[40+] States to Launch Google, Facebook Antitrust Probes[

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [40+] States to Launch Google, Facebook Antitrust Probes[

A 40 state bipartisan effort to led by the AG of Texas.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/states-...es-11567762204

States to Launch Google, Facebook Antitrust Probes

WASHINGTONTop state law-enforcement officials from across the country are formally launching antitrust probes into Facebook Inc. and Alphabet Inc.s Google starting next week, further pressuring tech giants already under federal scrutiny over whether their online dominance stifles competition.

The moves, involving two large bipartisan coalitions of state attorneys general, add considerable heft to the investigative efforts under way in Washington. As in the governments antitrust action against Microsoft Corp. two decades ago, state attorneys general are likely to provide important contributions to the substance of the investigations, complementing the federal efforts.

"The states can play a crucial role in augmenting federal antitrust enforcement," said Gene Kimmelman, a senior adviser at Public Knowledge, a consumer group that focuses on tech issues. "Cases are so resource intensive that dividing the work could be enormously valuable to cover the entire digital landscape."

Details of the Google probe are to be disclosed at a news conference outside the U.S. Supreme Court on Monday. A bipartisan group of perhaps more than 40 attorneys general will join that effort, which is being led by Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton, a Republican, according to people familiar with the matter.

In a news release Friday, Mr. Paxton's office said the news conference will detail "a multistate investigation into whether large tech companies have engaged in anticompetitive behavior that stifled competition, restricted access and harmed consumers."
    >
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Maybe these states are running out of money and think by suing these companies they'll get a cut of the fines.
    paulw

Comment

Another motive is if the States file RICO civil cases in Federal court the discovery and results become useful in a DoJ RICO criminal prosecution.

So, the Feds may have encouraged the States to do this.
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Maybe there is a genuine concern that these companies actually affect competition in certain markets?
        Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
        [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend View Post
          Maybe there is a genuine concern that these companies actually affect competition in certain markets?
          Not to mention using their control over the national/international conversation to push their own special interests, violate privacy on a vast scale, etc.
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
          X