No announcement yet.

WTF :2019-nCoV NovaCoronaVirus Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Know all too well about restrictions and no water to wash a car and I will NEVER live in a BS place like that again run by a bunch of anal retentive ****s. WOW I hate these people. So I looked at the Bosch Pressure washer above. Ehh only 15bar's is just a hair over 200PSI is not really a "pressure washer" as it has no power. I don't recommend anything over 1500PSI for auto use. Do recommend a cheap 1100-1200psi AC electric pressure washers for cars because they are around $100 or less on sale. Be aware you cannot use bleach in the reservoir or run through any cheap machine. It will eat all aluminum in it's path ruining the unit in short order. For use with chlorine must use a commercial washer with ceramic pistons, where the pressure block is typically >$400 alone. My buddy is a painter, used cheap 2500 PSI gasoline powered PW's (engine is a must 4 what he does) for many years. Kept telling him to get something a bit more powerful like a 4000PSI that'll move at least 3 gallons per minute. Always used the excuse that these 2500's were CHEAP, buying them up used for $100, fix, fix, fix and run til engine dies, get another. He finally listened and bought a Mi-T-M 4000psi PW. It was stolen from a job and the boss man then took his good old sweet time to replace (months), so he went out and bought another, better, Aluminum frame lite weight full kit with a 6.5HP 389cc Honda engine, additional extension wands, hoses, path clearer (big one)... has enough power that they almost glued a brick to the top so it wouldn't fly off the ground. Can do all the second and third story's of a building standing on the ground. https://www.amazon.com/Mi-T-M-CA-400.../dp/B00J9HAVN6 only he purchased for $1600 with all accessories from Sherwin Williams with his discount. Machine is 125lbs so it's actually lite enough to load and unload by yourself (if you have to, still awkward) vs must have a second person to man handle the heavier steel framed units that are 175lbs and up. I just wish my Infiniti Q50 had a bigger trunk, can't even get something that big home. lol
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

• It's my strong hunch Sweden's way will end up being seen as the way to go, especially after months of hand-wringing overreaches & overprotective mothering by our Gov. Gretchen Whitmer.

Looks like the Legislature is taking her to court over her unilateral decrees on Separation of Powes grounds, and the US Dept. of Justice has tasked the US Attorney for Michigan's Eastern District to investigate state & local overreaches nationwide.

It's pretty bad when there are almost daily protests around the State Capitol building in Lansing, and don't let the media fool you - it's not all right wing Republicans carrying weapons*. The natives of all stripes are getting very restless.

* ~14% of Michigan adults have carry permits and we're an open (exposed) carry state so yeah, and some legislators also carry there.
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 3 May 2020, 13:41.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

• Countries, even Italy started opening up. We had two days with zero new cases. around 170 active cases in general population.

Hairdressers, shops not in malls and bar/restaurant gardens opened up. There is no more movement limitation to your commune.

Some additional sports are allowed, so gun range will probably open soon.
        Last edited by UtwigMU; 4 May 2020, 06:32.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
          It's my strong hunch Sweden's way will end up being seen as the way to go, especially after months of hand-wringing overreaches & overprotective mothering by our Gov. Gretchen Whitmer.
          Problem is that it is very difficult to compare countries. People in Sweden have a lot of trust in their politicians, and if there is the recommendation to stay home for your own and others benefit, then people are just doing that. So that negates the need for a lockdown. In Belgium, people seemed to want to be more mobile just because government told them to stay inside.
          In addition, social life in Denmark (and I believe Sweden is similar in this) is not the same as in many other countries: at 18.00 in Denmark, the city centers are void of people and people are just at home watching tv or so. Here in Warsaw, when the weather is nice, at that time people start coming out and they stay out till late in the evening.

So while it may show that Sweden can manage without a lockdown, don't forget to consider the local cultural and behaviour aspects!
          pixar
          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

• Originally posted by VJ View Post
            Problem is that it is very difficult to compare countries. People in Sweden have a lot of trust in their politicians, and if there is the recommendation to stay home for your own and others benefit, then people are just doing that. [...]

So while it may show that Sweden can manage without a lockdown, don't forget to consider the local cultural and behaviour aspects!
            I am repeating myself but....this.

On the other hand, given the local cultural and behaviour aspects in many parts of the US, those might exactly be reasons not to impose a lockdown or restrictions: If society won't accept them then they may do more harm than good...
            Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
            [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

• I went for a beer in town where we had 6 cases a month ago, most likely no infected by now. I was expecting full outside areas of bars as today it's the first time bars and restaurants can open but it was more like early March before any government lockdown with 5 people sitting in one restaurant and 10 in another. People are still being cautious. Normally you would have more people there this time of week on a nice day.

Behaviour of people is far more important than what rules government imposes.

