No announcement yet.

WTF :2019-nCoV NovaCoronaVirus Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah, only those who need processing power get microchips .

Comment

• Israel invalidates green passes for everyone who was vaccinated more than 6 months ago or hadn't had a booster shot.
      Israel has revoked all Green Passes issued to date, with the new guidelines limiting Covid-19 immunity status only to those who naturally recovered or received their latest vaccine shot within the past six months.

Here most took the shot to make life easier, some people I know personally had reactions (nausea, fluttering heart). Those people will become very pissed when they are told to now take shot every 6 months.

Comment

• Here research is targeting a universal Sarbecovirus mRNA vaccine. A "spike" made up of parts from several members of the family triggers an all-in response including against bat viruses.
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

• EU now decided to greenlight booster shot after 6 months and additional shot 28 days after 2nd shot for people with weak immune system. Vaxes are now biannual like Windows updates. You will need to take sacrament twice a year to be in communion with society.

A nursing home here which had all vaxed residents now has outbreak with 44 infected because they were extra careful and were one of handful which avoided outbreak last year.

Canada has ordered vaccines for 2022 and 2023 with option to extend to 2024.
          Last edited by UtwigMU; 4 October 2021, 14:20.

Comment

• Originally posted by UtwigMU View Post
            EU now decided to greenlight booster shot after 6 months and additional shot 28 days after 2nd shot for people with weak immune system. Vaxes are now biannual like Windows updates. You will need to take sacrament twice a year to be in communion with society.

A nursing home here which had all vaxed residents now has outbreak with 44 infected because they were extra careful and were one of handful which avoided outbreak last year.

Canada has ordered vaccines for 2022 and 2023 with option to extend to 2024.
            Meanwhile if we look at Hungary, Romania and Bulgaria: the first one has covid vaccination rates comparable to western Europe, while Romania and Bulgaria lag far behind. The number of cases are high or rising in Romania (as high as the UK) and Bulgaria, while the relative number of deaths in both countries is a big multiple of the UK. Hungary has relatively very few deaths of covid.

Comment

• Pfizer/BioNTech booster will be a full dose. Approved.

Moderna will be a half dose. FDA committee meets October 14/15.

Johnson & Johnson will get a full dose. FDA committee meets October 14/15.
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

• Slovenia made the news yesterday:
                Police in Slovenia’s capital Ljubljana clashed with crowds demonstrating against Covid restrictions, deploying horse-mounted officers, tear gas and water cannon to disperse people on the eve of today’s European Union summit there.

Biggest protests in 30 years. When soccer hooligans protest together with far leftists you know people are fed up with queuing and paying for tests (uni student needs to test to ride public transit) and worried vax vould be made mandatory. So far gov wanted to make it mandatory for some state workers, including army and police with a decree but constitutional court said they need to pass a law. Since government no longer has majority it will be tough, elections soon.

Sweden Denmark stop Moderna for younger age groups
                Sweden and Denmark said on Wednesday they will pause the use of Moderna's (MRNA.O) COVID-19 vaccine for younger age groups after reports of possible rare side effects, such as myocarditis.

Several countries including Slovenia stopped J&J.

Some countries stopped Astra Zeneca
                A TOTAL of 18 countries have suspended the AstraZeneca Covid vaccine due to fears it may cause blood clots. Oxford scientists who worked on developing the jab say no link has been found that the co…

I don't think anyone has stopped using Pfizer yet.
                Last edited by UtwigMU; 6 October 2021, 15:20.

Comment

• The latest public displays of discontent here have been after Biden's mandatory vaccination decree for many workers with many being fired; chants of "f*** Joe Biden" at sporting and other events. When it happened at NASCAR races in the deep south it was one thing, but then it spread to the NY Yankees/Mets game and northern/mid state NCAA football games.

NSFW
                  0 Followers, 708 Following, 4,356 Posts - See Instagram photos and videos from J Bird (@jay_bird)

Next year's mid-term elections could be brutal.
                  Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 6 October 2021, 19:35.
                  Dr. Mordrid

Comment

• Texas banned vax mandates after Southwest Airlines pilot walkout.

