No announcement yet.

WTF :2019-nCoV NovaCoronaVirus Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100%+ vaccinated Gibraltar cancels Christmas celebrations due to rise in Covid cases.

Why are highly vaccinated countries experiencing COVID outbreaks? Dr. Bridle explains.
    https://druthers.net | Why are highly vaccinated countries experiencing COVID outbreaks? Dr. Bridle explains.

Very good explanation and what we should be looking at to understand reasons for spikes by Canadian virologist

US Fauci admits that "you need boosters" for vaccine to work.

About half year before he claimed they were 95% effective.
    Last edited by UtwigMU; 15 November 2021, 21:57.

Comment

• https://apnews.com/article/coronavir...s%20population.

Pfizer agrees to let other companies make its COVID-19 pill

LONDON (AP) — Drugmaker Pfizer Inc. has signed a deal with a U.N.-backed group to allow other manufacturers to make its experimental COVID-19 pill, a move that could make the treatment available to more than half of the world’s population.

In a statement issued Tuesday, Pfizer said it would grant a license for the antiviral pill to the Geneva-based Medicines Patent Pool, which would let generic drug companies produce the pill for use in 95 countries, making up about 53% of the world’s population.

The deal excludes some large countries that have suffered devastating coronavirus outbreaks. For example, while a Brazilian drug company could get a license to make the pill for export to other countries, the medicine could not be made generically for use in Brazil.

Still, health officials said the fact that the deal was struck even before Pfizer’s pill has been authorized anywhere, could help to end the pandemic quicker.
      >
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

• Austria to mandate vaccines from February 1st.

Comment

• Both my parents tested positive...
          We were scheduled to fly there from Berlin (following a project meeting in Potsdam), but my father was sick (had a negative covid selftest) and my mother suggested we should cancel our visit. We would only be there for a few days, decided to play it safe in both directions: us not bringing other virusses in (trains, airport, plane), him not infecting us (could block or return flight) and we booked a train back to Warsaw, foregoing the plane tickets.
          A few days later, my father got worse again (up to 39.9°C), and now he tested positive. The fever went down, so he was not taken to hospital. Now he seems to be better, but very tired and weak; he is sleeping the whole day. My mother is functioning, but also not feeling 100%. She lost sense of smell and taste... As both of them tested positive, they are now in quarantine. We are hoping my father will not have to go to hospital as hospitals in Belgium are already not managing. My brother can make arrangements for oxygen delivery at home (within 24 hours), should it come to that. But for now there is no need for that yet, but good to know we have that option... They were scheduled for their third dosages, as both of them are considered risk patients due to cardiac problems. They have no idea how/where they caught it: they are very careful, wear masks, disinfect, avoid groups of people

So I'm quite worried, we have daily phonecalls and I'm already certain of going in December once their quarantine ends and they are better (or also if they get worse). It would be by car, to have less issues with travel restrictions.

In general, the numbers in Belgium are quite bad, both in number of cases and number of hospitalizations. Current predictions are that more ICU beds could be needed at the worst point before. As 88% are vaccinated, it makes people quickly jump to the conclusions that the vaccines don't help, and the willingness to be careful seems to be decreasing.
          pixar
          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

• Hang in there VJ, last year this time my father was infected, similar to yours: weak, fever. We called him every day and delivered food, D3 vitamins, got him oxygenation monitor. Fortunately after two weeks everything was OK and he didn't need to go to hospital and he has since had no problems.

Comment

• Yeah, hang in there. My mother, then 76yo, had it December last year. Just fever for two days, then recovered nicely (she has more energy than I do). Does not want to get a jab though .

Numbers in NL are terrible. Government is just to intent on relaxing measures so we open up quickly when they think it should be safe, instead of doing it slowly and see what happens, and impose limitations slowly and to late and then are surprised and disappointed when meager limitation hardly have any effect. Happened in June and now starting in October or somesuch. The real issue is that it does not inspire confidence and that is fodder for the covid-sceptics.
              Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
              [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

• Thanks guys. It looks like my father has passed the worst. On two occasions he had very high fever, also stomach problems, etc. Now he is just extremely tired and weak, and occasionally has mild fever. Looks like a long recovery ahead. My mother is not so sick, but has annoying symptoms: loss of sense of smell and taste, concentration issues and also weak (but she is functioning).

