Bragging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bragging

Our eldest son is now IT manager for a European multinational's North American operation, and he's recently been given assignments in South America. Kid's racking up air miles, with regular trips to Europe.

Started out at the bottom, then he solved a stubborn $million$ new product problem their multi-degreed engineers couldn't.

Zoommmm...gold ticket.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Congrats to Him.

The best way to go up is on Merit
    PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
    Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
    +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Originally posted by Evildead666 View Post
      Congrats to Him.

The best way to go up is on Merit
      Congrats!

My actual job title is IT Manager and they sent me to America once, but the job also involves end user problems, pulling cables, last minute documentation writing, getting elevator operational, keeping phones working (was told switch box stops working in 8 days, got new IP telephony hooked up a day before), translations, doing homework for bosses daughter, photographing corporate events, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by UtwigMU View Post
        Congrats!

My actual job title is IT Manager and they sent me to America once, but the job also involves end user problems, pulling cables, last minute documentation writing, getting elevator operational, keeping phones working (was told switch box stops working in 8 days, got new IP telephony hooked up a day before), translations, doing homework for bosses daughter, photographing corporate events, etc...
        I've written documentation, and for end users, the more images and arrows, and the less text, the better.
        PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
        Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
        +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Apparently the kid's getting a rep for out of the box solutions, sometimes out of IT because he has a large skill-set collection. Soaks 'em up like a sponge.
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
            Apparently the kid's getting a rep for out of the box solutions, sometimes out of IT because he has a large skill-set collection. Soaks 'em up like a sponge.
            Having a broad skill set and combining multiple fields is the key for success with upcoming automation and globalization. Some of the best IT people I've seen had formal education from completely different field, eg one of best security experts I know hasn't finished medicine studies, another studied medicine first and history latter, didn't finish any became millionaire and is now retired in his 40s and a third was politics science graduate.

I studied architecture and here is what some of my course mates do: one girl became a playboy bunny, one girl plays guitar in an all-girls metal band, one girl became Buddhist nun, one guy worked as successful stock broker, then did architecture and now teaches maths, another guy runs a large format printing company
            Last edited by UtwigMU; 20 October 2019, 14:59.

Comment

Nice! Must feel good to be a Proud Daddy!

But do tell him to stay hydrated during flights and have regular checkups.
              Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
              [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Congratulations to him! As Umfriend said, it must make you proud.
                pixar
                Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Congratulations to him and you as well
                  Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP
                  ***Matrox G400DH 32MB still chugging along happily in my other pc***

Comment

We're all proud of him, but given the work don't see him much. Not quite as bad as me with 3 on-call lists at the trauma center but...
                    Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                    X