No announcement yet.

WTF :2019-nCoV NovaCoronaVirus Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I finally got invited for an mRNA vaccine, either BioNtech or Moderna (probably the former as we don't get much Moderna). Jun 12th first shot. My wife, born one year earlier gets Janssen.
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

• I got my first on somewhere in April, and am scheduled for the second on June 1st. I got Pfizer.

It does seem things are beginning to open up. At the moment, only terraces are open, but the concept of an open-air terrace is quite flexible... People are really eager to go out, and even on more chilly days with big chance of rain, the terraces are full. Now is the second week since they reopened those, and so far it does not seem to have caused an increase.

Poland has decided to also organize a vaccination-related lottery, in order to get more people vaccinated. Surprisingly, the most reluctant age-group here is 50-70 year old.
      pixar
      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

• There may be a US govt reversal on the the idea of CoVid being released from a Chinese lab.

In the early days many were hammered for presenting this idea, but now a US intelligence agency is saying it's possible, and 18 top virologists & researchers expressed concern in an open letter to the journal Science.

After criticizing the idea during the election, Biden has now pulled the trigger on a 90 day review and investigation, and notably not giving full support to WHO's opinion.

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 27 May 2021, 03:41.
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

• There is a difference between "developed in a lab" and "released from a lab". Many earlier claims were hammering the idea that it was developed in a lab, which has been considered not true based on dna analysis.

There are many labs worldwide that study dangerous viruses, sampled from wildlife. While the lab could have been careless with procedures and so (and it would be justified to call them out on that), it does not imply malice.
          pixar
          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

• Originally posted by VJ View Post
            There is a difference between "developed in a lab" and "released from a lab". Many earlier claims were hammering the idea that it was developed in a lab, which has been considered not true based on dna analysis.

There are many labs worldwide that study dangerous viruses, sampled from wildlife. While the lab could have been careless with procedures and so (and it would be justified to call them out on that), it does not imply malice.
            Carelessness is so far the assumption, however it's sounding like in November 2019 3 workers there came down with an aggressive respiratory infection requiring hospitalization. The Chinese, like Nixon, chose coverup over openness and won't release the raw data. With the US partly funding that lab's research this isn't going over well at all, and the WHO's independence from China is in serious question.
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

• Got my 2nd shot of the Astra Zenaca COVID-19 vaccine on Friday. Just like with the first, zero side effects so far. Will be in CT for a few weeks from the end of July. Around 6-7 of my patients have died from COVID-19. The first one died in September and the last in March. I have lost a cousin to it, she was a nurse working in New York. I was among the first set to get the vaccine in Jamaica because as a GP I am at high risk. Also Diabetic and Hypertensive. Things are slowly settling down here. There is a nightly curfew of 8pm on weekdays, 6pm on Saturdays and 2pm on Sundays. This, coupled with the ongoing vaccination campaign has seen the 7 day moving average of daily cases drop from 700 in March to under 100 now. Both of my parents (aged 75 and 80) as well as my wife have got their first shot. To be perfectly frank my daily routine has not been drastically altered. I wake up go to the office and come home just as before. I do not go out as much as before. I have got used to wearing the mask. It is like being in the OT all day. (I hate surgery btw) I can't say I do not long for things to return to normal, but I am not losing any sleep over it. It is what it is and it wakes no sense stressing because things are not how I want them to be.
              Last edited by DentyCracker; 30 May 2021, 06:55.
              [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
              Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
              Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
              Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
              Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

• Originally posted by VJ View Post
                There is a difference between "developed in a lab" and "released from a lab". Many earlier claims were hammering the idea that it was developed in a lab, which has been considered not true based on dna analysis.

The only thing that has been refuted is usage of some common techniques for recombing viral genetic code. There are plenty of other methods available to skin that cat. In fact, absense of common techniques might be indirect proof of malicious intent as it would show that whoever was creating these recombined viruses might have been trying to hide their tracks.

Simply the fact that this virus originated in a city where a lab is located where gain-of-function research had been peformed on bat-corona viruses for many years had all my alarm bells go off.

Well... gain of function research on viruses that can cause pandemics, even as boldly as improvong their potential to infect humans, in a country with a long history of inadequate lab controls, constitute malice in my opinion.

And so does selling a class-4 biological containment facility to a country that is more than happy to perform this type of dual-use research, while your secret sevice warns you of the near-certain consequences of it.

Similarly I'd make this case for anyone that has been proven to be involved with funding such research when it was explicitly forbidden to be performed in western nations for these very obvious risks.

Comment

• Originally posted by dZeus View Post
                  The only thing that has been refuted is usage of some common techniques for recombing viral genetic code. There are plenty of other methods available to skin that cat. In fact, absense of common techniques might be indirect proof of malicious intent as it would show that whoever was creating these recombined viruses might have been trying to hide their tracks.

Simply the fact that this virus originated in a city where a lab is located where gain-of-function research had been peformed on bat-corona viruses for many years had all my alarm bells go off.

Well... gain of function research on viruses that can cause pandemics, even as boldly as improvong their potential to infect humans, in a country with a long history of inadequate lab controls, constitute malice in my opinion.

And so does selling a class-4 biological containment facility to a country that is more than happy to perform this type of dual-use research, while your secret sevice warns you of the near-certain consequences of it.