In Belgium it is the same as in NL, if not worse... However, over 90% in covid-ICU are non-vaccinated people (mainly young people!); considering that around 88% are vaccinated, it is seems clear that vaccination lowers your chance of ending up in ICU. Hospitals are getting angry that they cannot treat other patients who are vaccinated and have other problems - especially orthopedic departments are complaining. They are the first to be shut down, as it is often not life-threatening, but they have to postpone surgery on patients who are suffering and have been looking forward to the surgery for months...
                pixar

Comment

• Oh, we are postponing live-saving operations already in a number of hospitals like bypass, cancer etc.

The number of vaccinated people ending up in the ICU is increasing, mainly the elderly though so vaccinated-ICU patients tend to be people for whom the vaccine has a somewhat lower efficacy (as aged people have a higher chance of the vaccine being less effective) and received the vaccination earlier (efficacy appears to drop slowly). So not only are non-vaccinated people over-represented in hospitalization and ICU admissions, the average age of non-vaccinated people is somewhat lower then for vaccinated people (median difference of 7 years). But I am not sure whether that is in part caused by the vaccination rate among the elderly being higher (our CDC believes it is).
                  Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                  [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

• This is hitting too close to home... Yesterday the 6-year old daughter of my best friend in Belgium was admitted to the hospital with Covid. They were in quarantine since a few days after an infection in the school, and my friend tested positive a few days ago (which extended their quarantine). Yesterday his daughter got worse and was admitted. She potentially has heart problems (one cardiac department claimed she needs surgery; a different cardiac department claims the first one based this on a wrongly interpreted diagnostics caused by her having a rotated orientation of the heart), but those diagnoses came just before the pandemic and further investigations were postponed because of it. So I'm really worried... In that age group, hospitalizations are rare...

edit: she is back home, to recover further there...
                    Last edited by VJ; 21 November 2021, 08:19.
                    pixar

Comment

• My father was taken to hospital with very high fever. The doctor suspects a secondary infection...
                      pixar

Comment

• Oh my, VJ, good luck to your father.

Comment

• Originally posted by VJ View Post
                          My father was taken to hospital with very high fever. The doctor suspects a secondary infection...
                          Best wishes from our crew as well
                          Dr. Mordrid
                          ----------------------------
                          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

• Best wishes from me.

Comment

• Wish them both speedy recovery
                              Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP
                              ***Matrox G400DH 32MB still chugging along happily in my other pc***

Comment

• Quick update: he tested negative for covid in the emergency room, and was not taken to the covid-department. The doctors say that a high fever-spike often happens near the end of a covid infection.
                                He looks fine, and the doctor would be willing to discharge him, were it not for a very high cpr value, indicating some serious infection. He is now getting treatment for that (high dosage antibiotics + cortisone), while they are running tests to figure out where the infection is (he has no pain, but if they locate the infection they can provide a more targetted treatment). But it is very likely that it will pass with the medication without them ever finding the cause. Prognosis is that he may be discharged on Friday or Monday (more guessing Monday as my mother in quarantine till Saturday). My mother sounds much better - stressed of course but no longer sick - and her sense of taste and smell are returning.
                                I already had a small whatsapp-chat with my father. Looks like the worst has passed.

Thanks for the support guys!

Back on the tread: In Belgium the numbers are again quite bad. The number of daily cases is approach a daily record, hospitlisations are increasing (not yet to the record level) and no slowing down of these increases in sight. They think the need of ICU beds may surpass the maximum capacity in this wave. The number of daily deaths is quite low though. In addition, most hospitalized with covid at the moment are unvaccinated people or older people who got their vaccinations a long time ago.
                                Last edited by VJ; 24 November 2021, 03:39.
                                pixar

Comment

Working...
                                X