesses are allowed again. Hopefully gun ranges will open soon. Gardening/seed/farming stores have been open since 2nd week of lock down as some store owner tweeted to government and they listened to her.

In 2 weeks hair dressers and shops up to 400m2 (4300 square feet) not in malls can open provided they limit number of people in store and people wear masks, sanitize hands or use gloves.

We're still limited to our communes (median 70km2, 5k people) except for work, doctor, pharmacy, tending to elderly relatives or tending to property provided you have proof with you.

Atmosphere is more positive, more cars on the roads, kids are now playing outside again and people are cycling and talking walks.

Situation in Italy is also improving, cases on decline, news about restarting economy.
        Last edited by UtwigMU; 20 April 2020, 14:12.

Comment

• This explains a lot

C.D.C. Labs Were Contaminated, Delaying Coronavirus Testing, Officials Say

Fallout from the agency’s failed rollout of national coronavirus kits two months ago continues to haunt U.S. efforts to combat the spread of the highly infectious virus.

Sloppy laboratory practices at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention caused contamination that rendered the nation’s first coronavirus tests ineffective, federal officials confirmed on Saturday.

Two of the three C.D.C. laboratories in Atlanta that created the coronavirus test kits violated their own manufacturing standards, resulting in the agency sending tests that did not work to nearly all of the 100 state and local public health labs, according to the Food and Drug Administration.

Early on, the F.D.A., which oversees laboratory tests, sent Dr. Timothy Stenzel, chief of in vitro diagnostics and radiological health, to the C.D.C. labs to assess the problem, several officials said. He found an astonishing lack of expertise in commercial manufacturing and learned that nobody was in charge of the entire process, they said.
          >
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

• So tonight we'll have our PM doing the bi-weekly presser on what we'll do next, in this case after April 28th. It is uncertain whether bars&restaurants etc may open up and under what conditions. However, some are preparing to open up while keeping the 1.5m distance rule and an example of a testrun can be seen here: https://www.instagram.com/p/B_CfMZjB19o.
            Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
            [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

• Originally posted by Umfriend View Post
              So tonight we'll have our PM doing the bi-weekly presser on what we'll do next, in this case after April 28th. It is uncertain whether bars&restaurants etc may open up and under what conditions. However, some are preparing to open up while keeping the 1.5m distance rule and an example of a testrun can be seen here: https://www.instagram.com/p/B_CfMZjB19o.
              Saw that one

Comment

• I think i'll just carry a stick or piece of metal tubing around with me when i go back to work.
                Anyone comes too close without a facemask, and he'll get one warning, and then lamped.

Once it opens back up, you literally can't trust anyone.

They are talking of voluntarily limiting the underground and rail lines to force people to use other methods of transportation.
                They want people to use bicycles, but for someone like me who would have to commute nearly 40km's, that isn't an option, and we can't all take our bikes on the train into town, there is no space to put them.

So everyone is going to take their car, because the trains are too full, or because they are afraid of catching something on public transport, or both.
                Then people will complain about the sudden increase in pollution, and the traffic jams.

I'm hoping that when I go back to work, they'll find me something a lot closer to home.
                Wishful thinking though...

Comment

• Originally posted by Evildead666 View Post
                  I think i'll just carry a stick or piece of metal tubing around with me when i go back to work.
                  Anyone comes too close without a facemask, and he'll get one warning, and then lamped.
                  I had same thoughts about enforcing quarantine with violence if neccessary but then I paused and calmed myself down.

Other people are not at fault this sh!t happened and they are afraid just like us. Besides in work places there is almost no spread here and epidemics is getting under control. In place where I work there were 6 cases a month ago and 0 new cases since then.

So find some activity that calms you down and focus your bad energy on improving your situation. When anger at other people comes try to drop the thought.

I hope I don't sound patronizing but it's better not to do something stupid that will have consequences on your life while corona virus will be gone in some months.

Some people will snap but don't be the one who snaps first.

Comment

• Originally posted by UtwigMU View Post
                    I had same thoughts about enforcing quarantine with violence if neccessary but then I paused and calmed myself down.

Other people are not at fault this sh!t happened and they are afraid just like us. Besides in work places there is almost no spread here and epidemics is getting under control. In place where I work there were 6 cases a month ago and 0 new cases since then.

So find some activity that calms you down and focus your bad energy on improving your situation. When anger at other people comes try to drop the thought.

I hope I don't sound patronizing but it's better not to do something stupid that will have consequences on your life while corona virus will be gone in some months.

I'd rather catch the virus and be (temporarily?) immune rather than fear everyone and anyone. CFR is very low for those aged <50
                    In fact, I and my family may have already had it. We all had flu-like symptoms in the beginning of March, which lasted for 2-3 weeks.

Comment

• Originally posted by dZeus View Post
                      I'd rather catch the virus and be (temporarily?) immune rather than fear everyone and anyone. CFR is very low for those aged <50
                      In fact, I and my family may have already had it. We all had flu-like symptoms in the beginning of March, which lasted for 2-3 weeks.
                      Makes sense to me but, to the extent possible, you might want to time it so that you don't need IC when they are overloaded.

Any chance you can get a serology test?
                      Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                      [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Makes sense to me but, to the extent possible, you might want to time it so that you don't need IC when they are overloaded.

