WTF :2019-nCoV NovaCoronaVirus Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ZokesPro View Post
    What about traditional Okinawa weapons? Can you carry those around?
    You mean empty hands or tonfa, bokken, nunchaku and the like?

Here tonfa goes in forbidden category while handguns, semi auto rifles are in sport or hunting category and are allowed to own if you meet legal requirements. You still can't carry them.

You could get collector permit for Okinawa weapons but requires checks, physical security of premises. Some are sold at martial arts shops, so it's probably gray area.

Bokkens are pretty comon in Aikido and Kendo clubs.
    Last edited by UtwigMU; 10 June 2020, 10:12.

Comment

• Originally posted by UtwigMU View Post

Here tonfa goes in forbidden category while handguns, semi auto rifles are in sport or hunting category and are allowed to own if you meet legal requirements. You still can't carry them.

You could get collector permit for Okinawa weapons but requires checks, physical security of premises. Some are sold at martial arts shops, so it's probably gray area.

Bokkens are pretty comon in Aikido and Kendo clubs.
      I mean tonfa, kama, nunchaku, sensetsukon, bo and sai. I don't own a bokken, at least not yet.

Funny how a beautiful piece of wood, shaped and even joined with a piece of string or another piece of wood is considered as dangerous as a firearm.

With social distancing now adays, there's no way I can even reach anyone with that range.
      Titanium is the new bling!
      (you heard from me first!)

Comment

• Originally posted by UtwigMU View Post

>
        I can, and often do, carry a SIG Sauer P320 .40 but can't carry nunchaku. Given recent blade law changes a bat'leth would be legal <shrug>
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

• So what is best when the CoronaZombieCalypse starts?
          Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
          [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

• Originally posted by Umfriend View Post
            So what is best when the CoronaZombieCalypse starts?
            Don't get weapons if you're not willing to put in the effort to become proficient in their use and don't get them if you're not ready to use them.

Top Ten Tips for Pandemic Gun Buyers (Part 1)

Comment

• Seems like we have 2nd wave coming. 8 new cases yesterday after we had 0-1. Almost all lockdown measures have been lifted, kids in school, masks recommendation, public transport. Many people went to Bosnia, Serbia and Kosovo after end of lockdown and brought the virus back. Quarantine for those countries starting tomorrow.

A 2nd lockdown will be politically hard for government. We have weekly protests with antifa - no violence so far and they are waning. Mostly the crowd who thinks government invented Corona virus to vaccinate them against flat earth under 5G.

Comment

• Our daily new case counts have been 30-ish statewide, with deaths <5.
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

• So our PM did a presser today and, as I understand it, aside from 1.5mtr, no singing along/shouting, wash hands, stay at home if you have any issues, there won't be many restrictions left after July 1st. Two months earlier than expected two months ago.

We have our testing at capacity now and effective demand falls short of capacity. Positive tests still appear to be declining and may end up at less than 1% this week.
                  Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                  [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

• Spiking US cases as younger people go out & mix, and "protesters" act stupid, but deaths are flat.

When 70-90% have either had CoVid-19 and recovered or have been vaccinated herd immunity will set in.

The Moderna (US) mRNA-1273 vaccine is entering Stage 3 trials in July, and is looking good in Phase 2. They and Lonza Group AG plan on quickly ramping to 500 million to 1 billion doses/year, and with FDA Moderna plans to begin production before the vaccine is approved in the US to get a head start on distribution.

7-day rolling average. Limited testing and challenges in the attribution of cause of death mean the cases and deaths counts may not be accurate.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
                      Spiking US cases as younger people go out & mix, and "protesters" act stupid, but deaths are flat.

When 70-90% have either had CoVid-19 and recovered or have been vaccinated herd immunity will set in.

The Moderna (US) mRNA-1273 vaccine is entering Stage 3 trials in July, and is looking good in Phase 2. They and Lonza Group AG plan on quickly ramping to 500 million to 1 billion doses/year, and with FDA Moderna plans to begin production before the vaccine is approved in the US to get a head start on distribution.