For example we are next to region of Friuli Venezia Giulia with 1.2M people and 3k cases. Despite lockdown in Italy being more strict (we were always able to go for a walk in local area, while they weren't allowed to leave house except for shopping food or medicine) and coming a few days earlier we had half (1.5k) cases with double (2M) population.
              Last edited by UtwigMU; 4 May 2020, 11:39.

Comment

• We're in decline

Michigan (Tuesday),

New cases: 447 (down from 1,900+/day)

Deaths: 44 (36 +4 previous deaths added after analysis)

Total cases: 44,397

Total deaths: 4,179

Average age of deceased: 74.9
                Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 5 May 2020, 19:26.
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

• Vitamin D deficiency link

Reference...

Vitamin D levels appear to play role in COVID-19 mortality rates

Patients with severe deficiency are twice as likely to experience major complications

Date: May 7, 2020
                  Source: Northwestern University

Summary:
                  Researchers analyzed patient data from 10 countries. The team found a correlation between low vitamin D levels and hyperactive immune systems. Vitamin D strengths innate immunity and prevents overactive immune responses. The finding could explain several mysteries, including why children are unlikely to die from COVID-19.
                  >
                  Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 8 May 2020, 11:12.
                  Dr. Mordrid

Comment

wow, good to know, thanks for sharing!

Note to self, more vitamin D.

I'm currently following online university courses on COVID-19 and there's no official case of a person getting re-infected. In actuality it's the current infection that remains in the system a month after all symptoms having disappeared and it still seems to remain contagious during that time as well. The R naught have more than doubled as well in the past months. It also affects the part of the brain and/or nervous system that controls the breathing.

I hope humanity as a whole learns from this.
                    Titanium is the new bling!
                    (you heard from me first!)

Comment

• Originally posted by ZokesPro View Post
                      wow, good to know, thanks for sharing!

Note to self, more vitamin D.

>
                      Given our in-sane excuse for a climate Michiganders are chronically low on vitamin D 8-9 months a year, this weekend our temps are below freezing with snow & freezing rain - in May ferchrissake, so we adults are supplementing with 4,000-6,000 units a day. Medically supervised.
                      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

• I'm trying to take at least a brief walk once per day to catch some sun, though sometimes I only catch the moon.

We had a national test of representative population sample (1500 people). They found antibodies in 3% of people who didn't know they had Covid but had at least one symptom. So they think it's highly probable around 60k people were infected (3% of country population) with 1500 official cases, 117 in hospitals at peak, 29 on ventilators at peak and 100 dead.

Death rate was according to this 0,17%
                        Despite aggressive testing we only detected 1 in 40 cases.

We are one of success stories in Vox

Far left are already protesting new government on bicycles in 1000s.
                        Last edited by UtwigMU; 8 May 2020, 16:45.

Comment

Given our in-sane excuse for a climate Michiganders are chronically low on vitamin D 8-9 months a year, this weekend our temps are below freezing with snow & freezing rain - in May ferchrissake, so we adults are supplementing with 4,000-6,000 units a day. Medically supervised.
                          Yeah, it was great weather then boom, a snow storm out of no where this morning. Come noon, it was 10 degrees above freezing and the sun had melted it all. After work I keep on my with my new

I also hope that rebuilding my patio deck that fell apart will suffice for the vitamin D part.

Comment

• Originally posted by ZokesPro View Post
                            I'm currently following online university courses on COVID-19 and there's no official case of a person getting re-infected. In actuality it's the current infection that remains in the system a month after all symptoms having disappeared and it still seems to remain contagious during that time as well. The R naught have more than doubled as well in the past months. It also affects the part of the brain and/or nervous system that controls the breathing.
                            Are these open to the public, I am rather interested.

Isn't that somewhat comparable to Herpes? Over 50% is infected with it and never gets rid of it but "few" develop symptoms. Not sure about asymptomatic carriers are contagious.
                            Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                            [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

• There's the Colgate oral health network. It's free. Although it's for dentistry but it is highly relevant as they do generate a lot of aerosol. The other ones I followed with the University of Montreal were private links provided by email from the medical regulatory authority sent to my girlfriend. I doubt that one is open to the public although you may get access if you register yourself, I have no clue.

Comment

• Slovenia calls an end to its coronavirus epidemic, relaxes some border controls

The Slovenian government late on Thursday called an official end to its coronavirus epidemic, becoming the first European country to do so, after authorities confirmed less than seven new coronavirus cases each day for the past two weeks.

The country of 2 million people, which borders Italy, Austria, Hungary and Croatia, has so far reported 1,464 coronavirus cases and 103 deaths. It declared an epidemic on March 12.

“Slovenia has tamed the epidemic over the past two months... Today Slovenia has the best epidemiologic picture in Europe,” Prime Minister Janez Jansa told parliament earlier on Thursday.
                                Iceland is better and Belarus hasn't had an epidemic but we did pretty well.
                                Last edited by UtwigMU; 15 May 2020, 00:53.

Comment

Working...
                                X