Any chance you can get a serology test?
                        Not sure if there are reliable mass-produced antibody tests yet.
                        The one recently used in the Netherlands had a 10% false positive rate, which is good enough for detecting the progress towards herd immunity, but not reliable enough for results on an individual basis.

The latest statistics provided by the WHO is that the average age of Covid deaths is 84 years.
                        The more time progresses, the more this virus seems to be similar to a very bad flu. I am not convinced at all that it warrants the type and level of response we've seen so far.

Confinement of elderly and otherwise vulnerable seems like a good idea, but shutting down schools and work for <50 y.o. might be unwarranted. Sweden doesn't seem to be doing worse than some other countries with much stricter confinement measures.
                        More cynically, despite all the confinement measures, death rate in nursing homes for the elderly are sky high, because they lack the protocols to deal with communicable disease with relatively high mortality rate, as well as supplies (isn't it great that so much is made in China nowadays? Hopefully a last hurrah for globally centralized production).

And as usual, the media seem to thrive on blowing everything out of proportion as click-bait (and the pre-internet equivalent), and this feeds all the neurotic types.
                        Last edited by dZeus; 23 April 2020, 12:15.

Comment

• Originally posted by UtwigMU View Post

Oh, I wouldn't actually harm anyone, it was more of a joke.
                          Should have put a smiley.

I don't have to, i'm big enough, and can look at someone and they'll know just to stay back.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evildead666 View Post
                            >
                            I don't have to, i'm big enough, and can look at someone and they'll know just to stay back.
                            Same here; 6' 2" (1.88m) and a pretty solid 240 lbs (109 kg). Former defensive tackle (US/Canadian football). Even at 71 years all it takes is the evil eye.
                            Dr. Mordrid
                            ----------------------------
                            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

• Originally posted by dZeus View Post
                              The latest statistics...[...]...feeds all the neurotic types.
                              That raises a lot of questions. What does "similar to a bad flu" mean? Are we talking about fatal outcomes, number of IC patients, lenght of IC-occupation? I know you are in France and wonder whether your statements are only meant for France. I am more Dutch-centric of course.

It is a bit frustrating how badly defined statistics relating to Covid are all over the world. But still. https://www.stichting-nice.nl/ The first graph shows the daily admissions to IC for proven and suspected (they are distinguished) Covid. We started with measures on March 6th (and that was as much as the request in a part of the Netherlands to stay home in case of cold, coughing or fever). I wonder what we should have done less?

Sweden does have a far higher death-rate per 1mm compared to Finland and other Scandinavian countries. It is a sparsely populated country. School is outdoors much more than average. One Swede that was interviewed basically said that Swedes tend to keep social distance anyway. Even if they are doing well, that does not mean it would be sensible worldwide.

And I can not support this but the way I see it, it is not that protective supplies were mostly made in China. The real issue is that global demand outstrips global supply and stocks were, in hindsight, low. With an upward shock in demand like that, it simply takes time to reallocate resources, regardless of where production occured to date.

I am wondering about the media/click-bait statement. Now I do not consume a lot of media. There is a Dutch newspaper and the national news. Other than that I read WaPo, USA Today and Breitbart. The only medium that blows [out of proportion] is Breitbart IMO. So I am wondering, could you give some examples of MSM that thrive of blowing?

Comment

That raises a lot of questions. What does "similar to a bad flu" mean? Are we talking about fatal outcomes, number of IC patients, lenght of IC-occupation? I know you are in France and wonder whether your statements are only meant for France. I am more Dutch-centric of course.

It is a bit frustrating how badly defined statistics relating to Covid are all over the world. But still. https://www.stichting-nice.nl/ The first graph shows the daily admissions to IC for proven and suspected (they are distinguished) Covid. We started with measures on March 6th (and that was as much as the request in a part of the Netherlands to stay home in case of cold, coughing or fever). I wonder what we should have done less?

Sweden does have a far higher death-rate per 1mm compared to Finland and other Scandinavian countries. It is a sparsely populated country. School is outdoors much more than average. One Swede that was interviewed basically said that Swedes tend to keep social distance anyway. Even if they are doing well, that does not mean it would be sensible worldwide.

And I can not support this but the way I see it, it is not that protective supplies were mostly made in China. The real issue is that global demand outstrips global supply and stocks were, in hindsight, low. With an upward shock in demand like that, it simply takes time to reallocate resources, regardless of where production occured to date.

I am wondering about the media/click-bait statement. Now I do not consume a lot of media. There is a Dutch newspaper and the national news. Other than that I read WaPo, USA Today and Breitbart. The only medium that blows [out of proportion] is Breitbart IMO. So I am wondering, could you give some examples of MSM that thrive of blowing?
                                - CFR <50 is very low. We might have been able to weather the outbreak by merely confining the >50 cohort of population. This would have reduced the need for a lot of ICU capacity
                                - just in time supply chain, which is another problem as it greatly reduces the stability of any system depending on it. Perhaps we should move to a system.with mandatory levels of minimum stocks for food, fuel and medical supplies.
                                - centralized production created a huge issue when china's production was fully stopped. Surely you haven't forgotten the whole month of February? Decentralized production (ir having a regional production capacity of essential goods) reduces that risk by a large amount.
                                - did one day pass without 80% of media contents being about covid19? That's what I call blowing this thing out of proportion. It's as if all other news disappeared from the radar.
                                Last edited by dZeus; 24 April 2020, 07:10.

Comment

Working...
                                X