7-day rolling average. Limited testing and challenges in the attribution of cause of death mean the cases and deaths counts may not be accurate.

Couple of observations:
                      - You'll need to take into account a lag period between detected cases and resultant deaths. Perhaps 2-3 weeks?
                      - Some reports have been published of ICUs in danger of saturation, for example Houston TX; once saturation happens and there's no overflow capacity to surrounding ICUs, people might die that wouldn't have died with adequate care.
                      - There have been quite a few officials stating that the mass-demonstrations would not lead to increased Covid infections/deaths. While I don't know where and with which cohorts the increased infections have been detected in the past two weeks, these statements do have a strong smell of being politicized.

Comment

• We were nearly clear but then borders opened. Many people traveled to Bosnia, Serbia, Kosovo, espcially for ramadan and now we have 5-10 new daily cases. Illegal protests will also help the spread once clusters form.

Some countries are now on quarantine list and masks in closed spaces are mandatory again.

Went to Italy for the first time since February to stock up on coffee (cheaper) and Nutella. Mandatory masks, people waiting at 2m distance outside store, limited number of concurrent customers.
                        Last edited by UtwigMU; 26 June 2020, 07:55.

Comment

• Midwesterners tend to be good about the restrictions, "doing your part," and other such things related to the "Midwestern Nice" personality type.

Just don't piss us off; once our passive aggression cuts loose, whoh-boy...

It'll be interesting to see Michigan's new case numbers in 2 weeks; today is the annual Jobbie Nooner boat party at Gull Island (in Lake St. Clair), the 2nd largest boat party in the Midwest after the nearby Raft Off in August at Big Muscamoot Bay. Jobbie Nooner draws up to 100,000 people on 10,000 boats; beer, babes and boobs.

Cops have already said they aren't even going to try enforcing distancing & masks (or swimsuits).
                          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 26 June 2020, 09:57.
                          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

• The math for herd immunity without a vaccine is really not good.
                            I mean, you can play with coverage requirement and death rate. But with any reasonable starting numbers herd immunity takes a lot of dead people.
                            For the US:
                            330,000,000 Population
                            x
                            65% coverage
                            --------------------
                            214,500,000 cases
                            x
                            0.5% death rate
                            --------------------
                            1,072,500 deaths
                            Chuck
                            秋音的爸爸

Comment

• Interesting take.

Dr. Levitt: Stanford biophysics, 2013 Nobel in Chemistry (complex systems)

Michael Levitt @MLevitt_NP2013
                              Estimated burnout level based on data available for the Diamond Princess cruise ship in Feb. It is the one place heavily tested but only 20% positive. The DP extrapolated population death rate is about 0.1% for normal age ranges. Surprisingly both numbers are being confirmed.
                              |
                              Gummi Bear @gummibear737
                              Stockholm is the best population to test Covid theory whereby it was hit hard early and did not have lockdowns.

Nobel Prize winner Dr Michael Levitt postulated that the virus burns out when it has infected 15-20% of the population.

According to this, he's right

@MLevitt_NP2013

IMG_20200627_223704.jpg
                              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
                                Stockholm is the best population to test Covid theory whereby it was hit hard early and did not have lockdowns.
                                Problem with this statement is that they have a far less open social culture than many other countries. They did not lock down as such, because
                                1. Normal social life tends to play in small circles
                                2. A simple request from the government for people to further limit social gatherings is sufficient, as Swedish tend to trust their government.
                                So there is no need for a lockdown as such, even though similar effects are achieved.

Poland had a light lockdown, but the population was doing a much bigger effort than required by law; Belgium had a tight lockdown, but they had issues with people not following it and organizing lockdownparties.

Dangerous to just compare countries like that. I even assume there will be similar behavioral differences between different states in the US.
                                pixar
                                Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Working...
                                X