X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matrox acquired by co-founder

SoonTM

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14858...d-by-cofounder

Matrox on Monday announced that Lorne Trottier, a co-founder of Matrox, has acquired 100% ownership of the Matrox group of companies, which includes three divisions: Matrox Imaging, Matrox Graphics, and Matrox Video.
    "Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

That made me come here. Haven't read the article yet. By the way currently using my computer as a hackintosh. Wonder if he's going to rename it to Trox. LOL
    [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
    Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
    Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
    Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
    Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Well I'll be damned....
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
        Well I'll be damned....
        Owners must be what 70 now. I remember there was Matic as an owner besides Trotier and I remember some hearsay that Trotier was more reasonable of the two.

Comment

Branco Matic and Loren Trottier The latter was responsible for the video side of the business

HeyO Denty!
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Greebe View Post
            Branco Matic and Loren Trottier The latter was responsible for the video side of the business

HeyO Denty!
            Maybe we'll get Rainbow Runner drivers for Windows 2000 now?!

Comment

Wasn't Matic connected to Dan Wood who was behind decision to axe performance graphics and go niche multi monitor.

Remembering my idealist outlook from Parhelia times (I'll build time bending black hole generating workstation with dual 3200+ Athlons and Parhelia which will enable me to create awesome digital content) I felt decision to go niche was wrong. But now in hindsight with business experience I have, the problem was they didn't have the capital to invest in new process technology and release something competitive against Radeon 9700 GeForce 6000 series. Since they were privately owned they would have to issue stocks and loose control and investing in high capital cost cutting edge short cycle technology is very risky from a business perspective. It would have been a very risky move from the business side and they could loose everything while downscaled niche Matrox was probably profitable and it's better for small companies to exist in niches where market is too small to be interesting for large players.

I still think the problem wasn't Parhelia per se. The leading GPU usually doesn't make that many profits apart from Quadro CAD cards and most of those cards sold are midrange. The problem was: once 450 die-shrink of G400 ran out (in 2000 they had like 15% GPU markeshare which was huge with all the players who still existed then) they didn't have G800 to shrink to sell to OEMs and G550 wasn't competitive against GF2 GF4MX. So while Parhelia and P-Series probably sold in niche and workstation markets they didn't have the bulk to sustain business. If they bet the farm on Parhelia2 (and they would also have to come with midrange DX9 GPU because of Vista) and that would have fallen short it would have probably sunk the company.
              Last edited by UtwigMU; 16 September 2019, 15:19.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveC View Post
                Maybe we'll get Rainbow Runner drivers for Windows 2000 now?!
                ROTFLMAO

OT, Anyone have the STL file for the MURC widget dohickey?
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                X