Southwest receives money from federal government which mandated vaccines for all federal contractors. Since it takes around a month to get both shots and be compliant pilots facing loss of job and paid sick leave did a walkout. 1000+ flights canceled over weekend due to "weather" and ATC because they are not liable for compensations. Other airlines did not cancel flights due to weather in same time.

Their customer support lines had 6-8h of hold. 4chan trolled their support forums so they shut them down.

Now Texas governor decreed ban discriminating on vax status for customers and employees.

All 3 airlines and many tech companies (HPE, Tesla moved from California) are based in Texas.

Comment

• It's not just Texas (or the US), and enough medical staff are vaccine resistant that the Gov of NY says she may need to use National Guard troops & out of staters to help fill the gaps.

I get the feeling a large number of people have reached the end of their CoVid rope, and govt may need to reconsider putting people out of work given next year is a mid-term election year.

The US House majority is already at very high risk with Biden deeply underwater.

Sept 26 (Reuters) - New York Governor Kathy Hochul is considering employing the National Guard and out-of-state medical workers to fill hospital staffing shortages with tens of thousands of workers possibly losing their jobs for not meeting a Monday deadline for mandated COVID-19 vaccination.
                      Biden RCP Approval Oct 13 2021-800.jpg
                      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 12 October 2021, 21:54.
                      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

• In Slovenia we have 53% vaxxed, 65% of adult population and 70% of 65y olds, 3d shot "boosters" for vulnerable groups.

Last year lockdown, now no lockdown but you need 3g (vaxed, recovered, tested) for everything but groceries. At work we mandatory HAG test once a week, that test is not valid for accessing services outside work

This time last year with 0 vaxxed we had:
                        ~1800 daily cases, now we have ~1800 daily cases
                        ~70 daily admitted hospitals vs ~70 today
                        ~10 admitted to intensive care vs ~10 today
                        ~8 dead vs 8 dead

chart
                        correlation chart

Despite 65% adult vaxx rate and around 1/3d of population recovered we have comparable number of cases to a year ago.

Anecdotally at work 2 coworkers are infected now, both double vaxxed, no prior Covid.

Most infections are from family, work, school, private gathering, so lockdowns only affect small share of infection spreads.

Government borrowed 5 billions last year and they haven't managed to increase hospital capacity.
                        Last edited by UtwigMU; 28 October 2021, 01:38.

Comment

• Originally posted by UtwigMU View Post
                          In Slovenia we have 53% vaxxed, 65% of adult population and 70% of 65y olds, 3d shot "boosters" for vulnerable groups.

Last year lockdown, now no lockdown but you need 3g (vaxed, recovered, tested) for everything but groceries. At work we mandatory HAG test once a week, that test is not valid for accessing services outside work

This time last year with 0 vaxxed we had:
                          ~1800 daily cases, now we have ~1800 daily cases
                          ~70 daily admitted hospitals vs ~70 today
                          ~10 admitted to intensive care vs ~10 today
                          ~8 dead vs 8 dead

chart
                          correlation chart

Despite 65% adult vaxx rate and around 1/3d of population recovered we have comparable number of cases to a year ago.

Anecdotally at work 2 coworkers are infected now, both double vaxxed, no prior Covid.

Most infections are from family, work, school, private gathering, so lockdowns only affect small share of infection spreads.

Government borrowed 5 billions last year and they haven't managed to increase hospital capacity.
                          You're comparing numbers for the original or beta variant with the current delta wave. The conclusion could also be that delta is that much more virulent and results in relatively more severe complications. That's what the research so far has shown as well.
                          Looking at the current covid wave progression in slovenia, it seems you are in the midst of the ramp phase. If Romania is any indication, death toll should go up spectacularly soon, but will likely not reach Romania-like levels as the Slovenian population has a higher rate of immunization.
                          The wildcard is how well the healthcare system can cope with the influx of ICU patients, as saturation leads to greatly reduced chances of recovery.

