WTF :2019-nCoV NovaCoronaVirus Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arrived by car. No checks whatsoever.
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

• Went by train... There was a check of the covid passport when boarding the TGV in Lille (on the way there). And again at the hotel and at attractions (Sainte Chapelle, Eiffel tower, ...).
      No check on the way back (Thalys to Brussels).
      We had a covid passport check in the hotel in Germany.

Funny thing: on the way back we avoided Netherlands as it was indicated that from August 1st you need to register to pass through the country but not if you stay in it. An obvious mistake, which was rectified the next day, but as we drove on August 1, the 20km detour to avoid Netherlands seemed worth it just to avoid any discussion.... Especially with a foreign license plate.

I was surprised by the large number of free testing points in Paris. You can get a free test (result in 15 min) and the resulting pass is valid for 24 hours - I overheard this explanation while passing a test point. This does make me wonder about the big protests they have every Saturday: if you do not want to get vaccinated, you have the possibility for tests... for free.... Ok, a bit more limiting but at least no extra costs...

It was weird to see Paris so empty... Partly probably because of the restrictions to cars entering the city and the changed infrastructure: boulevards that used the have 5 lanes now have 1, with all the rest for bus and bicycles... But no queue at the Louvre... or at Sainte Chapelle... eery...
      Last edited by VJ; 13 August 2021, 04:42.
      pixar
      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

• There are free testing spots popping up here as well but the government says tests will be pay only in 10 days and required for employees to be able to work.

Comment

• Originally posted by UtwigMU View Post
          There are free testing spots popping up here as well but the government says tests will be pay only in 10 days and required for employees to be able to work.
          In MI testing and vaccinations are available at most major pharmacies and through local & county community outreach programs. Drive through & go.
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

• We, the Netherlands, have now surpassed the US both in first-shot and fully vaccinated. We started about two months later.
            Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
            [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

• Originally posted by Umfriend View Post
              We, the Netherlands, have now surpassed the US both in first-shot and fully vaccinated. We started about two months later.
              We're having a problem related to minorities, chiefly Blacks & Hispanics, due to past "studies" performed on them without consent - see the Tuskegee Syphilis Study.

As a result there's a general mistrust of govt health programs, so communities like Detroit are stick at 40% vaccinated.

There are also subgroups which have always been suspicious of vaccination, especially after the fake paper alleging vaccinations cause autism. Rinse, wash, repeat.
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

• And then there are Republicans, apparently, who fall behind as well and (as most are White and most Americans are White), they do matter in the statistics. Or is their distrust caused by Tuskegee as well?

Comment

And then there are Republicans, apparently, who fall behind as well and (as most are White and most Americans are White), they do matter in the statistics. Or is their distrust caused by Tuskegee as well?
                  There are Republican, Dems and Indies in the resisant groups. Many of these started on that path during the anti-vaxxer movement over autism, and the proponents were given a platform by media in NY, LA, etc; Robert F. Kennedy Jr, Jenny McCarthy, Dr. Oz, and dozens more. Plenty of blame to go around.
                  Dr. Mordrid

Comment

• Yep, crazies everywhere. But for the Covid-vaccines, most refusers appear to come from the GOP/Trump camp, no?

Comment

Yep, crazies everywhere. But for the Covid-vaccines, most refusers appear to come from the GOP/Trump camp, no?
                      No. As usual, it's more complex than partisan rabble-babble & memes make it out to be.

There are two major categories of people who refuse to vaccination; hesitant and resistant.

Hesitance is typically on the grounds the vaccine doesn't have full FDA approval, just "emergency use," and you'll find a fairly large number of medical staffers in this group including nurses. Others are just plain afraid of needles (WAY more than you'd think!). Full FDA approvals should start being released in September or October.

Resistance has many reasons; religious, those who don't trust the federal govt., and those who are misguided by anti-vaccine rhetoric over the last 25 years - usually on the grounds vaccines may cause autism. Even after the bogus autism research was discredited and papers withdrawn there are still proponents like Robert F. Kennedy Jr. and celebrities preaching it.

A June survey showed 18% of Republicans are hesitant and 19% are fully resistant.

60% of Blacks in Detroit (40% vaccinated) are either hesitant, resistant or don't trust any US govt health program because of the Tuskegee Syphilis Study. The impact of Tuskegee study and other medical ethics atrocities on both Black and Hispanic vaccination cannot be overstated.
                      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 17 August 2021, 14:36.
                      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Yep, crazies everywhere. But for the Covid-vaccines, most refusers appear to come from the GOP/Trump camp, no?
                        The daily number of people getting vaccinated is dropping a lot again in France. Seems like French Trump supporters are not swayed by the 'passe sanitaire'

Comment

• Originally posted by dZeus View Post
                          The daily number of people getting vaccinated is dropping a lot again in France. Seems like French Trump supporters are not swayed by the 'passe sanitaire'
                          I'd remind you that Trump initiated the Warp Speed vaccine development program, and suspended regulations which would get in the way.

Meanwhile, VP Harris wasn't so sure she'd take the vaccine if Trump approved it. Many blacks only heard the last part, which is part of the current problem.

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 17 August 2021, 19:34.
                          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

• This Detroit news report is about Black resistance due to the Tuskegee Study.

The State and local authorities are now recruiting Black clergy to get them to vaccinate. The clergy has a very large influence in their community.

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 17 August 2021, 19:51.
                            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

• Originally posted by dZeus View Post
                              It is dropping in the Netherlands as well but that is also as really most of the willing had their 1st shot already and many the 2nd.

Do we think we'll have new general restrictions (so not just aimed at unvaccinated) in October or somesuch?

Comment

• Here a government minister who was vaccinated tested positive recently and is in self isolation.

I think another lockdown is coming. Also I think public will become more aware that vaccinated can still get and spread Covid and already vaccinated + tested still go in quarantine in some abroad destinations already. People who got vaccinated thinking everything will be hunky dory will be a bit disappointed.

Comment

Working...
                                X