Similarly I'd make this case for anyone that has been proven to be involved with funding such research when it was explicitly forbidden to be performed in western nations for these very obvious risks.
                  We are in full agreement. Heads need to roll, especially those running interference for WHO and the lab, in govt. and the media. There are dirty hands in both. One of them is Fauci, who's flip-flopped so many times WRT CoVid policy he should apply to Cirque du Soleil.

And Fauci admitted NIH partly funded the "Bat-Lab".
                  Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 1 June 2021, 15:03.
                  Dr. Mordrid

Comment

• Had my 1st shot yesterday, Moderna. We are really picking up steam I think with over 1mln shots a week. About 84% says they'll take a vaccine and this is slowly rising. Infection rates and hospitalizations are declining rapidly but I am not sure to what extent the season affects this. We do see that the first groups to be vaccinated already showed declining infection rates when we were still in season so it definitely has an effect but the breakdown between the two I am not sure about. In any case, this summer we're going to France, Jipee!

I read vaccination rates in the US are falling off.
                    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

• MI: 10 million people

Saturday: 388 new cases, 72 deaths (including record reviews)

Detroit is still not vaccinating up to snuff; 13%. Many blacks are hesitant because of past medical "research" atrocities like the Tuskegee Study, which came to light in 1972.

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 7 June 2021, 10:09.
                      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

• Some data points:
                        UK 60%+ vaccination rate. Extended lockdown
                        Seems vaccinated can also die from delta but the sample I saw is small.
                        Israel 60%+ vaccinated, around 50% of new cases among already vaccinated
                        Russia has high number of cases despite about 20% vaccination rate and different vaccine
                        Mongolia 60% vaccinated with Sinopharm, cases going up
                        Australia in lockdown again

FDA added warning of risk of heart inflamation to vaccinations.

Seems vaccinations are not preventing the Covid spread, to some extent they are slowing it down.

I would like to foresee that autumn will be better but these data points seem to indicate it won't be. Enjoy summer and get ready for another wave.
                        Last edited by UtwigMU; 29 June 2021, 07:57.

Comment

• Outstanding!

Moderna Provides a Clinical Update on the Neutralizing Activity of its COVID-19 Vaccine on Emerging Variants Including the Delta Variant First Identified in India

Serum samples from eight participants obtained one week after second dose of the primary series in the Phase 1 clinical trial of the Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine

Serum neutralization assays performed on emerging variants including 2 additional versions of the Beta variant (B.1.351) and 3 lineage variants of B.1.617, including the Kappa (B.1.617.1) and Delta (B.1.617.2) variants

June 29, 2021 08:50 AM Eastern Daylight Time

CAMBRIDGE, Mass.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Moderna, Inc.*(Nasdaq: MRNA), a biotechnology company pioneering messenger RNA (mRNA) therapeutics and vaccines, today announced new results from in vitro neutralization studies of sera from individuals vaccinated with the Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine showing activity against variants of SARS-CoV-2.

Vaccination with the Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine produced neutralizing titers against all variants tested, including additional versions of the Beta variant (B.1.351, first identified in South Africa), three lineage variants of B.1.617 (first identified in India), including the Kappa (B.1.617.1) and the Delta variants (B.1.617.2); the Eta variant (B.1.525, first identified in Nigeria); and the A.23.1 and A.VOI.V2 variants first identified in Uganda and Angola, respectively. These data were submitted as a preprint to*bioRxiv.
                          >
                          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

• It's likely because spike protein is part of all virii.

What I'm curious is: Pfizer (PFE) is regarded a good dividend stock with about 4% yield. I was researching dividends late 2019 and I was researching pharma in February 2020 because I expected pharma to profit from Corona.

Pfizer is right ($39) where it's been in January 2020 ($38). So stock price of Pfizer does not reflect the success of the vaccine.

Moderna is x13 though.

Comment

• Originally posted by UtwigMU View Post
                              Some data points:
                              UK 60%+ vaccination rate. Extended lockdown
                              Seems vaccinated can also die from delta but the sample I saw is small.
                              Israel 60%+ vaccinated, around 50% of new cases among already vaccinated
                              Russia has high number of cases despite about 20% vaccination rate and different vaccine
                              Mongolia 60% vaccinated with Sinopharm, cases going up
                              Australia in lockdown again

FDA added warning of risk of heart inflamation to vaccinations.

Seems vaccinations are not preventing the Covid spread, to some extent they are slowing it down.

I would like to foresee that autumn will be better but these data points seem to indicate it won't be. Enjoy summer and get ready for another wave.
                              In the UK, AFAIK, they mostly use Astra which had an efficacy of about 67% for the Alpha variant, a bit lower for new variants? And it is only 50% that is fully vaccinated. And then the distribution of vaccinated people is biased as well so yeah, not that suprising really. I hadn't read that Israel had many infections amongst fully vaccinated people. Is that accurate?

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
                              And I am getting Moderna! 2nd shot in 18 days.

Comment

• Originally posted by UtwigMU View Post
                                It's likely because spike protein is part of all virii.

What I'm curious is: Pfizer (PFE) is regarded a good dividend stock with about 4% yield. I was researching dividends late 2019 and I was researching pharma in February 2020 because I expected pharma to profit from Corona.

Pfizer is right ($39) where it's been in January 2020 ($38). So stock price of Pfizer does not reflect the success of the vaccine.

Moderna is x13 though.
                                A current price at january 2020 levels is not bad at all; most shares (except sectors that have greatly profited such as tech) haven't recovered to those levels.

Comment

Working...
                                X