I believe in the right of self-determination to take this vaccine or not (especially since the current covid vaccines don't prevent break-through infections that well), just like you have (or should have) the right to smoke, eat unhealthy food, live an unhealthy lifestyle, etc. But at the same time I think it's pretty ignorant to not take the vaccine: most of all for population-at-risk, but also for all adults in general as Covid is going to stay here, and having antibodies against one variant (or from a vaccine) are very likely going to help against any possible subsequent waves with more virulent variants. The alternative is to get infected on purpose to get antibodies, but if you have to chose, the risks related to current vaccines appear much reduced compared to getting infected with the delta variant. So that ship may have sailed after the beta wave...
                          Last edited by dZeus; 28 October 2021, 07:10.

Comment

• Although o think I agree that vaccination can't be obligatory (but we can have a moral judgement on ppl that refuse), I do think we can and should Institute repercussions such as limited access to work (you can test), public places etc. It's not comparable to bad habits like smokimg/drinkimg/unhealthy eating but more driving under influence: endangering others.
                            Sure, with breakthrough infections, vaccinated can transmit too but nondrunk drivers case accidents as well: it's a matter of avoidable/dimishable probability.
                            I am on the fence about health care access. Same idea: wilfull endangerment of others, including crowding out care for others. Smokers do that as well perhaps but they pay specific taxes for decades, are not contagious and the load on health care is stable /predictable.
                            Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                            [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

• Originally posted by Umfriend View Post
                              Although o think I agree that vaccination can't be obligatory (but we can have a moral judgement on ppl that refuse), I do think we can and should Institute repercussions such as limited access to work (you can test), public places etc. It's not comparable to bad habits like smokimg/drinkimg/unhealthy eating but more driving under influence: endangering others.
                              Sure, with breakthrough infections, vaccinated can transmit too but nondrunk drivers case accidents as well: it's a matter of avoidable/dimishable probability.
                              I am on the fence about health care access. Same idea: wilfull endangerment of others, including crowding out care for others. Smokers do that as well perhaps but they pay specific taxes for decades, are not contagious and the load on health care is stable /predictable.
                              I don't agree that the unvaccinated pose a higher risk for others; in fact, with the current level of breakthrough infections and in case of a selective door policies to only allow in tested or vaccinated/recovered people, I would say that there's a false sense of security that will lead to increased spread among vaccinated (as well as between vaccinated and people-at-risk).
                              Vaccination only really is going to help reduce the chances of severe illness for oneselve.

Looking at the virulence of delta, level.of breakthrough infections in vaccinated, level of protection provided by the vaccine and futilemess of strict measures to stop covid (ie it doesn'), I believe that any measures should be focused on convincing at-risk population to get vaccinated for their own good, and make clear that covid is endemic and that we all will get infected with it sooner or later (probably multiple times as seasonal varieties will be able to partially escape build up resistance).

Authorities have some influence on keeping covid from saturating their healthcare system:
                              * Be honest about herd immunity never going to be achieved by current vaccines, that delta is sufficiently virulent that it's very likely to infect virtually everyone at some point and that the method with lowest risk to train your immune system in preparation of this is vaccination.
                              * Keep policies/guidance in place around working from home as a permanent reality, at least for the next 2-3 years.
                              * Keep masking/distance mandates in place, at least if they have been proven to help
                              * Increase ICU capacity as a higher-than-pre-covid influx will be with us for at least another 2-3 years if not longer

Comment

• Even though vaccinated become infected and spread, they do so for a shorter time at the least, perhaps (significantly) less often as well (conflicting research in e.g. UK and the Netherlands) . I don't see why we should invest in more ICU capacity when the need for it is manageable through vaccination. Their occupancy of ICU actually represents a real danger to others. Increasing ICU capacity isn't that easy to do quickly either.

I think identifiable at risk people are aware already but in reality, we're all at risk.
                                Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                                [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Working...
                                X